PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This was bad - This was very bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
There is no joy in Homeville tonight. There is no positive spin to put on this one.

We got beat by the friggin JEST at our home field. We got beat on both sides of the line of scrimmage. We couldn't come up with a stop when we needed it.

Tom is not being Tom. He seems to be trying to guide the ball and aim it rather than throw it. Is it physical or mental? Is it a slump that you see baseball picthers go through? I don't know. It just seems as if his throwing motion is off. He's throwing high and behind recievers.

His protection stunk today. Big Vince has had two poor games in a row. Seymour did not have a good game.

And, we did all this againts the Jest at home! I feel sick right now.

Last edited:
Don't forget about Hobbs turning a possible INT and a certain incompletion into a TD simply because Cochery wanted the ball more.

I hope the whole team is embarrassed, this was not just a bad performance but a bad effort.

PATSNUTme said:
We got beat by the frinnin JEST at our home field. We got beat on both sides of the line of scrimmage. We couldn't come up with a stop when we needed it.

Again...how hard is it for people to understand we were playing without Rodney Harrison and Ty Warren, and for a decent portion of the game, Richard Seymour. What more can you ask of the D is you take these players away from it?! Gimme a break.

The only concerns about this team are on the offense and special teams, to put any of the onus of that loss on the D considering the personnel that was missing is ridiclous.

Well, I for one thought this was going to be a Pats cake walk today. I watched the Jets vs Browns last week and the Jets did not score an offensive TD. Boy was I wrong.

Pats fans who use injuries for this loss, please stop. This loss had nothing to do with injuries. Patriots won 2 Super bowls with much more injuries.

I get the feeling our coaching staff is stuck in a rut. They have no plans for what to do when we are trailing. We are not a come from behind team. If I were coaching the Pats and we were trailing in the 1st qtr by 1 point I would go no huddle and play with a sense of urgency. Why wait till the last 2 minutes of the 4th qtr to work yourself out of a rut.

No if and or buts about it Tom Brady is playing like a very average quarterback. This team is not good enough for its' QB to play so average. He needs to step it up.

Is the season over? Of course not. Do we currently have a chance to win the Super bowl? Outside chance at best. I think we are now about the 5th best team in the AFC.:mad:

BradyManny2344 said:
Again...how hard is it for people to understand we were playing without Rodney Harrison and Ty Warren, and for a decent portion of the game, Richard Seymour. What more can you ask of the D is you take these players away from it?! Gimme a break.QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the Pats were built on having a strong "middle class" and having smart, physical players that can easily fill in if someone is hurt or out. Depth is why the Pats won SB's and the Colts (and others) haven't. Rodney and Warren aren't the reason they lost. The offense looked anemic and the D couldn't get a big stop on 3rd down. The Jets out-Pats the Pats.

BradyManny2344 said:
Again...how hard is it for people to understand we were playing without Rodney Harrison and Ty Warren, and for a decent portion of the game, Richard Seymour. What more can you ask of the D is you take these players away from it?! Gimme a break.

The only concerns about this team are on the offense and special teams, to put any of the onus of that loss on the D considering the personnel that was missing is ridiclous.

I happen to be one of the biggest Homers on this board and I'm proud to be.

But, we had enough players out there to plays- they didn't. Put lipstick on that pig if you want. But it's still going to be a pig.

And yes, Ellis with his 42 inch verticle leap should have jumped for the ball and picked it off.

What hurts the most about this loss is the chargers and the ravens both won .

PATSNUTme said:
I happen to be one of the biggest Homers on this board and I'm proud to be.

But, we had enough players out there to plays- they didn't. Put lipstick on that pig if you want. But it's still going to be a pig.

And yes, Ellis with his 42 inch verticle leap should have jumped for the ball and picked it off.
In the misery loves company category, Jake Plummer has 3 INTs today and Oakland still leads. Of course, you could say that's just Jake being Jake.

Fanfrom1960 said:
In the misery loves company category, Jake Plummer has 3 INTs today and Oakland still leads. Of course, you could say that's just Jake being Jake.

I am not by any means throwing the towel on this team. I have a memory that goes beyond six years.

By tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll be ready to look for a win againts the Peckers. But this one hurts right now.

What is most disconcerting is that the playmakers aren't making plays. Bruschi, Vrabel and Seymour disappeared in this game on defense. Brady has been aweful. Can't hit open receivers. The o-line isn't picking up the blitz, balls are getting tipped at the line of scrimmage. Special teams took the day off. A poor effort in all facets of the game.

This was the worst performance of the Brady/Belichick era. They played worse in the 2003 opener, but there were some extenuating circumstances there. Not so for this one. NE sucked, plain and simple.

I don't care who was missing. The Jets offense is god-awful. Pennington cannot throw the ball more than 20 yards without it being essentially a jump ball. Why were the corners playing so far off when the only plays that NY can run consistently are short passes to the WRs? I get the whole "don't give up a big play" thing, but this was a joke. Even on the final Jet drive, the Jets converted a 2nd and fairly long by throwin a swing pass to Coles because the DB was 10 yards off of him.

That was an embarrassment out there. The Jets dominated on the LOS on both sides of the ball. I shouldn't matter that NE was missing their DEs. Hell, a line of Hill - Sullivan (I know he isn't on the team anymore) - Wright should be able to at least fight them to a draw. Pathetic.

And on offense. Since when did an every down blitz become such an impossible thing to stop. All the Jets did was rush 6 guys and man up and press the WRs. And NE couldn't do anything about it all game! Nothing! Brady played awful, the line played worse and the only two guys who played decently were Caldwell and Dillon.

I have given NEM a hard time about this, but the offensive play calling sucked today. Why was Dillon not on the field. It was obvious from the moment the game started that NY had no answer for him. Yet time and time again, NE either used Maroney to do the dirty work or used a spread offense that played into NY's hands.

And to think, moments before the game I put the finishing touches on a post that basically stated that is was still debatable that NE might be the best team in the league. Now the only thing that is debatable is whether they are the worst team over .500 or the second worst.

My f_cking God.

Oswlek said:
This was the worst performance of the Brady/Belichick era. They played worse in the 2003 opener, but there were some extenuating circumstances there. Not so for this one. NE sucked, plain and simple.

I don't care who was missing. The Jets offense is god-awful. Pennington cannot throw the ball more than 20 yards without it being essentially a jump ball. Why were the corners playing so far off when the only plays that NY can run consistently are short passes to the WRs? I get the whole "don't give up a big play" thing, but this was a joke. Even on the final Jet drive, the Jets converted a 2nd and fairly long by throwin a swing pass to Coles because the DB was 10 yards off of him.

That was an embarrassment out there. The Jets dominated on the LOS on both sides of the ball. I shouldn't matter that NE was missing their DEs. Hell, a line of Hill - Sullivan (I know he isn't on the team anymore) - Wright should be able to at least fight them to a draw. Pathetic.

And on offense. Since when did an every down blitz become such an impossible thing to stop. All the Jets did was rush 6 guys and man up and press the WRs. And NE couldn't do anything about it all game! Nothing! Brady played awful, the line played worse and the only two guys who played decently were Caldwell and Dillon.

I have given NEM a hard time about this, but the offensive play calling sucked today. Why was Dillon not on the field. It was obvious from the moment the game started that NY had no answer for him. Yet time and time again, NE either used Maroney to do the dirty work or used a spread offense that played into NY's hands.

And to think, moments before the game I put the finishing touches on a post that basically stated that is was still debatable that NE might be the best team in the league. Now the only thing that is debatable is whether they are the worst team over .500 or the second worst.

My f_cking God.

All in 3 hours' time, too.

Funny how things DON'T change that quickly.

Last edited:
pats1 said:
All in 3 hours' time, too.

Funny how things DON'T change that quickly.

I'm not really sure what you are getting at. I guess you are saying that I either overestimated them before or I am overreacting to this loss, although I don't know which one it is.

Nonetheless, the Patriots just played their worst game in more than 3 years, maybe longer, in a game that would have for all intents and purposes clinched the division. That is unacceptable.

I realize that my frustrations are bubbling over and I know that NE is still a good team, but it is clear as day that they aren't anywhere near as good as I thought they were. I'm not even sure if they have the potential to be as good as I thought they would. They are making the same mistakes over and over again, both on offense and defense, and they look have looked terribly underprepared and uncoordinated that last two games.

Oswlek said:
I'm not really sure what you are getting at. I guess you are saying that I either overestimated them before or I am overreacting to this loss, although I don't know which one it is.

Nonetheless, the Patriots just played their worst game in more than 3 years, maybe longer, in a game that would have for all intents and purposes clinched the division. That is unacceptable.

I realize that my frustrations are bubbling over and I know that NE is still a good team, but it is clear as day that they aren't anywhere near as good as I thought they were. I'm not even sure if they have the potential to be as good as I thought they would. They are making the same mistakes over and over again, both on offense and defense, and they look have looked terribly underprepared and uncoordinated that last two games.

