PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This Week's Game Could Answer Some Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat_Nasty

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
...about BB's motivations at the end of LAST year.

A lot of people are of the opinion that the Pats rested starters in week 17 last season because they'd rather play that Jaguars in the WC round than the Steelers. I always thought it had nothing to do with who the Pats' opponent would be, but, rather, was entirely about getting the starters a light week in lieu of a bye to get them rested and healthy.

The way I figured it, BB believes in only focusing on what he and team can control -- putting themselves in the position to play their best football in the playoffs.

This season, it seems clear that the #3 seed would give us the easier WC opponent in the Jets, as well as saving us a cross-country trip if we make it to the divisional round. If BB really was trying to avoid the Steelers last year by losing, it would make sense he would try to avoid the Broncos this season by winning.

If, on the other hand, he was simply thinking about getting his starters some rest, it would make sense that he'd do the same thing this year.

It will answer nothing. Completely different situation. Last year he KNEW the opponent alternatives.

One thing left unsaid in your post is the main reason for a tank-job last year, IMHO.

NE knew who their opponent would be if they lost a week before the actual game. That gave them an extra week of preparation for that team. Since the #6 seed depended on the outcomes of the final week, no extra preparation would be possible for that team.

This year, NE's opponent is completely out of their hands whether they win or lose.

Assuming that my reasoning was the real motivation - the extra week of preparation - then what NE does this week really won't shed much light at all.

One thing I am damn sure of, though. NE was *not* afraid of facing Pitt and would have beaten them soundly.

Every week the team is faced with answering unanswered questions only to leave questions unanswered again ... WTF kind of thread is this. Tell me of a sports team with all questions answered and I'll have that coach pick my Powerball #'s for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes