Welcome to PatsFans.com

This Week in our Recession - January 13-18 2013

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Jan 18, 2013.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +560 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Gasoline Consumption

Gasoline useage continues downward trend and it has almost nothing to do with higher mileage cars. We are now almost at 2001 consumption levels. Gasoline consumption has not only declined, but the rate of decline has accelerated at it's highest rate in 2012.

See attached consumption chart (source below).

Weekly Petroleum Status Report - Energy Information Administration

New Mileage Tax?

Sure...why not? Guess we're gonna see federal, state & local tax increases until our incomes are whittled down to shiit. But heck, at least we'll continue to use less gasoline and our roads will look purty!!

New pay-per-mile scheme would boost taxes 250 percent

New pay-per-mile scheme would boost taxes 250 percent | WashingtonExaminer.com

Americans Tapping into 401k's

25% of Americans with 401k's are withdrawing money from their 401k's just to pay their bills!

401(k) breaches undermining retirement security for millions

401(k) breaches undermining retirement security for millions - The Washington Post

THE GOOD NEWS

Fed discusses breaking up banks that are "Too Big to Fail"! Well that would be terrific....but color me skeptical.

Fed hawk voices doubts over benefits of bond buying - chicagotribune.com

Attached Files:

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

"Washington Examiner", you are aware that is a free agenda driven newspaper..

Not much if any of your captioned article has to do with recession, guess your need for attention and self engrandizement outweighs intellectual curiosity..

Keep googling "ain't it awful" and you will find all the "real" articles on World Net and News Max..

3. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 30 / -34

darryl, it gets pretty old reading you refute sources when you don't have anything meaningful to add.....

you're about as legit as titus and his peak oil........but feel free to keep making noise, because that's all it is

4. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +560 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

You were "Liked" by the Hebeill anyway!!

You're the one who loves to google so you can state your opinion, not me. Without the internet, I doubt you'd be able to discuss much at all.

Didn't you at least like the idea of breaking up big banks?

Talk to me in "4 More Years!"...K?

Quick question. Without discussing any past president, how many promises do you think Obama will break by the time he's done?

Let's start with his promise to cut the national debt in half by the end of his first term....K?

Try not to google anything when composing your answer.

5. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +912 / 6 / -9

A better question is why you think this is relevant, since it's really only useful in relative terms anyway.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,128 / 3 / -10

Didn't you used to quote from "Stormfront"-----:confused:

7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +560 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Shouldn't you be asking president Obama that question? I mean if it's not relevant, why make a promise to 300 million Americans on national television about it?

8. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +912 / 6 / -9

Why would I ask? I don't care and I'm not the one feigning outrage because he hasn't kept every single one of his promises, just like every single other president in history.

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +560 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Without bring up past presidents....nice job!

At least you didn't use the childish term, "situational outrage"....

10. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +912 / 6 / -9

As I said, there's no point in examining this in a vacuum, unless you're trying to hold Obama to a unique standard. Which certainly wouldn't surprise me.

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +560 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Well, it also surprises you that I voted for him the first time....

I agree we shouldn't hold politicians to every single little promise they make. But one like cutting the national debt in half isn't a little one. Neither is his promise not to increase taxes upon those earning less than $250k. We absolutely should hold him accountable on those 2 promises.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  12. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +912 / 6 / -9

Which taxes are you referring to?

You know had Obama cut the deficit in half as he'd promised we'd be in much, much worse economic shape than we are currently, right? That's one promise I'm glad he broke.

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +560 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

His promise referred to ANY federal tax (would not be increased on those < $250k). But I get you're avoiding an answer...

We're either gonna pay now, later or get bled to death over a number years...take your pick.

14. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 30 / -34

wouldn't it be easier for you to simply say 'I don't know' when you don't know?

15. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 30 / -34

and you know this how?

oh yeah, that's right.....you don't know

16. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +912 / 6 / -9

I'm asking you for specifics. How that translates to my avoiding giving an answer is beyond me.

Oh, so there are only two choices? Instead of, say, getting the economy going again, in which case the deficit problem essentially fixes itself.

17. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +912 / 6 / -9

Wouldn't it be easier for you to attempt a constructive contribution to the discussion instead of this lame anklebiting nonsense?

18. JackBauer

Ratings:
    +912 / 6 / -9

You know this by virtue of having a basic understanding of macroeconomics, as well as the ability to interpret empirical evidence of countries who have gone down that road.

Oh, and then there was the IMF report out last week that arrived at the same conclusion. And then there's always the CBO's findings on the budget sequester.

But by all means, continue pretending like you know what you're talking about.

19. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +816 / 27 / -33

Would think that the pajama economist would have a better understanding of what Recession actually means, instead of begging the issue.. there is growth in our economy, slow but growth.

The Washington examiner was started by a multi billionaire Anschutz, he envisioned creating a conservative competitor to The Washington Post. According to Politico, "When it came to the editorial page, Anschutz’s instructions were explicit — he 'wanted nothing but conservative columns and conservative op-ed writers,' said one former employee." The Examiner's conservative writers include Byron York (National Review), Michael Barone (American Enterprise Institute, Fox News), and David Freddoso (National Review, author of The Case Against Barack Obama.

The reality is that the economy is still not doing well, but doing better, there are many positive signs...

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...g-homes-since-construction-fell-off-08-bubble

Claims for unemployment aid drop to 363,000

US Auto Sales: Chrysler December 2012 Sales Up To Five Year High

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.d...strong-december-sales-build-momentum-for-2013

20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +560 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

But you're not asking specific questions are you. You're remaining vague purposefully.

What do you need specifics for? If people under $250k end up paying more federal taxes for any reason, it's a broken promise. If deductions are reduced or if rates go up, it's an increase either way. Even if a new tax is introduced, he breaks his promise there as well.

but for shi ts & giggles, let's talk federal income taxes. No one under $250k should see an increase in rates (or a decrease in deductions) until we swear in the next POTUS in 2017...right?

Our government can't fix what's wrong with our economy. It has to fix itself. Even if the federal gov't hired an additional million people, that couldn't "fix" anything. It's all about bad debt..both public & private combined with slowing global growth.

We are likely seeing the new normal.