PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This season has taught me that drafting BPA is the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
i3rm12jpg.gif

Having asked the question of what to do with the Jets, I'd try to answer it.

1) Commit to a full rebuilding, that will take 4-5 years, just like Detroit did.

2) Plan on Winning after you draft an Offensive line and Defensive line line. That will take a minimum of three drafts and 3-5 linemen.

3) Draft a QB and a LB or three and commit to letting them learn for two or three seasons. Sanchize ain't it.

4) Draft to fill your secondary which is only half way full.

5) Fill out the team with RBs and WRs which can be bought or added at the end.

There are simply no shortcuts, or you can muddle along convincing youself and your fans, that you can win every August, and end up going nowhere. And in another 43 years the Jets will be exactly where they are now.

I really like your post, but again--I am not sure if there's a totally clear cut answer here. I think that Deus said it best when he explained the combination of variables that go into the thinking.

I do not truly 100% agree with your assessment on the Solder pick, as you state that the future of Matt Light was in doubt? Was it? Do we know that for a fact?

Thanks for your comments and I agree with many of your statements.

Nate's size and athleticism are rare. Its not often a 6-8 300 lbs tackle is available in the draft. His size may be considered a mismatch to many in the league, when he is coached up to play at the pro level. Solder was to incubate, learn from the current o-line and compete for a starting job. In time, BB knew Nate's size and athleticism would win him a starting roll. I think Nate made the jump quite early, and became an impact player because of his attributes. Nate the manimal became a run blocker and was put in the game where ever BB could fit him in.

When a player in the draft has the characteristics of the ideal, or dream player, its tough to not make the pick. Mallet is 6-6, Hoyer is 6-2. Mallet is the clear winner as an ideal QB.

Lots go into the draft, there are many variables, but I think BB loves ideal or dream player attributes. BB can coach players up if they are smart enough to learn. A player with the ideal form will have a bigger impact relative to other players in the league who lack the ideal attributes. Again BB likes to draft smart kids, Nate was smart, and fit BB's ideal form. In time Nate may be a better player than Light. (I hope I don't eat those words.)

LeBron James is a monster Forward, Nate is a monster tackle. James needed coaching, Nate is getting coached up, and has had a big impact in NE.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye