PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This Sucks, but Hooray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePatsFan26

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
It is rough news hearing about Brady being suspended again for the first four games this season. What I'm wondering about, in all honesty, is if this suspension might actually help the Patriots long term. While this is all speculation, here are a few reasons to see the silver lining.

First of all, one of the Patriots major troubles in years past with taking superb teams into the playoffs has been them being too effective early in the season and running out of gas. Many of the teams, in particular 2007s, have been 14-2 to 16-0 at the end of the year and seem to lack a chip on their shoulders heading into the playoffs. Without Brady for these first four games, the Pats will have bumps and bruises from a likely 1-3 or 2-2 start. In 2014, the 2-2 start and the Kansas City loss, in particular, lit a fire under the team and coupled with Brady's return could signal a renewed sense of urgency.

Second, I can only see division mates earning a 2-2, or 3-1 at best in the first four games. If the Pats can go 1-3 or 2-2 the division will be within their grasp within a couple of games after Brady returns.

Third, Tom Brady is getting up there in the years and sitting out will keep him rested and -- knock on wood -- away from injuries for 1/4 the season. As long as the Patriots can make the playoffs, they've got a shot. Heck, with how weak Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, and Kansas City are looking as conference front-runners for home-field, the Patriots might even get the #2 seed or higher this year despite missing Brady for this initial stretch.

Lastly, this suspension will keep alive the tradition of "us vs. the world" that led to the Patriots beating the Seahawks in 2014. In the first four games, the message will be "win for Brady" and when Brady comes back, it will be all about getting revenge on the league.

I hate Goodell and overall the reinstatement of the suspension is a disappointment. But there are some upsides that could motivate the Pats more than other teams. Here's hoping.

Last edited:
This sucks, but nothing. There is no silver lining unless this gets miraculously overturned. None. Zero. Stop trying to find one.

correct. this offseason has been a disaster. those brady " bird calls " to gronk/edelman/etc were cool. all of them getting ready for the season, for nothing since tb won't be around.

season is 5 months away and there's nothing to be excited about. i bet belichick is pissed!!!

This sucks, but nothing. There is no silver lining unless this gets miraculously overturned. None. Zero. Stop trying to find one.
So, I guess Bostonians get to go back to what they do best then: drink away their pain?

In all seriousness, I just can't believe Patriots fans with their undying need to put Brady above the rest of the team. No, I'm not stopping my appointment viewing of the Pats. And yes, I will be watching the first four games when Brady is suspended. I love Brady, but I love the Pats more.

So, I guess Bostonians get to go back to what they do best then: drink away their pain?

In all seriousness, I just can't believe Patriots fans with their undying need to put Brady above the rest of the team. No, I'm not stopping my appointment viewing of the Pats. And yes, I will be watching the first four games when Brady is suspended. I love Brady, but I love the Pats more.
Thank you.

4-0 and JimmyG playing well enough to merit a high pick in trade is the best we can hope for but it comes at the cost of my favorite player of all time having his legacy permanently tainted with a suspension. I'm ashamed to admit it (because I think people who love/adore celebrities are idiots) but Tom's my hero and I ****ing hate this.

But if it's what's gonna happen then I"ll just hope for the best. Until the season starts, though, I'm gonna hang onto the hopes that Brady's legal team can just tie this up in the courts for 4 years or get a Miracle on 34th street moment.

correct. this offseason has been a disaster. those brady " bird calls " to gronk/edelman/etc were cool. all of them getting ready for the season, for nothing since tb won't be around.

season is 5 months away and there's nothing to be excited about. i bet belichick is pissed!!!

Pretend that he sprained his ankle and will miss a few games. I don't know what else to tell you. No one died. Life will go on, and I'm sure Belichick and the team have been mentally prepared for awhile now.

There's still plenty to be excited about despite the bad news, mostly the fact that this ******** will finally be over one way or another. We lucked out with 3/4 games at home, so a 2-2 start is a real possibility. That's certainly happened before (or worse), including the first and most recent SB victory.

Pretend that he sprained his ankle and will miss a few games. I don't know what else to tell you. No one died. Life will go on, and I'm sure Belichick and the team have been mentally prepared for awhile now.

There's still plenty to be excited about despite the bad news, mostly the fact that this ******** will finally be over one way or another. We lucked out with 3/4 games at home, so a 2-2 start is a real possibility. That's certainly happened before (or worse), including the first and most recent SB victory.

some silver linings. eventually everyone will just accept this garbage and move on....

Or just watch baseball and NCAA gridiron. My interest in this laughingstock of a game has seriously waned.

some silver linings. eventually everyone will just accept this garbage and move on....

Yeah, it's definitely difficult to accept, but the fact remains that we really don't have a choice if we wish to keep watching.

Once the initial (again!) sting goes away, we'll all have to sack up and get over it. Like I said last year, just imagine how great it would be to see Jimmy G come out and look good. That would shut the entire world up very quickly.

I'm going to assume a 2-2 start, which would have us firmly in the thick of the race when TFB returns.

Give me a choice of a team that's screwed themselves and a team that's been screwed upon - I'll take the latter every time. And maybe enjoy some payback.

Except there is one..

We get to finally see what we have with Jimmy G. Now I wish it wasn't a 4 game sample size, but I have confidence JG will show his worth. And after seeing teams like the Rams and Eagles trade away their future for players they're not really in love with, just imagine if Garapollo lights the world on fire, and the compensation we can get for him.

Fellowship of the miserable.....Pitino was right

Back to the original point, yes, a shortened season will have Brady a little fresher down the stretch

Except there is one..

We get to finally see what we have with Jimmy G. Now I wish it wasn't a 4 game sample size, but I have confidence JG will show his worth. And after seeing teams like the Rams and Eagles trade away their future for players they're not really in love with, just imagine if Garapollo lights the world on fire, and the compensation we can get for him.

Yes, this aspect of it will be fun.

Still, my relationship to the Pats and the NFL has been damaged. The larger issue is about where to put my discretionary energy as a sports fan. There isn't much time or attention span in my life to devote to such things, and when this one became tinged with this injustice and the permanent shadow of Goodell, it changed. There are other things to do with life, and following the Pats and rooting for the team has become less desirable. It is a gut level emotion, not something that I can rationalize with.

Good opening post.

Getting Garoppo the four starts will give him important game experience. Knowing how Matt Cassell handled the offense McDaniels and Belichick put in for him in 2008 gives me confidence that the Patriots will move the ball and score some points. This time, they have four months to prepare for the opener.

One other benefit is the offensive line's development. This line will need some regular season games to find itself. Garoppolo is younger and more physical than Brady at this point, so I'd prefer to see him take the hits early in the season.

I don't think motivation is a big deal. This team is prepared for the game they are about to play, and it appears they're paying close attention to having the right guys in the locker room (see: Easley release.)

I fully agree on the wear & tear factor as it relates to Tom Brady. If it turns out he plays a 12-game regular season, his numbers will suffer, but his bumps & bruises should be less.

Yeah, it's definitely difficult to accept, but the fact remains that we really don't have a choice if we wish to keep watching.

Once the initial (again!) sting goes away, we'll all have to sack up and get over it. Like I said last year, just imagine how great it would be to see Jimmy G come out and look good. That would shut the entire world up very quickly.

I'm going to assume a 2-2 start, which would have us firmly in the thick of the race when TFB returns.

what if jimmy G stinks and we go 0-4??? can happen, cowboys lost their starting QB and went 1-11.

If Jimmy does well, cue the "OMG QUARTERBACK CONTROVERSY IN NEW ENGLAND!!" headlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back