PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This trade is a bitter one for the Saints because...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTS-80

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I remember at the time it was between Sullivan and Marcus Trufant. We blew a 2nd round pick, they blew the 6 overall pick. What I don't get is if they are not happy about Stallworth (another 1st round pick), what makes them think Bethel is any better?

Last edited:
PATRIOTS-80 said:
We blew a 2nd round pick, they blew the 6 overall pick.
And they traded two #1s to get that #6 pick.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
I remember at the time it was between Sullivan and Marcus Trufant. We blew a 2nd round pick, they blew the 6 overall pick. What I don't get is if they are not happy about Stallworth (another 1st round pick), what makes them think Bethel is any better?

How does your post establish that the trade might be better for the saints?

It might turn out that way, but I think this trade works out for us. Bethel was not fitting in and has been a dissapointment. He was iffy to make the roster. Now we have a prospect at backup NT.

Lloyd_Christmas said:
He said bitter, not better ;)

Lloyd_Christmas said:

It might turn out that way, but I think this trade works out for us. Bethel was not fitting in and has been a dissapointment. He was iffy to make the roster. Now we have a prospect at backup NT.

I don't get what you are saying. I repeatedly said in many posts that I don't think the trade is a better one for the Saints, Bethel was not going to make the roster, and now we have a backup NT.

All I am saying is that it is bitter for them because they blew a 6th overall pick and could of had Marcus Trufant (who they were considering). Or stayed put with their 2 1st round picks that they had that year (which they used to trade up for Sullivan).

I remember Sullivan being mentioned in BB's presss conference right before the draft and the defensive lineman went off the board like crazy and now
our NT position just got more depth.

Trying to guess at the Patriots draft board is usually a futile practice, but if New Orleans had taken Warren at 6, do you think we would have taken Sullivan at 13? I always got the impression from the local media that Sullivan was on our radar screen.

manatee said:
Trying to guess at the Patriots draft board is usually a futile practice, but if New Orleans had taken Warren at 6, do you think we would have taken Sullivan at 13? I always got the impression from the local media that Sullivan was on our radar screen.

I think he was on the Pats radar right after the end of the season. But Sullivan shot up draft boards at the last minute (I'm not sure why, good work-outs & good interviews?), which seems to happen almost every year. One guy has a monster 40 time or excels in every physical test, and all the scouts are sold on him, even though he's never put up good numbers in a game (i.e. Antonio Cromartie).

Last edited:
I've not had a chance to look but I'd guess salary cap wise we're taking on more salary taking on a #6 overall pick, no?

A little bit but not as much as you might think, because his signing bonuses (the bulk of his salary) belong to NO. BJ's salaries for the next 2 seasons are around 500K, and JS's are around 1 mil.

tatepatsfan said:
A little bit but not as much as you might think, because his signing bonuses (the bulk of his salary) belong to NO. BJ's salaries for the next 2 seasons are around 500K, and JS's are around 1 mil.

I see that now... though I guess we have a cap accelleration for trading Johnson as well, just as the Saints got hit.

Still, I think BJ was going to be cut anyway - so this way we got "something" in return for him... and in a worse case scenario we cut Sullivan too, without being on the hook for another dime... correct?

So best case scenario we rehap a top 10 pick and keep him on the cheap... worst case scenario neither BJ nor Sullivan are on the team and we have only BJ's dead money on the books.

Don't forget that Sullivan was a year behind Seymour @ UGeorgia. Perhaps Seymours can now keep him in line...

Bethel Not a Pat At Heart

Whatever went wrong (and yes, I know, that includes injuries,) it also "went bad" to an extent between Bethel and the Pats... I won't go on at lenth about BJ "not getting it." Maybe he would have had another year to prove himself, had this opportunity not come up - but he's already been with the team 4 years and come up pretty much empty.

This is also heartening because it means whatever the fans think, BB has at least some faith in the receivers on the team at present. And what a vintage BB move: you go offense in the draft, because the value falls that way, then shore up a defensive position with your offensive draft day blunder from years ago.

Now if the LB situation clears up, we might just have something....

PFnV

SamBamsFan said:
Don't forget that Sullivan was a year behind Seymour @ UGeorgia. Perhaps Seymours can now keep him in line...
Well that was the theory with David Terrell and Tom Brady too. That didn't work out so well.

That's about the tenth time I've seen this Terrell reference...why does everyone keep bringing it up?? "well, not in Terrell's case!!!...Hah Ha Ha Ha!!! Not Terrell!!!".

So???? So what? What the hell did taking a look at Terrell cost??? NOTHING. That was a smart move...take a look and see for yourself...BB did....it's EXACTLY what I want our head coach to do in THAT EXACT SCENARIO

Last edited:
PromisedLand said:
Well that was the theory with David Terrell and Tom Brady too. That didn't work out so well.
I'm missing the connection between Sullivan and Terrell, or is it Brady and Seymour? You seem to be saying that Seymour can't help Sullivan because Terrell was cut?

spacecrime said:
I'm missing the connection between Sullivan and Terrell, or is it Brady and Seymour? You seem to be saying that Seymour can't help Sullivan because Terrell was cut?
Terrell is to Brady as Sullivan is to Seymour. BTW, what did you get on your SATs? :p

Last edited by a moderator:
What's an SAT? Just wonderin'........

New Orleans passed on Kevin Williams as well.

And if I recall Terrell didn't fail for lack of effort. He just never put it together. I remember hearing BB commenting that Terrell was doing everything they were asking of him and working hard. I guess in the end it was decided that Terrell just couldn't beat out the guys in front of him.

Sully's first big hurdle is going to be that effort question mark and the conditioning run. If he can get by those then we can start thinking about him seriously in the tea leaves. We'll just have to see how he does in training camp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back