Welcome to PatsFans.com

This should have been the entire stimulus

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by BelichickFan, Jul 10, 2009.

1. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

More Tax Breaks Eyed For Natural Gas Cars - Automotive News Story - WHNS Greenville

"Senators joined Texas oilman T. Boone Pickens on Wednesday to propose legislation that would increase tax credits for natural gas that were created by a 2005 energy law. About 10 million vehicles globally run on natural gas, but only a small fraction of those are in the United States."

I've said this before. The problem with natural gas cars is they're too expensive and there are few gas stations with natural gas for refueling. Instead of all the bullsh!t the obamans are sending checks out for we should have started a big gas station retrofit program to convert 1/4 (more depending how many cars convert) or so of gas stations to natural gas. Imagine the number of blue collar jobs in that. Tax breaks for new natural gas cars and conversions for regular cars. Instead we're giving tax breaks for buying cars for which you can't go far because there's nowhere to refuel them.

Of course the obamans wouldn't like my plan because it wouldn't allow them so socially engineer where they spend the money (i.e. give the money to their friends and those they need re-elected) and it would eliminate the need for Cap & Tax.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

This is not that kind of political issue. The problem is that the pro climate change forces are trying to cobble together some kind of plan that can get enough votes. Each state has different interests, and its congressional delegation, regardless of political affiliation, reflects that. There's no way our system can produce a good climate bill. There are too many competing interests on both sides. In addition, the cap and trade model is the best these competing interests could come up with on an international level. It too is a compromise.

I think the question is, It it better to have a mediocre climate bill or to do nothing?
  3. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

To answer your question, it had better be a DAMN GOOD bill with the money it would cost. Even a fantastic bill is debatable whether it's worth it.

Natural gas goes far beyond climate, though, it would totally reduce our dependence on foreign oil and it would provide a crazy amount of good jobs. They would be jobs for multiple years and we'd come out much better for it at the end as we would provide our own natural gas.

Instead we're giving tax breaks for vehicles that can't be refueled except in a few of the biggest cities.
  4. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I would prefer an investment in building towards a hydrogen fuel cell infrastructure...........CNG is just a pit stop in terms of where the world needs to go in terms of energy needs..........hydrogen is renewable.....none of the others are

the world also needs to learn to eat less meat
  5. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I support it...

However, I hate that T. Boone Pickens is pushing and using government to his own ends.

I would feel much better behind supporting his causes if he didn't go all in on natural gas before making commercials, and pushing legislation to make his companies make more money.

We don't need government to create demand for something. If the people want it, they will demand it. Their obviously is no real demand for natural gas vehicles right now.

Electric will squash any gas based car anyways... So instead of pouring money into natural gas vehicles, we should go straight into electric cars that perform better and are easier to use.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

Right, when I said "entire stimulus" this is actually the "blue collar" part of what I said 6 months or so ago with the rest being a White Collar Manhattan Project style think tank/development area that would develop a totally renewable form.

The White Collar part, though, is more theoretical that may or may not be achievable. The Blue Collar part, converting gas stations and cars, could have been started months ago and we have the working technology now.
  7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm concerned that the nation as a whole will spend who knows how many trillions converting to natural gas and some guy will perfect electric cars two seconds later and then we're stuck converting again. I agree with Pickens in that electric tech isn't quite there yet. I'm just not so sure its wise to go with natural gas in what could be a very short mean time.

I laughed at a carpenter buddy of mine's new cordless drill that had a battery I figured was perfectly-sized for your average house wife. Until I saw the torque it put out and the charge length and charge time. Electric fuel cell tech is racing forward the way compy tech was back when all your friends laughed when you said you just bought a 10 gig hard drive.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -9

#24 Jersey

No doubt we don't know what's coming but worst case we would put a heck of a lot of blue collar types to work and that's a good thing - it's the intent of the stimulus. If better technology makes it irrelevant then that's fantastic, even better, but in the meantime we would have spent the stimulus on actual, real, good jobs that really help the country for some time whether it's short, medium or long term.
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +114 / 7 / -10

Nothing would be far better since domesticated primates and their activities have an almost immeasurable impact of the Earth's climate.

Just a power and money grab by greedy politicians.