PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thomas Clayton returning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be a 54th man maneuver

I think they wish to keep Taylor on the roster...so this is a move to be sure they have enough RBs that will be able to play in Miami...My guess is Taylor is a scratch or possibly not playing...so insurance for the running game.

Chances of one of our aged RB's going down is alot higher than losing an OL.
The way Taylor and Morris have been constantly injured makes me wonder why one of them hasn't been cut already. If it wasn't for losing Faulk, my bet is one of them would have been waived by now.

Ya can't help the club from the tub.v :bricks:

Actually, I asked Reiss, and this was his response:

Andrew (Rochester, NY)

Mike, do you know if the pick we gave up for Ojinnaka is conditional? If so, are we still on the hook after cutting him today? It seems like a very poor return on investment, although I'm happy to see Clayton return.
Mike Reiss (1:10 PM)

Andrew, I don't believe it was conditional. My belief is that it was a straight-up seventh-rounder. They probably viewed it as insurance that they needed at the time, but they've been a bit careless with some of those 7s of late.

Hm. Not sure I like that.

Are you really that worried about losing a 7th round draft pick?

Considering first the situation at the time with mankins and Kaczur, secondly the number of 7th round picks that end up having little or no impact in the NFL, and third, the number of 1st and 2nd-year players already on the team, I don't know why the loss of a 7th round draft pick merits even a shrug of the shoulders.

Are you really that worried about losing a 7th round draft pick?

Considering first the situation at the time with mankins and Kaczur, secondly the number of 7th round picks that end up having little or no impact in the NFL, and third, the number of 1st and 2nd-year players already on the team, I don't know why the loss of a 7th round draft pick merits even a shrug of the shoulders.

Trading picks is one thing. Wasting them is another. Cassel and Edelman are examples of why you keep 7th round picks rather than wasting them needlessly.

Trading picks is one thing. Wasting them is another. Cassel and Edelman are examples of why you keep 7th round picks rather than wasting them needlessly.
I don't disagree that you don't want to needlessly waste draft picks - even 7th rounders - however consider the circumstances. As I recall the trade was made a day after it was announced Kaczur was going to need back surgery and about a week after the Mankins' negotiations turned for the worse. So at the time it seemed like a good tradeoff; even if, as it turns out, it was a bad trade and an unnecessary move.

Next draft is supposedly not very deep. I'm sure the front office has a rough idea of what these picks are likely to get them in the coming draft when they decide to burn them.

We also don't have a lot of projected free agents coming up next year; even if we don't sign any of our or anybody else's free agents, we now have as picks as open roster slots. And we have the UDFA streak to maintain damnit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes