PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This was a choke and blame rests on Brady and Belichick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the game again on NFL replay and three things cost us this game:

1. Brady's inability to read the defense/get his blocking set up correctly.

2. Brady's inaccuracy. This one kills the most. Forget the early missed throws. On the last series, Brady threw wide of a WIDE OPEN Gaffney, TD - goodnight Giants and then underthrew Moss who had gotten behind the defenders, again that's a sure TD, say goodnight Giants.

3. Coaching. No reason to send a blitz on Giants last TD. The Pats were getting pressure with 4/5 (thanks Adalius + knowing the Giants had to throw). Also, why continue with the 15 yard cushions when Giants need to convert 3rd and 10? Rushing 4, with tight coverage in the secondary would have won this game for the Pats because besides Plax, the Giants have no receivers that scare you with height/speed. On offense - Pats stopped themselves by getting unnecessarily greedy when the short stuff was moving the chains.

Giants played hard but the Pats lost this game more than the Giants won it. Oh well. One bright spot about this is that Pats have now completed two of the most embarrassing chokes in sports history. There's no way they can possibly choke any worse in the future so I know this is the lowest I can ever feel as a Pats fan.

As a Pats fan. That's funny. What's also funny is how you only come out from under the slimy rock you call home when current events fit your weird, borderline creepy Brady obsession that started back when his ex gf's pregnancy began.

Can’t a guy ever constructively criticize our stars without sarcastic comments being thrown at him?

Read his quotes in my sig. This guy is a whack job. THe first two were made LAST off-season.

Last edited:
I kinda think that Brady might have been hurt or something. He really did not play all that well after the Jags game. Some of those SD ints weren't his fault but some were. And he was just horribly off against the Giants.

PF1996 is a pats fan? :confused:

PF1996 is a pats fan? :confused:

No he's not, he's probably not a fan of any team.

Most likely he's a milquetoast who feels powerless in real life. He gets his jollies by dumping on real fans, probably any team will do.

There's 31 every year that don't make it. I hope he finds an outlet for his frustration besides his useless posts here. He displays no football knowledge, even less knowledge of the patriots and never posts anything positive.

It's sad to know people like this exist, but being able to hide often brings out the tiger in otherwise inconsequential creatures.

yes the pats didnt play well but neither did the play clock, look.
No sour grapes here either. its just an interesting video. You be the Judge.

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=27384

The refs didn't want to completely slow the game down on the measurement, which we ALL know that the Giants would have DEMANDED if the clock would have remained running. The ref placed the ball and eyeballed the stick and came away with a first down to keep the pace flowing. Good move by the ref. Instead of waisting a minute or so to have the yardsticks run onto the field and stop the FINAL SECONDS OF THE SUPERBOWL he made an executive decision and, fully knowing that it was close enough for a measurement, eyeballed the first down and made the call. As a Charger fan, I respect that. Plus, you can't assume that if the refs' hadn't had stopped the clock that the Giants would have taken so long. That's what's so flawwed with this video.

lol @ complaining about Coughlin running out on the field. It wasn't malicious! He wanted a timeout and NEEDED the refs' attention in the biggest game of his life! No harm was ever intended and the refs' didn't call it because that would have been a very very very very ticky tack call if they did. Sometimes you have to realize the situation and just let stuff slide

No he's not, he's probably not a fan of any team.

Most likely he's a milquetoast who feels powerless in real life. He gets his jollies by dumping on real fans, probably any team will do.

There's 31 every year that don't make it. I hope he finds an outlet for his frustration besides his useless posts here. He displays no football knowledge, even less knowledge of the patriots and never posts anything positive.

It's sad to know people like this exist, but being able to hide often brings out the tiger in otherwise inconsequential creatures.
what's a milky toast?

what's a milky toast?

This is close enough

nerd.gif

:confused:
pf1996, i always wondered if your mentally challenged, but your really hitting a new low with this thread. so i guess you'd rather have eli, and coughlin on our team???? idiot:rolleyes:

A really good team that lost the SB. Yeah we need to blame somebody.

Win as a team, lose as a team. And nowhere does that aphorism apply better. They played an imperfect game. We had glitches in every phase of the game.

If Guts can hit the broad side of the field on a kickoff, we don't go for it on 4th and 13. If Brady gets protection, he finds a rhythm. If Brady's not off, we win in a walk. If Asante can catch when it matters, we shut down the comeback. Blah blah blah blah blah.

