PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This loss is on Dave Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
So then one could draw the conclusion that the Pats didn't deserve to win any of the three Super Bowls that they played in? Because a dropped pass or a bad penalty like the one against Thomas would have been enough to lose any of those three games.

Please, people. Think about this stuff before you make a post.

Except that the Patriots won those games.

This loss is not Cassel's fault. It rests solely on Dave Thomas!

I usually like your posts, but this is silly. It was an emotional loss with many contributing factors. Clock management, play calling, missed passes, a stupid penalty.

Bad decisions cost us, simple as that really. It's hard to accept Gaffney's drop but hey, atleast he was trying to do the right things. Thomas had other ideas and BB went nuts on the 4th down timeout.

The Team wins... and the Team loses. Passes get dropped. Penalties are taken. In both cases the drops and penalties were both well below average in a game.

The Coaching was superb; the game-plan worked. The patient waiting for the long ball and then getting it only to have a drop happen.

Belichick coached one of his better games IMHO. Sometimes the luck just doesn't go your way. I can't criticize, the challenge; There was indeed a guy inbounds who was trying to get OOB, at the snap. He happened to be the 11th and not 12th.

I would have gone for the two pointer too. It's almost automatic. As a two pointer would have negated a future Colts TD. It makes no difference if you are behind by one or two. The opportunity to being tied is a big advantage.

I can't blame Thomas for that call. It wasn't one of those chippy "I need to get my shot in" fouls. He clearly thought the play was still going and was trying to throw a block. It was bang bang in terms of timing and he happened to do it in front of the refs.

So overall I just chalk it up to bad luck. But the refs picked a heck of a time to make a call like that. In a game where there was a total of 2 penalties for 10 yards assessed on BOTH teams calling a 15 yarder on the last drive essentially costing one team the game is ridiculous.

It was a bad call for the Pats and a bad call for the NFL.

If I were the Colts I wouldn't want to win that way.
It wasn't a bad call. The play was blown dead, Thomas should have heard the whistle. But this is a classic case of none-one-would-think-twice-about-this-if-it-happened-in-the-first-halfism. Ditto for Gaffney's drop.

another factor:

bad luck.

Benedict Vinatieri making a 52-yard FG is at best a 50-50 proposition. Sure he is clutch, but 52 yards is a long FG and I'd think at best a 50% proposition for anyone but Morton Anderson back in his prime 20 years ago. He misses that, it's a tie game and NE has the ball at the 42, 8 minutes left, having had two straight 15 play drives. I say the Pats would have run out the clock, and then Dungy is the goat for trying a low pecentage FG.

Last edited:
Gaffney screwed up, sure, but a dumb 15 yard penalty to give you 3rd and 15 rather than 3rd and short is far less excusable. If Thomas was cut today, I wouldn't even mind.

Except that the Patriots won those games.

Good call. Yes they did. Thing is, sometimes teams avoid mistakes like that and "get lucky". Sometimes they don't. Fact if the matter is, if any of those plays had happened in the Super Bowl, we wouldn't have won. In a nutshell, it's very easy to make a statement such as your's when those events do not go your way.

I usually like your posts, but this is silly. It was an emotional loss with many contributing factors. Clock management, play calling, missed passes, a stupid penalty.

Your probably right. That play really pissed me off. But one play doesn't cost you a game.

Your probably right. That play really pissed me off. But one play doesn't cost you a game.

Thank god you've come to your senses. :idea2:

Now the lousy part is you can't take back the kneejerk thread title...:ugh:

That is one reason Ian has asked folks posting here to think/pause before they hit that submit button.

I think it pissed us all off, but they should not have been in that position to begin with - Looks like we have beat this horse to death - lets move onto the Bills.

Thank god you've come to your senses. :idea2:

Now the lousy part is you can't take back the kneejerk thread title...:ugh:

That is one reason Ian has asked folks posting here to think/pause before they hit that submit button.

Hmm. In my case it have required: Pause/sober up before posting.

I think it pissed us all off, but they should not have been in that position to begin with - Looks like we have beat this horse to death - lets move onto the Bills.

We did more than beat this horse to death. We beat it into nothing by shards of bloody meat.

:rofl: Ticky tacky? Give me an effin' break!! Didn't realize it? For starters, nobody else was moving, I think some players were actually heading back to the huddle. On top of that, he had a ref standing 10 feet away blowing a freakin' whistle. How many more clues did this clown need to understand the play was over. Then the way he reacted afterwards was just icing on the cake. First he goes to the huddle and you can clearly see him mouthing the word "*********". You bet buddy, that call was all on the refs. Then you see him on the sidelines grinning afterwards. I would have had my head buried in the sand if I were him.

sry man but the whistle wasn't blown until well after the play and as such the play was not officially over. In a game in which they let the boys play the refs call a late hit on a inicident before the whistle was blown is just too bad for the pats . . . Thomas should not have may the play to put himself in a situation which allow the refs to make the call

I always hate to blame one play for a loss, but Gaffney's was bad, Thomas screwed up as well, but DO NOT blame BB for the loss, his gameplan was masterful. His game management he may have been subpar for HIS STANDARDS, but thats not why we lost.

this thread is so absurd. so let's say they kick a field goal and then lose in OT.

you're assuming the field goal would be made or they'd get a td.

the blame game isn't productive and doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey