Welcome to PatsFans.com

This whole thing actually worked out pretty good...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Armen Da Pats Fan, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armen Da Pats Fan

Armen Da Pats Fan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Under the circumstances, it could have been a lot worse.

Consider the following points:

1) Yes, the Pats lose their #1, but in all honesty, that first rounder is a low round pick. Since it only kicks in if the Pats make the playoffs, it would be between 20 - 32.

2) It actually hurts New England worse if they DON'T make the playoffs, since they would lose TWO picks, and to Belichick, quantity of picks is golden.

3) I believe we still have the #1 pick from San Fran pick, which based on that team, is probably going to be bwteen 8 -15.

4) Belichick does not get suspended.

5) $500k to Bill and $250k to the Krafts is a lot of dough, but I really don't care because it's not my dough and it doesn't count against the cap.

6) (And to me, this is the biggest point) - The old "us vs. them" mentality is back in Foxboro and that always means success. This team wins when they have adversity and they have arguably the biggest dose of adversity they have ever had as a franchise with CamGate.

Mix that in with the talent we have, and I just have this feeling that we are going to kick a lot of bootie behind the whole "rabid, pissed off, beaten pit bull" persona.

2. Armen Da Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Not to mention that Jets fans are absolutely nuts that we didn't get whacked hard enough.

Heard one from New Jersey crying on NFL Radio this morning that BB should have gotten 4 games.

4 GAMES!

What a maroon!

I love that they tried to set us up and all they really did was piss us off.

My dad used to always say it and it's too bad Mangini didn't learn this:

"Let sleeping dogs lie..."

3. true_patriot

true_patriot Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I am actually lot more happy and cheerful than I was on Tuesday morning. Whew!!! This was a close one. This could have ended up lot more complicated and ugly. May be its Bill's reputation, Kraft's influece....whateva!
    Back to football!

4. chris66

chris66 Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm still asking myself whats the point in the first place, signals are useless and know the entire nfl looks at the organization differently. Plus we lost the pick to boot

5. FirstAndGoal

FirstAndGoal Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +101 / 2 / -0

I think people underestimate the impact of this first round. Yes, we have/had two but we have a couple of receivers that are probably gone after this year, and aging linebacker core, and need help in other spots in the next few years. In the long term, this will hurt us. I have no doubt about it. Athough we can get players through free agency, it will cost us.

6. LoganMankinsPancakeBlocks

LoganMankinsPancakeBlocks On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I disagree. With this teams track record on 1st round picks, I think losing a 1st rounder completely sucks. It's possible we just lost the next Warren, Wilfork, Mankins, Maroney or Watson for nothing.

Obviously, the organization will be fine and we are one of the very few teams who can lose a 1st rounder and it's not a big deal at all...but I'm still disappointed. They are just automatic when drafting in the 1st round.

The chances are we just lost a solid starter for many years over something stupid. Not an exchange I'm in favor of, to say the least.

7. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +416 / 31 / -48

#50 Jersey

If getting signals was useless, then why was Shanahan hiring a lip-reader with binoculars? Having a VIDEO is useless for that game, but not for follow-up games.

Using the information for the next game you play against them will help. You can look for tendencies in posture and facial expressions. You can also get an idea of who will be calling in the signs as the primary or decoy.

8. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

Losing a 1st rd pick is HUGE, and I will never forgive the NFL commissioner, or the gang of jackoffs on the competition committee for imposing this absurd punishment. The draft is the life's blood of a franchise, and they just turned off the spigot, out of jealousy or folly. Any Pats fan who finds this "acceptable" is fooling himself. It exceeds the penalties doled out against far worse violations, such as those committed by the Broncos and 49ers.

9. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -1

It's really not too bad (although I think we should have lost a 3rd rounder rather than a 1st). I think the fact that we had 2 1sts played into the decision as the commish didn't have to knock us out of the 1st round with his decision.

I was one who thought the Pats should appeal if the NFL played hardball, but I was strangely relieved when I read the punishment. The days on end of teeth gnashing wondering what was going to happen was worse than the actual punishment.

Now lets focus on the Chargers.

10. kurtinelson

kurtinelson In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 5 / -2

#37 Jersey

I don't think there is any positive spin on losing a 1st round draft pick.

11. true_patriot

true_patriot Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No one is saying its a good thing. The point Armen is making here - correct me if I am wrong - losing a 1st pick certainly beats non having BB for 4 games. I know its a 1st round pick, there is no way to sugar coat it, but look it could have been..1st round pick, 500K fine AND suspension of 4 games! That's what I am saying..

12. Armen Da Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Correct. That is exactly what I meant.

It could have been a lot worse.

To me, losing Belichick for multiple games could cost us games THIS year, with a team we kNOW is loaded.

1st round picks, while certainly high percentage, are not locks.

And I think BB actually likes finding that diamond in the rough in the later rounds.

Making a personnel call on players in early rounds in one thing, but where Belichick & Pioli really shine is when they do the extra work & preparation to find guys later in the draft.

I think that's why they like to stockpile picks. It gives them leverage and portability.

13. Bobs My Uncle

Bobs My Uncle PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +103 / 9 / -2

#12 Jersey

I think losing any form of pick for this petty infraction is ludicrous.

I'm just thankful that by the league admitting the sideline fiasco didn't involve the Pats cheating in any way, that the cheat label cannot be rightfully tagged to this team. Not in that first game and not any game prior.

That would have been an injustice on this franchise that would have been monumentally unfair and which would have cast serious questions on the integrity of this game.

14. sieglo

sieglo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

+1. I'd rather take a one or two game suspension than lose the first rounder. Whatever. Goodell has shown that he is beholden to the mob. I have no respect for the douche.

15. Armen Da Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Agreed. But I would rather lose a 1st rounder in a year where we have a second one than lose my coach for multiple games during a season where I am looking at a team loaded for a championship run.

Just my opinion on that.

16. FirstAndGoal

Ratings:
    +101 / 2 / -0

I fail to see the logic in that. It could have been the next 10 years by that logic.

The question is whether the punishment fits the crime and it doesn't IMHO and for those who think that they'd rather lose a first than have BB suspended, are nuts. The impact of a 1st rounder is much more than let's say...a 3rd and a 4 game suspension for BB. A first round draft pick's impact is huge. Look at our first rounders and imagine one of them gone.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  17. makoute

makoute In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +40 / 2 / -0

Especially for something that everyone keeps saying the coach wasn't getting anything out of.

18. Armen Da Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Well, I guess that polarizes the two schools of thought on this then.

Group #1 is glad to keep the coach and give up the pick.

Group #2 would rather have the pick and lose the coach for a couple of games.

Group #1 is probably more focused on winning right now.

Group #2 is probably thinking more about the long-term health of the franchise and the future pick.

No right or wrong answer here, IMO. Just differing perspectives on which scenario represents greater value to the team.

19. PATSgotRINGS

PATSgotRINGS Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good point

I think BB is even more motivated now to win another Super Bowl.

20. FirstAndGoal

Ratings:
    +101 / 2 / -0

Let's assume that you lose Bill for 4 games. Do people really think the rest of the staff and team aren't up to the challenge? So... maybe they lose one more game than they would have lost. I still don't think it makes a difference in the division.

Now, let's say you lose a first rounder, that's a definite impact on this organization.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.