PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This year's Matt Cassell

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2343005

Brett Elliott, a Division III player from Linfield College, who has had 110 touchdowns, 8614 yards and an NCAA-record 68.1% completion rate in two seasons :rocker: . Elliott wasn't invited to the combine despite these stats but scouts will still be able to see him on his Pro Day.

IMHO, this guy is easily my favorite dark horse rookie pick and would appear to make an excellent addition to the New England Patriots in the 6th or 7th round.

Last edited:
division III?

at least Cassell was #2 to a couple of Heisman winners and actually had the pedigree to compete in Div I...

...just sayin...

Flying Fungi said:
division III?

at least Cassell was #2 to a couple of Heisman winners and actually had the pedigree to compete in Div I...

...just sayin...
Poor kid got hurt at his first school and lost his job to the eventual number one pick in the 2005 draft.....of course, he did play in the Hula Bowl and was mildly unimpressive as the best of a bad lot. He would be a bigger project then Cassell was.

What we need at QB is a replacement for Flutie (if he's leaving), not a replacement for Cassell. To me, that says Free Agent, not Draft. We need a guy who's proven he can competently lead the team, not someone who may be great someday.

Mainefan said:
What we need at QB is a replacement for Flutie (if he's leaving), not a replacement for Cassell. To me, that says Free Agent, not Draft. We need a guy who's proven he can competently lead the team, not someone who may be great someday.

I concur but my candidate would be Jay Fiedler, ex-Dartmiouth, and the "manager type" QB who led the the Phish to multiple 10 win seasons...

I also see Bill drafting a QB every year on day 2 though, as the potential payoff is so high...

Yes, Fiedler is the kind of guy I'm talking about. Someone who may not be spectacular, and may have no upside at all, but who can do the job until Brady gets back or Cassell can step up.

I was just contemplating Cassel because I stumbled upon a 2005 draft review at condraft.com. This analysis of the Cassel pick bowled me over...the author almost seemed personally offended by the "arrogant" selection. It was the 7th round, for crying out loud! Why not roll the dice? How can ANY 7th-round pick earn an "F" grade out of the gate, absent a felony conviction, amputation, etc.?

The Pats totally threw away their 2 seventh-round choices, starting with the selection of QB Matt Cassell of U.S.C. Matt has not played any college football to speak of but reportedly throws a nice ball. He has virtually no chance to make this team, and will only make it if Pioli is able to convince the coaching staff that this arrogant ("see I can do it again"--ala Brady) pick must stay around. Grade: F

Patchick -
was that a quote from Wrong Borges? Or Felger?

Thanks in advance.

Flying Fungi said:
division III?

...just sayin...
Elliott played Division I-A school at Utah and actually started ahead of Alex Smith until he was injured. He chose to go closer to his hometown for whatever reason.

Might have been better for the 49ers if he hadn't gotten injured...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes