PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This week's "Friday Out-Takes..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article. Wonder if ESPN would ever take a similar stance on such a "classy" guy.

Thanks! Hoping to get some ideas from Patsfans folks for next week and the ones that follow. PM me, if you have any!

Thanks! Hoping to get some ideas from Patsfans folks for next week and the ones that follow. PM me, if you have any!

This should be moved to the NFL Forum as it has nothing to do with the Patriots.

If Ian has given you a pass based on this being parked at the Patriot site, then that's cool.

That said, I read your column last week and again this week - I'm no writer, but it's a difficult read (perhaps I'm just not that smart). It's littered with Pop Culture references (albeit mostly sports related) and reads like a trip thru a dyslexic insomniac's nightmare.

Too harsh? Don't take it that way, John. You're a good egg and I know Fred has entrusted you with a certain amount of latitude with this article.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't try so hard to be funny - see: Dennis Miller.

We're sports guys and gals - simple folk, or at least I am.

Last edited:
This should be moved to the NFL Forum as it has nothing to do with the Patriots.

If Ian has given you a pass based on this being parked at the Patriot site, then that's cool.

That said, I read your column last week and again this week - I'm no writer, but it's a difficult read (perhaps I'm just not that smart). It's littered with Pop Culture references (albeit mostly sports related) and reads like a trip thru a dyslexic insomniac's nightmare.

Too harsh? Don't take it that way, John. You're a good egg and I know Fred has entrusted you with a certain amount of latitude with this article.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't try so hard to be funny - see: Dennis Miller.

Well put in all counts..

Ian was generous enough to tell me it was fine to put here. Given that it's posted on Patriots.com, I assumed that was Patriots-related enough. At times it will include stories on the Patriots.

As for your criticism, I'm certainly open to it. I don't consider myself trying all that hard to be funny, it's a fun column to write and isn't a big strain. I've gotten overwhelmingly positive response, but the negative responses certainly give me things to think about, and I'll take it into account. You learn more from those, anyway, I guess.

As for the pop-culture references, they are part of the schtick, and part of the gig, so while I'm sorry you don't get or enjoy them, I'm pretty happy with them and don't see them going anywhere. I'm trying to do the job that has been asked of me.

The "reads like a trip thru a dyslexic insomniac's nightmare. Too harsh? Don't take it that way, John." is pretty hilarious, but that kind of thing comes with the territory, I guess. I'm not sure in what way it's confusing, but I do hope you'll keep reading and get something out of it.

I don't think most people are simple folk, including you, but maybe our difference in tastes, which is obvious, (else why would something relatively easy come across as "trying" to be anything?), has to mean my column is inaccessible. I'll hope to make it more accessible while maintaining what is intended to be not just your regular NFL snippets column.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back