PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This must be why obnoxious Steelers fans don't pester us anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I guess they're now obsessed with the Bengals now that Carson Palmer's declared war on the Steelers.

I knew I liked this kid! Of course, I tend to root for any guy to come back from such a nasty knee injury.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5639370

It's May 25 and Sirius NFL Radio is flooded with Steelers and Bengals talk.

Why?

It is because of Mike Silver's outstanding cover story in this week's edition of Sports Illustrated documenting Carson Palmer's quest to be on the field for opening day following major knee surgery.

In the article, Palmer talks about his hatred for the Steelers.

He doesn't call out a player or rip the Pittsburgh organization. The quarterback isn't disrespectful. Palmer just loathes the Steelers and wants what that organization has — a championship. He speaks for every Bengal player and fan.

This is fantastic for the game. The Bengals-Steelers rivalry has been one-sided nearly forever. Now, based on the Steelers' winning the Super Bowl, the Pittsburgh run started in a game where Palmer's knee was ripped up, the Bengals winning the AFC North, the comparisons between the quarterbacks, and now Palmer's comments, the Cincinnati vs. Pittsburgh games will be as anticipated as any this season.

If that proves anything it's that Bengals are obsessed with the Steelers.

For the record I like Palmer as well and the Pitt Cincy rivalry should be a good one for many years.

If Palmer didn't go down in that playoff game the Steelers were going to get killed. They barely won against a horrid Maddox.

MrTibbs said:
If Palmer didn't go down in that playoff game the Steelers were going to get killed. They barely won against a horrid Maddox.

First off the score was 31-17 with Pitt running the clock out at the end.
Second Maddox plays fro the Steelers. Kitna plays for Cincy.

Way to bring it.

If cinci management allows Palmer to start the season they are crazy. They should consider keeping him out for the whole season to ensure the knee is fully healed. He is their meal ticket for the next 12 years... are they going to jeopardize it foolishly? Palmer is a great passer, but a bit jittery in clutch situations. He doesn't have Brady-like poise.

MrTibbs said:
If Palmer didn't go down in that playoff game the Steelers were going to get killed.
I don't think we can say that but I do think there was definitely a better than 50-50 chance the Bengals would have won the game.

BelichickFan said:
I don't think we can say that but I do think there was definitely a better than 50-50 chance the Bengals would have won the game.

I disagree.

Coming into the game the Steelers were playing great and Cincy was in full fledged collapse mode. Their D and special teams were falling apart. They had given up 74 points in there last 2 games including 37 to Buffalo which is pretty much impossible.

Palmer or no Palmer Pittsburgh was a good bet to win that game.

Certainly their chances were better with Palmer. He'd probably have thrown the ball to Chad Johnson more and he wouldn't have been throwing a hissy fit in the locker room. If nothing else that would have made Chad happy since he proved that day how little winning means to him.

Last edited:
MrTibbs said:

Actually, the Stealers should be thanking God the Pats sucked in taht game vs. Denver. If not for the turnovers, NE wins another SB. Pitt would have gotten smacked in Foxboro.

dhamz said:
Palmer or no Palmer Pittsburgh was a good bet to win that game.
I don't think so but we'll never know. The Steelers' vulnerability was the deep ball which the Bengals lost with no Palmer but had exploited big on the play he got hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we can safely say that there was no way Cinci was going to win that game. If Oehlhoffen hadn't taken out Palmer's knee on that play, another Steeler would have done it shortly after. That was a bounty hit for what Odell Thurman did to Roethlesberger's knee in the prior Cinci/Pitt game which the Steelers lost. Thurman's hit was just as dirty but Ben survived it. Palmer didn't.

Last edited:
That's complete and utter horse**** Pony.

It was an eye for eye tooth for tooth play. If you don't think all the Steelers watched that play that Thurman made to Ben's knees, and that the Steeler coaching staff pointed it out ad nauseum to their players... I doubt they gave a directive to the players, but they didn't have to. It was understood. Nobody in the NFL on either side of that battle will admit it to the press, but they know too. Code of silence, you know...

Last edited:
Maybe the code for the Broncos. Not the Steelers

PonyExpress said:
Thurman's hit was just as dirty but Ben survived it. Palmer didn't.

I didn't see Ben's hit as much as Palmer's - but it DID NOT look even remotely like a hit that was intended to injure... just bad luck - it happens

Neither hit was dirty. Wipe your ****s and quit your crying. This is football.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but I can still remember Brady going down in the AFCCG in 2001 on-surprise- a low hit. I love the Steelers toughness, I believe Ben is the #2 QB in the league, if any AFC team had to win a SB other than the Pats I'm fine with the Steelers, but Cowher and his team would do anything short of prison time to win a playoff game, especially with the hometown criticism they were taking over previous failures. Don't forget the hallowed memory of Greg "Have mercy on us" LLoyd, one of the great QB headhunters in NFL history, whose memory is still cherished in the Steel Town. Sorry, I give no benefit of the doubt on that play to Cowher or his team. Too much history there.

I don't care what benefit you give.
By you're assessment of the NFC vs AFC your judgements don't carry a lot of weight.

Last edited:
Apparently Roethlisberger disagrees with you. He says the hit to his knee by Thurman was dirty: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05342/618972.stm Do you think his comments, the comments of their starting QB, went unnoticed by the rest of his team when they played the Bengals again?

The number of assumptions you are making is mind-boggling.

C'mon. You know the truth, Closing time, and snicker about it with your Steeler friends when there are no witnesses around... Taking out QBs is a beloved steeler tradition. If you want to pretend you're shocked and dismayed and your team is made up of choir boys coached by a saint, I'll go along with it...:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey