PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This still bothers me about the Super Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should bother every Pats fans is why McD and Bellichick didn't take more time off the clock with a few running plays or even a short, guaranteed catch off a screen pass to keep the clock running when they were already in field goal range for the tie on the final drive. BB must've had no respect for Manning and the Giants to score with nearly 3 minutes on the clock and 3 timeouts. BB made the conscience decision that he trusted his defense more than he trusted his running game or Brady to come up with a TD after 1 or 2 running plays.

My intention isn't to be disrespectful but that is just plain stupid. Do you remember the Pats last drive at all? It was like a 9 minute drive.

I would be even more upset if Belichick started calling plays just with the intention to let the clock wind down when they are BEHIND. You call plays that give you the best chance to score. How is this not incredibly obvious?

My intention isn't to be disrespectful but that is just plain stupid. Do you remember the Pats last drive at all? It was like a 9 minute drive.

I would be even more upset if Belichick started calling plays just with the intention to let the clock wind down when they are BEHIND. You call plays that give you the best chance to score. How is this not incredibly obvious?

New England's second to last drive (not the desperation drive after falling behind) was 5:12 long, not "like a 9 minute drive". The Patriots had 1st and 10 on the 6 yard line of the Giants with 2:55 left in regulation. Rather than attempt any running plays, the Patriots passed 3 consecutive times, scoring on 3rd and goal with 2:45 left.

edit: all times from NFL.com

Last edited:
And that makes it different how? Oh, that's right, it isn't different. And another thing, if a Charger fan , who by your logic "can say what ever he wants if they believe it to be the case", had said that you guys would have absolutely flamed him for it.

No different? Are you serious? There's no difference between a player on the team saying it to the media the night before a game against a team that re-armed itself heavily since the playoff game and a fan saying it in a different situation on a message board?

What? No basis? Did you watch the playoff game (which is what he was talking about)? I think it was pretty apparent who was the better team that day. Disclaimer: While I think the Chargers were the better team that day I do not in any way discount the Patriots. That is the genius of Tom Brady and the Patriot organisation. They will beat you even if you have a better team because they make plays WHEN THE GAME IS BEING PLAYED. This isn't baseball where 4 out of 7 is good enough (or 8 out of 10).

pao

And you won't find me saying that the Pats were better than the Giants that day either. But any team that wins 18 straight games can probably beat most teams, all things being equal, the majority of times that they play them. I don't think the Giants were the best team in football this last year. I know Giants fans who would say the same thing.

I didn't think the Pats were the best team in 2001. The Rams probably would have beaten them 8 out of 10 times then as well. In fact, I think the Chargers are better than the Giants. But LT, who was dumb to say something like that to the media the night before the game, made those comments after having lost to the Pats, who then went on to have the best offseason of any team. Any way you look at it what LT did was stupid. Your analogy is false.

Last edited:
New England's second to last drive (not the desperation drive after falling behind) was 5:12 long, not "like a 9 minute drive". The Patriots had 1st and 10 on the 6 yard line of the Giants with 2:55 left in regulation. Rather than attempt any running plays, the Patriots passed 3 consecutive times, scoring on 3rd and goal with 2:45 left.

edit: all times from NFL.com

I was wrong about the time. I must have been thinking how much time was left in the game and got it mixed up with the drive time.

Still, the objective is to score a touchdown no matter what. You don't worry about winding time off the clock in that situation ever.

And many fans here bashed LT when he said the Chargers would have won last year 9 times if THAT game had been replayed 10 times. Interesting.

pao

you get smashed and battered like rag dolls 21-12 and you run your mouth?

you can't possibly be blabbing your big vacant mouth about the 38-14 BEATDOWN and HUMILIATION on 9/17/07

pao...must stand for pack another orifice

if by any chance you're crying like a two year old girl about a game played TWO SEASONS ago, I suggest you see a very good psychiatrist and begin therapy for your dangerous obsession.

The thing I don't understand is why Belichick didn't give Brady some backfield help to help take out the pass rush. Play after play Brady got nailed, yet there were no RBs or FBs in there to help pick up rushers.

I found that very disturbing. It seems like such an obvious defensive move that was never made.

I was wrong about the time. I must have been thinking how much time was left in the game and got it mixed up with the drive time.

Still, the objective is to score a touchdown no matter what. You don't worry about winding time off the clock in that situation ever.

What ever gave you such a notion? Of course you worry about the clock in that situation.

Last edited:
No different?

And you won't find me saying that the Pats were better than the Giants that day either. But any team that wins 18 straight games can probably beat most teams, all things being equal, the majority of times that they play them. I don't think the Giants were the best team in football this last year. I know Giants fans who would say the same thing.

Why are the Chargers better than the Giants>?? What is this college football? The Giants won FOUR road games against supposedly better opponents. If that is not better what is? Were the Giants better all year? Hell no ..not close. Were they better when it counted? Yes...and like you said about the 01 Pats, playoffs is what counts.

No different?

Why are the Chargers better than the Giants>?? What is this college football? The Giants won FOUR road games against supposedly better opponents. If that is not better what is? Were the Giants better all year? Hell no ..not close. Were they better when it counted? Yes...and like you said about the 01 Pats, playoffs is what counts.

I honestly think we may have had real difficulty with the Chargers if they hadn't had their 3 key injuries, I wasn't at all reassured watching that game.
As for the SB if we'd have taken Manning down before he got that pass away
we would have still have won. I thought we began to look jaded from the last
regular season games onwards, perhaps we did too much, too early.
Ever watch soccer? In the World Cup sides like Italy and Germany are always garbage in the early pools, they do enough to win or get by,after that they turn up the lamp.

