Welcome to PatsFans.com

This says it all -- Talk about a monopoly: we got one when it comes the "news"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

From MSNBC, no less, so you *know* it's the truth!!

---------------

THE GREAT DIVIDE: REPORTERS GIVE DEMS MONEY OVER REPUBLICANS 9 TO 1!

Journalists dole out cash to politicians (quietly)
    News organizations diverge on handling of political activism by staff

In addition to giving $500 to Democratic congressional candidate Jim Esch, Omaha TV reporter Calvert Collins posted a photo of the two of them on her Facebook page, saying, "Vote for him Tuesday, Nov. 7!" She says her father wrote the check, and she was just building rapport with candidates.

By Bill Dedman
    Investigative reporter
    MSNBC
    Updated: 8:22 a.m. ET June 21, 2007

BOSTON - A CNN reporter gave $500 to John Kerry's campaign the same month he was embedded with the U.S. Army in Iraq. An assistant managing editor at Forbes magazine not only sent $2,000 to Republicans, but also volunteers as a director of an ExxonMobil-funded group that questions global warming. A junior editor at Dow Jones Newswires gave $1,036 to the liberal group MoveOn.org and keeps a blog listing "people I don't like," starting with George Bush, Pat Robertson, the Christian Coalition, the NRA and corporate America ("these are the people who are really in charge").

Whether you sample your news feed from ABC or CBS (or, yes, even NBC and MSNBC), whether you prefer Fox News Channel or National Public Radio, The Wall Street Journal or The New Yorker, some of the journalists feeding you are also feeding cash to politicians, parties or political action committees.

MSNBC.com identified 144 journalists who made political contributions from 2004 through the start of the 2008 campaign, according to the public records of the Federal Election Commission. Most of the newsroom checkbooks leaned to the left: 125 journalists gave to Democrats and liberal causes. Only 17 gave to Republicans. Two gave to both parties.

more: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113485
    ---------------

And with such a monopoly of domination over the news we get via the "mainstream" outlets, there is now ZERO wonder why more and more people simply DO NOT TRUST the news sources we could once depend upon for being mostly straight up, professional, and as unbiased as humanly possible.

//
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

It's pitiful and largely explains why so many people "favor" Democrat issues - it's forced down their throat.

The amazing part is the lefty whining about bringing back the Fairness Doctrine regarding talk radio when this is what we get on TV.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

You're correct. And it is something to be concerned about. If the Left *expands* its influence by somehow muzzling the airwaves or other free speech venues (internet???!), America will become a very dark and desolate place. This is very serious, actually.

//
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Makes sense to me, keep the Liberals on TV and get rid of Hannity, Limbaugh, etc, from the radio. Perfect.

:bricks:
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

While I'll concede that more journalists people are Dems than are Repubs, the fact is that the majority of serioius journalists try to write objectively, whether they are right-wing or left wing. The news pages of the Globe, the NYT, the WSJ, the Washington Times are respected because they report their stories in a balanced way.

On the other hand, editorial policy is set by the board of a corporation, which chooses the top people, who in turn set editorial policy. The owners of most media companies are moderate or conservative from what I've read.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Actually, they don't. But believe that slop that you just wrote if you like. Admittedly I don't read every one of those papers every day but using Bush's social security plan as an example (one of the few good things he's tried to do) I saw basically no support for him in any kind of media. Take all your liberal slop and see how many articles are written for the other side.

Taming down the rhetoric from overtly partisan to suggestively partisan does not make a reporter balanced.
  7. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agreed... There are few things more pathetic than the incessant whining of the American liberal about Fox News. They can't stand the fact that of 8 major news outlets, one dares to be right-leaning.
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Well, people often say writers play the role of prophets, and we had Aldous Huxley (Brave New World) and George Orwell (1984, Animal Farm) who were both prescient about the age we are in right now.

We are in need of clear vision of who we are, how we got here, and where we need to go. We need RIGOROUS investigation, without bias, tin foil, or denigrating naysayers dominating the marketplace of ideas.

//
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

What Bias, There's No Bias

Have you ever watched a liberal's eye twitch and their lips quiver when you say these words "the left wing media" they tremble and start stuttering and whining they become enraged and start bellowing "WHAT LEFT WING MEDIA, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LIBERAL BIASED MEDIA"

When Bernie Goldberg wrote his best seller book titled "Bias" CBS wanted him shot dead, the NY Times said he should go to jail for life, Dan Rather had to be sedated, he was banned from all the "Lefty Looney Kocktail Partys" Oh Jesus.

Read This:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19113485
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

While it may be true that *owners* tend to be more on the conservative side, almost all are also in the business to make money. So they will put into their papers/TV/magazine whatever they believe will give them a profitable return on their investment. Hence, the contents are often produced with a merely economic interest in mind, rather than a public-service interest. Thus quality often suffers for the sake of "expediency".

It should be noted that Rev. Moon has funded the Washington Time for more than 25 years, and it has ALWAYS operated at a loss; no profit. That's neither a brag nor a complaint; but it means he has done it as a public service rather than as a business venture. In the future, however, it definitely *should* make at working profit, to pay its own way if nothing else.

If the NYTimes or WashPast lost money the way the WashTimes does, they would have folded their tents decades ago because they have no solid ideology to offer. The WTimes publishes for the sake of giving the straight-up news, as best as humanly possible. And I'm very proud of being associated with that.

//
  11. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Re: What Bias, There's No Bias

Remember when Mario Cuomo stood in front of the cameras and said: "There is no such thing as a 'mafia'"??

//
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

:singing: Mario Cuomo, he used to be the darling of the Left, wasn't there story's of his own relatives being mixed up in "The Mafia That Didn't Exist"?
  13. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

He son, Andrew, is "clean" though. He was a Congressman.

Anybody here know where Whitey Bulgar is these days?? Is his brother -- who "has no idea" where Whitey is -- still on the public teat with his job as president of UMAss??

//
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  14. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Does this contrast with the previous thread about how there are about 90 to 10% conservative radio stations across this country???..
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

It's a little different because Liberals have tried to start their own talk radio shows/networks, they just generally fail. Whereas with TV the Republicans finally get a foot in the door (Fox News), it is wildly successful then criticized for being Conservative.

16. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He is no longer the president there but I do believe he still draws a taxpayer funded, 6-figure pension.... I may be mistaken about that though...
  17. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Fox news programs are not right leaning. Shep Smith is straight down the line.

Yes, they have O'Rielly which is not a news program and he is right leaning but not "far right". They have Hannity and Colmbs one far right and one far left. The have Greta who is a Dem and married to a former Clinton Admin official.

Gibson is right, Cavuto is pretty middle. Britt Hume is somewhat conservative but not far right. So the commentary shows do lean a little right but the hard news programs do not.

The thing must people don't understand is that the face that they see is not that important. It's the directors and most importantly the producers that decide what goes on. If there were a survey of those people who work for the 5 major news outlets, I would bet 85% would be lefties.

So the Fox News Network may lean a little right in total but it is countered by MSNBC, CNN, and the 3 "major networks" who are left leaning.
  18. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

Just look at Amnesty BF, how's that reported on the news?

PAtters is the most partisan hack in this entire forum. Of course he thinks they report "objectively" in the news That's cuz they write leftist slant virtually all of the time. :bricks:

You need look no further than the immigration issue to see how slanted, and bias, our media is.
  19. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

So it gives you the idea of the kind of monopoly the Left wants to have in America, when the entire Democrat field of candidates decides it will boycott Fox. This has all the hallmarks of a totalitarian one-party state scheme. Not something to pooh-pooh.

//
  20. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Is the world upside down or what.

//
  21. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

I find their whining comical to be quite honest. They chastize FOX as if to say that they are the only one who has a slant or lean. You know, FOX is eeeeeeevil, without ever conceding that the others are guilty of the same. Like I do with my politics, in choosing the individual, over the party, I choose to watch different shows, as opposed to a single channel. Never the less, the whining is funny, and it is strictly because the monopoly is over, and they don't like it.
  22. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

For years the "left wing media" told the story the way they wanted us to hear it, Conkrite, Rather, Jennings, Brokaw they were the kings, they babbled we listened, we believed, then something happened, suddenly we were hearing all the things they left out, all the little things they didn't want us to know.

NOW THEY'RE GOING NUTS :singing:

Dan Rodent Rather feeds pigeons every morning in Central Park and talks to himself, he still doesn't know what hit him.
  23. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

:D

In the span of less than a year the three nets lost all of their prime cut anchors: Jennings died; Brokaw retired to the bar (loves Scotch, so I hear -- from him), and Rather is still trying to figure out what went wrong. Maybe it was Katie Couric all along; maybe *she* "set him up"! Or maybe something greater than we can see is happening.

... dancing on the ceiling.... :singing:

//
  24. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

I don't read the Washington Post enough to comment, but I do read the New York Times. And, if you read it, you'll see why it's so respected. It reports the news in a straightforward and informative way. It covers far more news than most other papers, and it gets both sides of the story. Now, it's editorial pages are fairly liberal and it has more liberal than conservative columnists, but it's news pages are very straightforward, and most of the news is not political. The Washington Times, which I occasionally read online, is very similar, but it doesn't have as much news as the New York Times.
  25. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

The gazillion Abu Garaib front page stories was over the top. The republishing of the pictures on the anniversary was completely irresposible.
  26. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

O'Reilly isn't far right? And Hannity and Colmes balance each other out? LOL. You forget to mention that the Cambodian ****, Ann Coulter, and countless other right wing hacks are frequently on as guests.

MSNBC is left? Joe Scarborough and Tucker Carlson have their own shows. The only opinion show on CNN is Lou Dobbs and he's basically a fascist when it comes to issues such as immigration. The only liberal that has his own show on any of the three cable news channels is Olberman.
  27. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

FOX is right, the rest are left. Look at the guests on those shows, and tell me they are split down the middle equally. They are not. Odorman and Matthews are left. Tucker is a conservative with Libertarian ideals. BOR is a conservative, which clearly makes him aligned with the right. The bottom line is, you need to mix your shows up. My two most watched are Mathews and BOR, with the rest all mixed in. I surf between the shows alot.
  28. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

No question the NYTimes sets the standard for newspapers in terms of size, maintaining a consistent professional standard, and education of her staff -- I once heard they turned down a PhD who wanted to be a reporter -- as well as phyical plant, reach, and influence. Their ad pages are the envy of every newspaper in America, if not the world. They are the New York Yankees of newspapers, that's for sure.

But -- and you can see where I'm going with this -- that's also the problem: they are so good on the outside they have lost their soul in so many ways. Oh, no one can fault their humanism; they "love humanity" as much as the next guy, maybe even more, but it is always from THEIR OWN POINT OF VIEW, which they regard as sacrosanct and above question.

"Hubris", I believe, is what it is called. The NYTimes considers itself above all question, they utterly refuse to consider they may be overlooking or skewing some of their coverages, and that is simply not good enough to be a true number one.

The Washington Times, operating on a scale of perhaps 10% of the NYTimes, has a soul that I believe Alexis de Tocqueville would be able to recognize and appreciate. Despite her small size and limited resources, the WashTimes puts out a first rate quality product, fit for king and subject alike. It follows a principle that has been embedded as far back as we can see, as it is based on the premise of God the Creator/Father and we, the people, as His children.

Though it does not preach much religion -- outside of Wes Pruden's Christian editorial sermons -- it covers the human situation with God and God's perspective always in the foreground, never relegated to the sidelines, as I feel in reading the the New York Times.

//
  29. Patters

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

That's not my impression of the Washington Times, but unlike the NYT, I read it for only specific stories. As I've said to you before, when I want a conservative viewpoint, I read the WT because it does put the news first, editorial policy second, as all good papers do. (I used to read the LA Times for a conservative viewpoint, but it's grown more liberal, and the WSJ is subscriber only.) I have a lot of respect for journalists. Those I've known, regardless of their politics, are far more interested in getting the story right than in pushing an agenda.
  30. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

O'Reilly is Right Center, a conservative independent. He is far from far right such as Ann Coulter. Colmes is a *****.

MSNBC is about as far left as a major network can go and still be taken seriously, if you consider their ratings an indication of the american people taking them seriously. As far as Dobbs, he is Left Center based on what I have read in his articles and what little of his show I've watched. CNN also has Glenn Beck who is more in line with O'Reilly.

I realize you are far left, especially if you consider O'Reilly far right. What most of the O'Reilly haters don't realize is that his view on most topics are in line with the majority in this country (personality aside). And the reason he is attacked so much by the far left, is because he calls them out every chance he gets. Glenn Beck on CNN does the same thing, he just isn't as popular. But both of them view most of the issues through a common sense lens, not ideology, just like the majority of Americans do.