This past week's Patriots salary cap happenings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
1.) Updated my main page as well as the 2016 and 2017 cap pages so as to reflect June 1 cuts. Will update 2015/2018/2019 later this summer.

2.) Updated my dead money breakdown
http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=478
Pats have over 11 million. Yes, I know that Aaron Hernandez takes about $7.5 million of it.

3.) Updated my 2014 Patriots salary cap picture
http://www.patsfans.com/salary-cap/?p=475

4.) The Boston Globe's Ben Volin reported that the Pats saved about 50K in signing bonus money by trading down for Bryan Stork. My math says that the Pats increased their signing bonus costs by doing so.

Stork's signing bonus = 477,000. Halapio's signing bonus = $123,100. Total = 600,100. The signing bonus for the player selected at the 93rd slot is $533,600. My math says that 600,100 is more than 533,600:)

5.) This is the last week to cut/trade player signed past this season and have their dead money count JUST against the 2014 cap

6.) If the Pats want Andre Carter, Austin Collie, and Will Svitek to count in the compensatory pick calculation after June 1, the Pats have to make them a tender offer of 110% of their 2013 cap number. The reverse is true. If the Dolphins want Dustin Keller to count in their compensatory pick calculations, they had to make him the same 110% tender offer. His 2013 cap number was over 4 million.

$600,100 > $533,600

THIS is why we need Miguel here to help us!

I didn't realize that about June 1 and compensatory picks, but it does have some logic; it wouldn't make much sense to reward a club with a compensatory pick if they made no attempt to re-sign a player over an almost three-month period of time.

On the Volin note - and I don't have the article at hand - I believe he was making a point just about the Stork transaction - if they had drafted him at the end of the third rather than early in the fourth. He pointed to a difference in CBA rules for between second & third round deals and fourth and later round deals. We note the specific rules of the first round, with the fifth year option clause. He pointed out some contract language on the second and third.

Obviously the Patriots ended up with an additional player by trading back, as is often the case.

On the Volin note - and I don't have the article at hand - I believe he was making a point just about the Stork transaction - if they had drafted him at the end of the third rather than early in the fourth. He pointed to a difference in CBA rules for between second & third round deals and fourth and later round deals. We note the specific rules of the first round, with the fifth year option clause. He pointed out some contract language on the second and third.

Obviously the Patriots ended up with an additional player by trading back, as is often the case.

Maybe Miguel can point out what specifically he's referring to, but I can't see anything in the CBA that sets third-rounders apart from other rounds.

Volin claims that the CBA spells out the contracts details for the 1st round and 2nd round picks but not the 3rd. I could not find that distinction in the CBA.

Ben Volin wrote:
"In dropping just 12 spots from the third to the fourth round, the Patriots didn’t have to bother negotiating with the player they drafted (center Bryan Stork). And they saved about $50,000 in signing bonus money by taking him at 105 instead of 93."

It appears that Volin is not including Halapio's signing bonus in his calculations,.

I like the new June 1 rule, and I like it better than the baseball correlary.
This provides a better opportunity for veterans to gain jobs. When signing veteran back-ups teams have to weigh the loss of a compensatory pick. And given the byzantine rules, it's possible signing a couple cheap back-ups could negate a relatively high pick, if you lose a Mario Williams but sign a couple Andre Carters.
Removing the compensation prior to training camp enables veteran players to come in and compete. In baseball the compensation is not lost until well into the season.

I like the new June 1 rule, and I like it better than the baseball correlary.
This provides a better opportunity for veterans to gain jobs. When signing veteran back-ups teams have to weigh the loss of a compensatory pick. And given the byzantine rules, it's possible signing a couple cheap back-ups could negate a relatively high pick, if you lose a Mario Williams but sign a couple Andre Carters.
Removing the compensation prior to training camp enables veteran players to come in and compete. In baseball the compensation is not lost until well into the season.
The June 1 rule is not new. It has been around for awhile. Was also in the 2006 CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back