PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This 'Manning Bowl' Hype Is Ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Does anyone else think it is just pain stupid? What about the other 104 payers on those teams who are being totally disregarded in this media wet dream? The worst are the "touching" commercials about their childhood and their parents. This game is probably never going to live up to the hype, especially if the media keeps putting so much pressure on it to be great. We all know how the Manning's respond under pressure.;)

If all three of the Mannings weren't such media whores, they wouldn't have to feed the hype as they are doing.

Nobody is holding a gun to their heads to appear in the commercials, the tender feature stories around the family table, and so on and so forth.

Heck, maybe some day, one of them will actually win something.

I do think this is so over the top it's gag-inducing. But I expected nothing less. In fact, I'm stuck watching a freakin' interview with these two idiots right this minute on TV. You just can't escape it.

I wish they could both lose. However, they are both losers, so that's a consolation.

Last edited:
Now they have taken over the college halftime show too.

Mama Olivia just said (with a straight face) that one of them will have to lose and we will just hug him and go on....

Where is that barf smilie when you really need one.

Last edited:
MoLewisrocks said:

Mama Olivia just said (with a straight face) that one of them will have to lose and we will just hug him and go on....

Yeah I'm watching that right now during the Penn State Notre Dame halftime show. It is so heartwarming.:rolleyes:

MoLewisrocks said:

That's what I'm watching too.

Nice treacly guitar music in the background.:rolleyes:

even more ridiculous...

hwc said:
If all three of the Mannings weren't such media whores, they wouldn't have to feed the hype as they are doing.
Nobody is holding a gun to their heads to appear in the commercials, the tender feature stories around the family table, and so on and so forth.
many people will watch because of the hype e.g.Tuna Bowl. the networks do it because they know it works. every time.

iBTW, in the name of 21st century multiculturalism, the noun "whore" is now generally pronounced as "hoe". int the plural, "hoes". in referring to another person, the phrase coming into common usage is "she a hoe". in cases where the noun is used as a verb, the phrase "he's hoeing himself to the (media)".

hwc said:

Don't hold your breath :D I was hoping Eli wouldn't turn out like his "look at me" brother, but sadly I'm starting to wonder.

I like how Sterling just gave Peyton the edge because of his "big game experience." Uhh, he's LOST every big game.

I love how Sterling Sharpe says that Peyton has the advantage because he has more experience in the big pressure games like the ones against New England and Pittsburgh, so he knows how to handle them better. Well, it certainly hasn't worked so far, Sterling.

I like the hype, and i think if you like football, you should. There is nothing better than wittnessing history, and you should appreciate that. When are you ever going to see this again, NEVER!

PatsSox363804 said:
I like how Sterling just gave Peyton the edge because of his "big game experience." Uhh, he's LOST every big game.

Great minds think alike.

belichickaholic said:
Don't hold your breath :D I was hoping Eli wouldn't turn out like his "look at me" brother, but sadly I'm starting to wonder.
i grew quickly to have a contempt and disgust for ol' peyton, who makes sure his is right before stepping out any door. but i was beginning to think that eli was just a kid who wanted to be a dang good QB. i live in new haven and see a lot of games.
but the Noo Yawk media is not just oppressive, it's mind-numbing. in boston the kid would get maybe 50 media outlets at a post-game Q&A. down there it's like 100 reporters and "personalities", foreign-language press, comments broadcast live on AM radio, more than the whole nine yards.
IMHO he's just being turned to the dark side of the force.

Last edited:
frankiesfly said:
I like the hype, and i think if you like football, you should. There is nothing better than wittnessing history, and you should appreciate that. When are you ever going to see this again, NEVER!

I'd be perfectly content to never witness it in the first place.

frankiesfly said:

The only reason this is witnessing history is because of the media hype. Without it this would just be another sibling matchup game. There have been quite a few sibling pairs in the NFL (Sterling and Shannon Sharpe, Ronde and Tiki Barber) but they don't/didn't get this type of hype. Some games become classics simply because the quality of the football itself, while others become classics because off the field story lines and relentless media hype. This is one of those games.

zippo59 said:
The only reason this is witnessing history is because of the media hype. Without it this would just be another sibling matchup game. There have been quite a few sibling pairs in the NFL (Sterling and Shannon Sharpe, Ronde and Tiki Barber) but they don't/didn't get this type of hype.
In this case, the siblings are QBs -- the most important position -- and both are top performers. As it happens, both are jerks, so lots of people can root against one, the other, or both. So, the hype is legit, and I'll be watching. Bring on the manning bowl.

Aw, c'mon folks. Look on the really bright side. No matter what, a Manning has to lose !! Isn't that heartwarming ?

As much as I can't stand Peyton (as a player), the Mannings are actually good people. Peyton is actually quite good in his commercials, most of them are very funny. The new ESPN commercial when Peyton & Eli are on an ESPN tour with their parents, and Eli gives Peyton a wet willie, and the guide and their parents look back at them like they are misbehaving kids is quite funny. Then Peyton gives his little brother a kick in the ass. Also the Peyton commercial when he's wearing a wig and mustache, I have to admit I get a chuckle out of that one every time.

A couple of years ago, I had a huge dislike for Peyton because of all the press he would get despite his playoff failures, and the Pats got no love. Since then, the Pats have been getting plenty of positive press, especially Brady (Friday ESPN had a list of the NFL's top 10 playmakers, and Brady was #1, Peyton was #4). I still have to shake my head everytime one of the talking heads pick the Colts to win it all, despite suffering bigger losses than us (Edgerrin is a bigger loss than anyone we lost, and now Vinatieri is hurt), and I will have disdain for Peyton until he proves his worthiness of all the hype.

That being said, I will most definately watch the game, and will be rooting for the Giants.

Last edited by a moderator:
arrellbee said:
Aw, c'mon folks. Look on the really bright side. No matter what, a Manning has to lose !! Isn't that heartwarming ?
They could tie :)

It's blown out of proportion but I still find it intriguing and will watch it. Of course if a BB and Parcells SB happened the hype would be beyond ridiculous, but I bet no one here would complain about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back