They beat us. They executed, we didn't. They won. We lost. Cope. This team went 18-1, not 8-8. The Giants played an exemplary game. Give them credit and tune in to the farking Combines this month, and read the back of the sports section for moves.

The season is over. You can't get it back by pointing fingers, and this is one game where "whodunnit" makes less sense than in most.

PFnV

I place far more blame on BB and JM (and specifically the OL). I place almost no blame on Brady. The guy got sacked 5 times and knocked down 20. The Giants DL played brilliantly. If you do that to any QB his performance will be affected. Brady also had no running game to speak of, and before the 3 Hail Marys was 29-45. He also took them down for what should have been the GW TD.

Did you watch the game? At all? Did you not see free blockers coming up the middle at Brady? Isn't it Brady's job to identify where the rush is coming from? Isn't it Brady's job to read the defenses and determine whether it's a blitz or not? Is it too much to EXPECT a "great QB" to throw a freaking ball ACCURATELY to WIDE OPEN GUYS? Great QBs perform better under pressure, they don't become average QBs so I guess we know now where Brady ranks. I expect someone like Grossman or hell, Eli Manning to play like Brady played last night. I guess you have lower expectations so his play was fine for you. :rolleyes:

By the way, I guess this is how it must have been when Bledsoe played like crap before Brady got on the scene. Lots of Bledsoe apologists just like there are now Brady apologists.

Brady was hurt and had almost no time to throw the ball. He wasn't to blame. There's a few plays where you could point out and say "there's why we lost" but doing that is just nonsense. The Giants made plenty of mistakes also and the Pats had 4 legitimate opportunities to pick off Manning on the final drive but was either a step too fast, a step too slow, or off the fingertips. To me, Eli wasn't TOO impressive over the drive, just made the plays that counted. The "escape" was amazing and the lob pass to Plax, recognizing the blitz and the single coverage, was a smart throw. It was a hard fought game and there were a few injuries that hurt you guys. The Giants were relatively healthy. That's pretty much the biggest reason but it was a GREAT game.

Peyton Manning makes those throws to wide open receivers. A QB's job is to make throws to open receivers (and a great QB makes them to covered receivers). Brady had time on all of those throws that he missed downfield and completion of ANY ONE OF THEM would have won the game. He didn't do his job and has to have some of the blame.

I kinda think that Brady might have been hurt or something. He really did not play all that well after the Jags game. Some of those SD ints weren't his fault but some were. And he was just horribly off against the Giants.

Don't tell it to the homers on this board. Brady NEVER has a bad game and when he does, of course SOMETHING, ANYTHING is to blame for the loss of the game, but him. :rolleyes:

Did you watch the game? At all? Did you not see

Peyton Manning makes those throws to wide open receivers. A QB's job is to make throws to open receivers (and a great QB makes them to covered receivers). Brady had time on all of those throws that he missed downfield and completion of ANY ONE OF THEM would have won the game. He didn't do his job and has to have some of the blame.

:rolleyes:

Brady was off, no doubt - but you are wrong about the 1st down play to Gaffney. Brady couldn't step into the throw and he threw it right before getting hit - if he waited any longer he would have been slammed to the turf (like the next play). Gaffney was not going for a TD either.

As for the throw to Moss, he threw it 60+ yards in the air and it was from the right hash mark to the left across the field. I can't believe any rational person would even criticize this - he threw it as far as he could, it just wasn't quite far enough.

Did you watch the game? At all? Did you not see free blockers coming up the middle at Brady? Isn't it Brady's job to identify where the rush is coming from? Isn't it Brady's job to read the defenses and determine whether it's a blitz or not? Is it too much to EXPECT a "great QB" to throw a freaking ball ACCURATELY to WIDE OPEN GUYS? Great QBs perform better under pressure, they don't become average QBs so I guess we know now where Brady ranks. I expect someone like Grossman or hell, Eli Manning to play like Brady played last night. I guess you have lower expectations so his play was fine for you. :rolleyes:

He missed Moss up the left seam once and airmailed a 5 yard out. Most of the game he was under heavy pressure.

And when the "pressure" was on, Brady led a TD drive that could have been the game-winning TD drive. I can't believe you think Brady last night played like Rex Grossman. That's completely insulting and idiotic on your part.