One-possession games at halftime (games 1-10): 3
One-possession games at halftime (games 11-19): 8

If you win 10/11 tight ballgames, you're doing pretty good - but if you win the first 10, the odds of winning the 11th are greatly diminished.

I honestly think we may have had real difficulty with the Chargers if they hadn't had their 3 key injuries, I wasn't at all reassured watching that game.
As for the SB if we'd have taken Manning down before he got that pass away
we would have still have won. I thought we began to look jaded from the last
regular season games onwards, perhaps we did too much, too early.
Ever watch soccer? In the World Cup sides like Italy and Germany are always garbage in the early pools, they do enough to win or get by,after that they turn up the lamp.

Same with hockey..how many times do you see lower seeds advance because they are hot. Its all about the playoffs.

No different? Are you serious? There's no difference between a player on the team saying it to the media the night before a game against a team that re-armed itself heavily since the playoff game and a fan saying it in a different situation on a message board?
That's right, it's no different. He said it, Patriot fans flamed him for it. Not because of his stature as a PLAYER but because of what he said and what a whiner he was. I agreed actually, he should have kept his mouth shut. Now two posters here have said similar. Funny, I don't see anyone flaming them.

And I never said anything different. Obviously the Patriots were the best team in football last year, maybe ever, even after they lost to the Giants.

I didn't think the Pats were the best team in 2001. The Rams probably would have beaten them 8 out of 10 times then as well. In fact, I think the Chargers are better than the Giants. But LT, who was dumb to say something like that to the media the night before the game, made those comments after having lost to the Pats, who then went on to have the best offseason of any team. Any way you look at it what LT did was stupid. Your analogy is false.
No, it's not false. Call it what you will but it isn't false.

pao

you get smashed and battered like rag dolls 21-12 and you run your mouth?
Umm, what does that have to do with participating on a message board? Hmm? How about nothing.

you can't possibly be blabbing your big vacant mouth about the 38-14 BEATDOWN and HUMILIATION on 9/17/07
LOL! Dude, calm down! You're going to have a stroke! Beatdown? Yes. Humiliation? Hardly. Can't say I've ever been "humiliated" over something I had absolutely no control over. You may be "humiliated" over your team's failures but not me.

pao...must stand for pack another orifice
So how long have you had problems with homophobia or latent homosexuality?

if by any chance you're crying like a two year old girl about a game played TWO SEASONS ago, I suggest you see a very good psychiatrist and begin therapy for your dangerous obsession.
Funny, I never cried over that loss. I simply made reference to it within the context of the post I responded to. Guess you can't tell the difference. Hmm, seems you have a problem with homophobia/latent homosexuality and a low frustration tolerance. Perhaps it is YOU that needs to see a psychiatrist.

pao

Call better plays. If the defense gives you short passes, take them! Once they switched to this in the 4th quarter, they moved the ball.

Umm, what does that have to do with participating on a message board? Hmm? How about nothing.

LOL! Dude, calm down! You're going to have a stroke! Beatdown? Yes. Humiliation? Hardly. Can't say I've ever been "humiliated" over something I had absolutely no control over. You may be "humiliated" over your team's failures but not me.

So how long have you had problems with homophobia or latent homosexuality?

Funny, I never cried over that loss. I simply made reference to it within the context of the post I responded to. Guess you can't tell the difference. Hmm, seems you have a problem with homophobia/latent homosexuality and a low frustration tolerance. Perhaps it is YOU that needs to see a psychiatrist.

pao

wrong, wrong ,wrong and wrong...I have a problem with smarmy San Diego punks running their arrogant mouths after getting HUMILIATED(yes,idiot 21-12 IS humiliating) once AGAIN and then claiming their team was "the better team!!!!!". Seems you either have overdosed on that famous Left Coast libation, lysergic acid diethylamide or else someone laced your avocado tofutti with stupid pills.

Last edited:
wrong, wrong ,wrong and wrong...
I have a problem with smarmy San Diego punks running their arrogant mouths after getting HUMILIATED(yes,idiot 21-12 IS humiliating) once AGAIN and then claiming their team was "the better team!!!!!".
Are you serious? Who said that the Chargers were a better team after the '07 playoff loss? Not me. In fact I didn't say that before or after the Chargers got their asses kicked in week 2 either. Don't know where you got that one. You really need to calm down, dude, we're just having conversation. We are all NFL fans right?
Or Seems you either have overdosed on that famous Left Coast libation, lysergic acid diethylamide or else someone laced your avocado tofutti with stupid pills.
LOL. Although somewhat insulting, that was really creative and funny. Gotta give props where props are due, even if I don't agree. LOL again! avocado tofutti! LOL. Ah, you made my morning!

pao

Did you watch the playoff game (which is what he was talking about)? I think it was pretty apparent who was the better team that day. Disclaimer: While I think the Chargers were the better team that day I do not in any way discount the Patriots. That is the genius of Tom Brady and the Patriot organisation. They will beat you even if you have a better team because they make plays WHEN THE GAME IS BEING PLAYED. This isn't baseball where 4 out of 7 is good enough (or 8 out of 10).

pao

early alzheimer's ,Ka-pao?

The Giants won in the same fashion the Patriots have so many times in the past. They made the one big 'HOLY CRAP' play near the end of the game, scored the go ahead points, and the defense shuts the door.

Something the Patriots almost did...but couldn't do this time around.

The Giants won in the same fashion the Patriots have so many times in the past. They made the one big 'HOLY CRAP' play near the end of the game, scored the go ahead points, and the defense shuts the door.

Something the Patriots almost did...but couldn't do this time around.
Excellent analysis.

pao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back