Welcome to PatsFans.com

This man is no longer a terrorist

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Jul 1, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]
    "US President Bush George W. Bush today signed the bill H.R. 5690, which removes the African National Congress from the list, into law. As a result Nobel Laureate and former South African President Nelson Mandela is no longer considered a terrorists in the United States."

http://you.presscue.com/node/1028
  2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Considering his and his wife's use of terror tactics, including putting tires around their victims and setting them on fire (documented in the NY Times, btw), I think that's sad.
  3. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Another reason to hate Bush. This man is a piece of SH!T.
  4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

wow, Nelson Mandela haters. Now I've seen it all.
  5. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So, seriously, Wildo: you're against me being able to shoot someone who comes into my home to violate it and steal my possessions, but you're okay with a guy who was involved in putting burning tires around the necks of his enemies etc?

How do you rationalize things like this? How do you make the leap between 'Bush and Gitmo are evil' and Nelson Mandela is good good good?
  6. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I'd like to see a source for that for starters. And South Africa was absolute chaos back then, it would have been nearly impossible for any black activist to avoid the the brutality of both sides, that's the nature of war.

He also renounced violence fairly early on and insisted the ANC include their own crimes in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission against the will of much of his party.

It's a totally different situation than an angry racist redneck shooting a Mexican burglar in his neighbor's yard.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  7. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So...wait. I said ME and MY so are you calling me an angry racist redneck now?

I hope not. I might be angry and whatever else Moe says down there...but I'm not a racist or a redneck....

I gotta go to bed I think. I can't sleep lately, I had to take some stuff and I think it's starting to work so I'll argue with you some more tomorrow.
    :D

Have a good one. :p
  8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

I was referring to Joe Horn, former Saints Wide Receiver turned angry Texas murderer:D

Peace.
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

Wildo, we should know by now, this board is mainly a place for the left and the right to attack one another.

Just find a negative story about "the other side" and post it! Why some people find satisfaction in that is beyond me, but they seem to get a kick out of it.

Not a lot of intellect to it really...actually, it requires zero intellect.:rolleyes:
  10. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 5 / -8

I have no idea what the actual connection between Mandela and necklacings is; i.e., how much of this activity was going on after his release from prison. It was a great big disturbing story, attributed to Winnie Mandela, while Nelson was in prison. I remember her giving a speech in which she said something like "We're going to win... we have our [positive attribute], we have our [positive attribute], and yes, we have our necklaces."

Abhorrent tactic, by the way. So is stripping a guy and brushing hot tar all over his body. But revolutions do some over the top things to enemies and perceived enemies. That doesn't exculpate anybody, but it is meant to provide context.

So Winnie was a fan of necklacing, but given that he was in prison at the time, and given that he split from Winnie shortly after being freed, I don't know that this connects Nelson Mandela to the tactic. At any rate in S. Africa, the tactic was linked to the era prior to majority rule.

Mandela became prime minister in 1994, and like the rest of the world, we welcomed the new South African government as better than the alternative by leaps and bounds at that time. It is strange that we are just now getting around to removing the ANC from "the list."

Or maybe it's just that with gas prices so high, we simply believe it's cost prohibitive for anybody to enthusiastically embrace necklacing again.

Of course, we're not having this discussion about North Korea. They just blew up a cooling tower and that was that.

I think a lot of countries are learning from what N. Korea has been able to get in return for its nuclear "cooperation": If you build it, they will cave.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  11. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

It's interesting to examine the differences between the way Canada honors Nelson Mandela and the way the United States honors him.

Canada: induct him into the Order of Canada.

United States: remove him from the terrorist watch list.
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Interesting, Mandela is what he is a man who was imprisoned for his beliefs when SA had 80% blacks and 20% white. During a time of apartheid, SA reaped what it sowed and will pay for the sins fo the fathers for a long time.. the tide is turning, but very slowly..
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

No Comment
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Good for you..
  15. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

It was hard, had to bite my tongue but I did it...

BILL COSBY FOR PRESIDENT (GOD BLESS HIM)
  16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

Tongue typing a new dimension...
  17. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

For the record, I think the Texas case was a travesty. However, I hope (respectfully) that you can understand how some jaws hit the floor with this statement being typed by of all people. (specially the red bolded)

It definitely is a head scratcher for me.

Wes, Is Canada, IYO, a better country than the US?
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

PiNY..."Is Canada a better country...?"

Are you serious? Is your daddy better than my daddy?

Do you mean is the Canadian system of government better than ours? Surely no one can say what country is "Better". Who would be the judge of that?
  19. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Well, the question wasn't for you....... It was for Wes. He makes oft-repeted references to Canada, and how "they do it this way" and it's generally negatively slated towards the US.

So the question is legitimate. Hell, he might even be Canadian and thinks his country is "better". I'm asking. I think it's a fair question, considering his CONTINUOUS stream of Anti-American posts. He never has anything good to say about the US. There is no right or wrong answer, but it is a fair question.

You don't need to redefine a question that a person asks someone else. Really, you don't.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  20. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

U.S. having Nelson Mandela on a terrorist list is light years worse then having John Lennon on Hoover's blackmail list, and how stupid was that.