Quarterbacks need pass protection. This is a FACT. Look how bad Ugoh was for the Colts against SD in the playoffs. Watch a Bengals game.

the pats lost because of the last series on defense .they had manning in the grasp and had three chances to intercept the ball .that's it in a nut shell .

I have to agree with this. I'm trying not to blame anyone, but this is pretty true. A 4 point lead, 2:40 left and 84 yards to go, a championship defense comes up with key stops. Three dropped int's and a missed sack are a major reason for the loss. Brady had nothing to do with that.

For pete's sake, Brady came through when he had to (The Pats last TD drive), had no support from his O-Line or running game, yet he still completed 60% of his passes for 266 yards. I don't think any QB in the NFL could have done better against the pressure he faced ALL game.

I do have to agree that Belichick is to blame, he was totally outcoached. Two weeks to prepare for a defense they faced before, a QB with a busted ankle, and yet he couldn't keep his QB protected, and couldn't come up with a good offensive game plan (McDaniels get's some major blame) ?

It really did come down to the Pat's defense though, if they held, they would have talked about the Giants D, but wouldn't be talking about them as if they were the 85 Bears.

By the way, I guess this is how it must have been when Bledsoe played like crap before Brady got on the scene. Lots of Bledsoe apologists just like there are now Brady apologists.

Don't tell it to the homers on this board. Brady NEVER has a bad game and when he does, of course SOMETHING, ANYTHING is to blame for the loss of the game, but him. :rolleyes:

So whose your flavor of the month QB this time PF? Can't be Manning, Rivers, Romo, or Favre who succomb to or unravel under far less pressure on a regular basis ergo they watched this game the way you did, on TV. Forget about your binky Bulger whose been MIA due to pressure issues for two years now. So who is it we'd be better off with PF?

The difference between Brady and Bledsoe has always been while one almost always found a way to give his team a chance to win, as Brady did against the odds yet again on Sunday, the other almost always found a way to throw it away, as Brady seldom ever does. He holds the record for most Superbowl completions surpassing Joe Montana by a substantial margin. He completed over 60% of his passes on a night when he was getting hammered behind an Oline that was simply physically out performed even absent the blitz - which was more limited than you apparently realize because you obviously don't know what you're looking at let alone talking about.

You don't even grasp the difference between what a QB calls at the LOS and the center's responsibility in setting the protection based on what he sees pre snap. Nor do your grasp whose responsibility it is to physically execute the block or pick up the blitz. They were running over and around Brady's blockers even when they didn't blitz, which was 70% of the time, which is indicative of their being individually and collectively physically overmatched either in talent or intensity or both. Remember Peyton's infamous quote about Indy's problems with the protection against the Steelers??? That's PC speak for my Oline **** the bed, at least when it's a Manning getting clobbered.

Your watching game tape is an exercise in futility. You have a predetermined axe to grind with a HOF QB that makes everything you persist in uttering totally irrational and irrelevent. I don't know why you bother to post on his forum other than to draw attention to yourself even as an idiot. You must be having trouble accomplishing that on the OT forum where most of your equally inane polisocial drivel is spewed.

In perspective...

When the Jags defeated my Steelers this season in the playoffs, we had fans calling for our O Coordinator's head, because of the last drive we had the ball. He called a run, a run, then a qb scramble/bootleg left that was stopped short of the 1st down. We punted, jags drove and got the field goal and ended up winning the game. People tried to say that one series, or that even the play call was to blame.

I spent days arguing that, in a 60 minute game, there are mistakes made all over the place, by both teams, and great plays made by both teams. You can't blame a coach or a player (Unless its Neil Odonell) for a loss. It goes to everything. It goes to punt returns, field position, a first down missed tackle in the 2nd quarter, or a 3rd down and 6 ball overthrown in the 3rd quarter. Every play has a direct effect on the game, and the flow of the game. The Giants made more plays, the Patriots made more mistakes. That's what happens in a football game.

Oh, and the Tyree catch was great, but I felt the Boss catch and the Steven Smith Catch where he catches it on the sidelines and gets forward for the first down then gets out of bounds were both bigger plays. Not more spectacular, but just bigger plays for the flow of the game.

I blame Myra Kraft for not sending Bob Kraft down to the sideline (like Jerry Jones) and getting things straightened out with the team

I also blame Rydell Company for making Tyree's helmet. The ball should of bounced off of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back