PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This Week in David Givens....

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Signs a 5-mill per season contract, people anoint him the #1 WR, he starts out slow, complains a bit about not getting enough touches, and in week 4...

1 catch. 3 yards. 2 "ha"s.

P.S. The grass, greener on this other side, says hi.

He got exactly what he asked for by signing with Tennesse. Very entertaining to watch along with the Willie in Cleveland story

BradfordPatsFan said:
but think of what the Pats are missing!

very true. Branch and Givens both could end up sucking - Branch won't, for sure - and it still wouldn't matter. WE miss them in the lineup. Hopefully Gabriel and CJ will continue to progress.

patsox23 said:
Signs a 5-mill per season contract, people anoint him the #1 WR, he starts out slow, complains a bit about not getting enough touches, and in week 4...

And through half time of game four, Branch's season stats are 4 catches for 73 yards, and 0 TDs. Now, last week was his first game and all, but it's still fun to say.:)

patsox23 said:

Yeah he's definately off to a slow start with the Titans but I'll give him a pass for this game because of Young starting instead of Collins. You usually see different WRs getting the catches with a new QB in there.

wow, harsh. i cannot blame Givens one bit... he was a 7th round pick and that doesn't get you much dough. He can get injured on any play, and success in sports for mid-level guys can be fleeting, so he cashed in when he had the chance. it's not like the Pats offered him anything similar and he didn't take shots at the team on the way out.

patsox23 said:
in week 4...

1 catch. 3 yards.

You are unfairly understating his production this week by a full 50%! In addition to the 1 catch for 3 yards, he also had 1 rush for 3 yards. Double the production! ;)

patsox23 said:

Pfft. I'd do it for 4-mil per season. :nono: Titans

TomBrady'sGoat said:
wow, harsh. i cannot blame Givens one bit... he was a 7th round pick and that doesn't get you much dough. He can get injured on any play, and success in sports for mid-level guys can be fleeting, so he cashed in when he had the chance. it's not like the Pats offered him anything similar and he didn't take shots at the team on the way out.

Exactly, I don't get the hate for Givens. He had a great tenure in New England and both teams moved on. It's time for fans to move on too. I hope he succeeds in Tenn. (Just not against us.)

The best part about this is that it reinforces the belief around the league that many Patriots are "system" players, further depresssing the FA value of the players we want to keep.

R

bball831 said:
Exactly, I don't get the hate for Givens. He had a great tenure in New England and both teams moved on. It's time for fans to move on too. I hope he succeeds in Tenn. (Just not against us.)

Good God, you people need to relax. I started this thread as a little poke at the WR's who left, especially compared to the production we're getting out of players like Gabriel and Caldwell, at a fraction of the cost. Take a breath.

I like David Givens and wish him well - I think he was short-sighted, though, if he thought he'd be a #1 WR. One more example of the Patriots being fiscally smart. Deion Branch situation was the exception. Givens is the rule.

Last edited:
njpatsfan said:
The best part about this is that it reinforces the belief around the league that many Patriots are "system" players, further depresssing the FA value of the players we want to keep.

R

EXCELLENT point.

I don't know why people are hating on Givens. He fulfilled his Pats contract and went to a team that grossly overpaid him. Good for him! Winning is great, but he got a contract the Pats weren't going to come close to touching. Plus everything can change next year with the Titans.

Branch on the other hand....

I don't disagree. I just don't think - as the originator of the thread - that we're "hating on him." Can we enjoy the fact that at least THIS player defection hasn't been so traumatic so far?

I never jumped on the Givens bandwagon when he was here so I won't be too harsh on him leaving either. To be honest, I never saw in him what others saw in him.

I felt he was a big, decently fast receiver who could create some space in the middle for the other guys. He can't run all the routes and he was never much good after catching over the middle.

I always had him as our #3 with Branch our #1. I never felt that we had a legit #2. Only Branch's quickness and intelligence made him into a #2.

i don't see him anywhere near as good as Gabriel overall and nowhere near the talent Jackson has. he had little to no seperation on plays today...he really never had much here either...he had Brady throwing to him pure and simple.

Hope he enjoys his money...when he gets cut he'll become one of those 1 mill and 1.5 mil players...because that's all he is.

TomBrady'sGoat said:

Here's what I think: Ef' him.

Puffy was right, it's all about the benjis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down