Overreacting, most assuredly.

In a 16-game season, to believe that drastic a, shall we say, perception change is made in one game in early November, just doesn't make sense.

PATSNUTme said:
There is no joy in Homeville tonight. There is no positive spin to put on this one.

We got beat by the friggin JEST at our home field. We got beat on both sides of the line of scrimmage. We couldn't come up with a stop when we needed it.

Tom is not being Tom. He seems to be trying to guide the ball and aim it rather than throw it. Is it physical or mental? Is it a slump that you see baseball picthers go through? I don't know. It just seems as if his throwing motion is off. He's throwing high and behind recievers.

His protection stunk today. Big Vince has had two poor games in a row. Seymour did not have a good game.

I guess we are in agreement this week........ ;)

Tom is fine mentally, always has been. But he is trying too hard to put balls away from the defender and thus behind his skill players, where the passes don't get picked off. He needs to just sling it around more and hit people in the chest. He seems to be trying too hard not to get the ball picked off, and is throwing the ball where it is impossible for the defender to get the ball but consequently almost impossible for his WRs to catch. Or else he is just inaccurate this year.

He's going to need to pick up his play, but the defense was really a mess.

I'm not smart enough to know what gameplan the coaches have, but I would have run the ball twice as much these last two weeks, and passed half as much. And Maroney would get the long, open field and Corey would get the short yardage and goal line situations. But I'm not the coach, I only stayed at a Holiday Inn. :D

DarMan said:
What is most disconcerting is that the playmakers aren't making plays. Bruschi, Vrabel and Seymour disappeared in this game on defense. Brady has been aweful. Can't hit open receivers. The o-line isn't picking up the blitz, balls are getting tipped at the line of scrimmage. Special teams took the day off. A poor effort in all facets of the game.

I agree, bad, bad, bad. The D was beaten into submission, likely the worst game Seymour has played as a Pat. I hope it was an fluke because if not we will be playing against their young OL line for many many years. Brady seems to be just going through the motions, I thought it couldn't get any worse after last week boy was I wrong.

This team is in an uphill battle to prove they are not a one and done play-off time.

BradyManny2344 said:
Again...how hard is it for people to understand we were playing without Rodney Harrison and Ty Warren, and for a decent portion of the game, Richard Seymour.

You notice the difference with Warren out. He's the superstar of this defense, not Richard Seymour. Seymour's overrated.

cstjohn17 said:
I agree, bad, bad, bad. The D was beaten into submission, likely the worst game Seymour has played as a Pat. I hope it was an fluke because if not we will be playing against their young OL line for many many years. Brady seems to be just going through the motions, I thought it couldn't get any worse after last week boy was I wrong.

This team is in an uphill battle to prove they are not a one and done play-off time.

Brady took a beat down and was hit with virtually no protection on several plays. He did a lot more than just go thru the motions. He didn't play great, but he is part of a system which includes the coaches and the WRs and his protection. I think he was trying too hard, not slacking off. I believe his throws were off because he was trying not to get picked off instead of just slinging it right to the WR.

Did I mention he took a beating?

There is no joy and also no perspective. I trust the perspective will come when we realize that we are still leading the division with a 4-1 division record. We have split with the jets, our division competitor this year. We may believe that we have the best team in football, even with 5-10 players injured, and that if we just play better eveyone will see that. IMHO, that simply isn't the case. On a bad day, we can't beat the rather average jets. That's life in the NFL. The patriots are not now better than Indy or Denver or maybe even the superchargers. But we all said that last week. Why should the #4 team in the AFC be a cinch against a division rival with a .500 record?

We need to get healthy and in synch for the playoffs. The offensive line is beat up. Both starting safeties are down. One of starting corners (the one who is of nickel back quality) is starting and playing with a cast on this hand (and being criticized for not making interceptions). Seymour is nicked. Warren isn't able to play.

We also need the coaches to go meet with Charlie and get some offensive game plans for the rest of our oppoents (I guess we'll need to wait until after ND plays USC). Saban has better game plans.

BTW, IMHO one of the worst personnel moves this year was the cutting of Poteat. We needed defensive backs then. We still do.

PATSNUTme said:

pats1 said:
Overreacting, most assuredly.

In a 16-game season, to believe that drastic a, shall we say, perception change is made in one game in early November, just doesn't make sense.

The Patriots own many records.

Going from the best team in the league to the worst ever in three hours could be one that stands the test of time.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots