PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This Team is Playing Waaaayyyyy Over it's Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB has been coach of the decade IMO. This year is just more brilliance. I am loving the young team getting coached up aspect.

The refs, nfl and polian's uncompetitive committee have basically stolen a couple superbowl appearances from us already and yet BB keeps silently going about the business of being the best. Hell, if the refs understood the 'in the grasp' rule we already have four superbowls.

And yeah, I didn't like the 4 and 1 play.

The Hoodie is the man. Without a doubt, I would say #1 all time. Media doesn't trumpet BB because they don't want to be playing the same old tune.

To me, his brilliance is keeping guys that are coachable, and cutting ties with locker room "cancers" who do not have the same 'win first attitude.' Insert your favorite ex Patriot here__________.

two thoughts:

in the NFL, two positions matter about 10X more than the any other. QB and coach. And as long as this team has the best ever coach and the the 2nd best QB ever (sorry: Montana is 1) then this team will always be competitive.

Throw in 4 impact players next year (2 1s 2 2s) and let everything brew for 2011 and I could see 15-1 team in 2012 without question. Tommy will retire with 5.

The news would joke in the 2001-2004 time that if one of the team buses got lost and only half the team showed up, Bill could pull a couple of popcorn vendors from the stands, teach them how to play linebacker, and likely pull out a win.

He seems to be doing that again, this time with youngsters vs. nobodies.

Heyy JBB9S,,,that was my reply you wrote ! Great men think alike lol,,,but yes coudnt agree with you more..well said. Hey Shmessy how are u buddy ? Great win yesterday,,but really wierd match. So much in control than everything just .....well thank God for the W.
What is it with Tommy and California sunshine ? never seems happy there!! Take care.
GO PATS. Abdul

Is that supposed to be a bad thing?

Don't forget Tubby Rexy didn't take the Jets job to 'kiss BB's rings'. LOL. This Pats team is in great shape recordwise. It's amazing that our young guys have been stepping up and producing at this level. Particularly on that worrisome defense. Today the defensive unit again kept the Pats in the game and stepped up when it mattered, limiting the Chargers to a long FG attempt to tie the game. They also had a fantastic first half forcing 4 turnovers and limiting the Chargers to 3 pts.

Yeah there were some concerning breakdowns in the 4th quarter but I think they were tired from being on the field too long. Our offense bears part of the blame there. Too many 3 and outs and inability to capitalize off turnovers made this game a lot closer than it should have been. The Pats should have put up 40 on those guys with that many turnovers.

Last edited:
Belichick is doing a great job getting these guys in position to make plays, but they are also making them.

If I had to pick a play the exemplified the Patriots for the first 1/3 of the season so far it would be the Chargers' 3d and 10. How many tackles does Sergio Brown have in his career? That was a steady tackle against an outstanding NFL tight end to save a first down and force a kick. One on one in the flat, Gates has made players much better, or at least much more experienced, than Sergio Brown miss or has dragged them for extra yards.

Last edited:
Funny, weren't people on this board saying just a month ago that the game has passed Belichick by? Now the story is he is the coach of the year and getting players to play over their heads.

I have to disagree. Over the past couple of years everyone kept saying we had to get younger and faster, and guess what, we have! Combine that with our awesome QB and excellent head coach, and we are re-stocked and reloaded. Watch out NFL!!

Funny, weren't people on this board saying just a month ago that the game has passed Belichick by? Now the story is he is the coach of the year and getting players to play over their heads.

I know.... there's a group onboard this site that always goes with the "moment". I suspect the majority of them are on Prozac at any given time. :singing:

I have to disagree. Over the past couple of years everyone kept saying we had to get younger and faster, and guess what, we have! Combine that with our awesome QB and excellent head coach, and we are re-stocked and reloaded. Watch out NFL!!

Indeed. But you have to understand that there are always those for whom nothing will ever be good enough. If they didn't have something to complain about, their day would be ruined. :cool:

10-15% were. The others were lambasting them.

Younger and faster doesn't mean playing well right from the first games.

Perhaps the thread title was not worded well. It should have probably read "This team is performing waaaaayyyy above expectation".

Even Brady had to sit his first year and was not "Tom F. Brady" in 2001. He was the efficient Dink and Dunk guy we all prayed wouldn't screw up. Anyone saying they felt different at the time is lying through every single one of their teeth.

The general feeling on this board and throughout NFL circles was that the young team would have alot of growing pains for the first half of the season and the optimists (myself in that group) kept looking for the team to gel with some game experience and get hot after Thanksgiving.

Then we lost, Bodden. Then we lost MacGowan. Then we lost Ty Warren. Then we lost K. Faulk. Then the Moss trade.

Anyone saying they expected 5-1 at THIS POINT given the new players (Hernandez is 20 fer cryin' out loud) and the UDFA's is not telling truths here.

At the Moss trade, there were polls here and every place in America asking whether that trade signified the Patriots "giving up on their season".

How can any Pats fan not enjoy what we are seeing in front of eyes right now? It's like a parent watching with mouth agape as his/her 6 year old spells "onomatopoeia" correctly at her Kindergarten spelling bee.

These young guys have stepped up unbelievably well. The quality depth in this organization is astounding compared to the rest of the league. The Pats were shown to pay their practice squad players more than other teams and that has paid off in spades - - don't forget Ninko, BJGE, Sergio Brown, Connolly, etc. all came from our well-stocked PS over the recent time. For the Dan Snyders of the world the practice squad is the choreographer for the cheerleaders.

With 6 picks in the first three rounds next April, the next decade belongs to the Patriots also.

Last edited:
Funny, weren't people on this board saying just a month ago that the game has passed Belichick by?
While I have never even thought anything so absurd, I definitely read it here.

The chargers helped us alot yesterday.Turner should be fired after yesterday.BB once again outsmarted himself and this time he didnt pay for it.Brutal game to watch but we won.

Does anyone really think this defense is getting better?They gave up 300 plus yards once again and this was without their wrs corps.

These young guys have stepped up unbelievably well. The quality depth in this organization is astounding compared to the rest of the league. The Pats were shown to pay their practice squad players more than other teams and that has paid off in spades - - don't forget Ninko, BJGE, Sergio Brown, Connolly, etc. all came from our well-stocked PS over the recent time. For the Dan Snyders of the world the practice squad is the choreographer for the cheerleaders.

With 6 picks in the first three rounds next April, the next decade belongs to the Patriots also.

Nice post. Add Crable to the PS performers. I'm not saying he's living up to potential as a 3rd round pick, but he was on the PS. If he can continue to develop...

Yes, the team has had the suspected hiccups associated with an extremely young team. Yes they have a better record that certainly any mediot would predict, and maybe even most fans. However, each game we get better. Look at our 2nd half adjustments lately. We've come out like a completely different team. That shows growth and excellent coaching.
4th and 2 last year he trusted his offense to get 2 yards, he didn't trust his defense to stop Manning from scoring, period.
4th and 1 this year he hopes his offense can get 1 yard, but trusts his young defense to keep Rivers from scoring.
The worm is turning and I am very excited to see how we are clicking at the end of the season!

Excellent coaching?Are u kidding me?If the chargers scored and they go into overtime and beat us u wouldnt be saying that.The fact is that BB still doesnt trust this defense and this defense gives up huge chunks of big plays.BB got away with it because Norv Turner is awful!

It's 2006 all over again baby, there's no real dominant team in the league right now

Does anyone really think this defense is getting better?They gave up 300 plus yards once again and this was without their wrs corps.

The Defense was tremendous yesterday, until the strategy went to a loose zone.

SD averaged 2.2 ypc. They held Ray Rice under 3 ypc last week.

So, yes, D-Money, I think the defense is steadily improving and not the huge liability until Thanksgiving most of us thought it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes