PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This will NEVER get old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troy Brown, charter member of the Patriots Ring of Honor.

You saw it here first.

Still brings chills. That was unbelievable.

BTW, WTF is Summerall talking about when they show Vinatieri warming up and he says pulled the kick. It looked to me like it went right through the uprights.

Willie55 said:
Still brings chills. That was unbelievable.

BTW, WTF is Summerall talking about when they show Vinatieri warming up and he says pulled the kick. It looked to me like it went right through the uprights.

Too funny, I thought the same thing to.

Also, when Adam kicks off at the beggining, Summerall says "it's a short kickoff" as Murphy fields it inside his own 5 ( or close).

lets say Summerall was little past his bedtime.

But for me, being a football fan back to 1970, it wouldnt have been as special had Summerall and Madden not been doing the game. Summerall was the voice of the NFL for me growing up (along with Ray Scott and Curt Gowdy). So it was perfect having him do the game.

not to mention Paul McCartney and U2. It was the perfect sports moment in time for me. And it was always be ahead of the Red Sox beating the Yankees, although that is a solid #2 on my list.

3 to be 4 said:
lets say Summerall was little past his bedtime.

But for me, being a football fan back to 1970, it wouldnt have been as special had Summerall and Madden not been doing the game. Summerall was the voice of the NFL for me growing up (along with Ray Scott and Curt Gowdy). So it was perfect having him do the game.

not to mention Paul McCartney and U2. It was the perfect sports moment in time for me. And it was always be ahead of the Red Sox beating the Yankees, although that is a solid #2 on my list.

You said RED SOX.

Be prepared, the attacks will begin soon. The whiners and cryers will want this thread moved immediately or they will spit up their oat meal.

Last edited:
Goosebumps, big time. I wonder 20 years from now if I'll still get chills watching that.

Has to be the most memorable game in Boston Sports history in my mind.

I think that's the first time I've ever heard the comments from Summeral and Madden. There was too much screaming, cajoling and begging at the bar where I wached it live.

I always wondered why they ran off the last few seconds on the clock after the kick went through. It seems like there was time at least for a kickoff.

Yup, still pumps me up. That drive changed this region forever. It showed us that we are not cursed and we have reason to be optimisitc. I honestly believe that without that drive, the Red Sox would not have won the world series and who knows what the Pats' fortunes might have been. A loss in the SB after controlling almost the whole thing would have been devastating.

Last edited by a moderator:
By and large that has to be one of the worst calls in one of the most dramatic endings in the history of the NFL. Only Madden's blubbering reversal saved it. Thank God Gil had the radio call which supplanted the flat tired Summerall meanderings for all time. Pat seemed to have been thrown for a loop from the moment they chose to be introduced as a team. As Summerall says they better hurry up Tommy is calmly walking to the line, spikes the ball and catches it deftly on his fingertips. Pure magic.

And that warmup kick went right through the uprights unless you cross your eyes. :rolleyes:

sdaniels7114 said:
I always wondered why they ran off the last few seconds on the clock after the kick went through. It seems like there was time at least for a kickoff.

For the drama of having a game-winning kick, by the under-dog, in the Super Bowl.

cant type, too busy crying

thats scary to watch

I have Gil's call on 3GTG1, but I never really hear it, and I didn't hear Summerall's call that night either.

EVERY time I watch that final drive, I do the same thing, scream at the top of my lungs, ITS GOOD, ITS GOOD.
Did it during the game, and will do it until the day I die. My absolute favorite New England sports memory.

i know technically Summerall was out to lunch that whole game but, like I said, if you have a feel for the history of the game, and what his voice meant to it for so long, there is no other announcer in the world i would rather hear the words "....and the Patriots have won Super Bowl 36" from. It just wasnt as magical when Greg Gumbel and Joe Buck said it in 2003 and 2004.

sdaniels7114 said:

That instituted a quiet rule change that summer that all FG would run no more than 5 seconds off the clock..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back