PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is why I like the Patriot Way: competitive every year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Patriot Guy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As fans, I know it's tough on us sometimes seeing how the Pats run things. We see a free agent out there we feel would be perfect for us sign with someone else. We see the player we covet in the draft sitting there on the board only to see the Pats trade down or into the next draft. We watch other teams make trades and wonder why our team is just sitting back and watching.

This past season showed us why. We went 14-2 and our set up very well for the future. We have money to spend and plenty of draft picks. There's absolutely no real reason for Pats fans not to feel we should have an improved team going into next season.

It has to be a lot tougher being a Jets fan right now. With the amount of free agents they have and money already spent, it's going to be very tough to keep that team together. Nothing is guaranteed, we all know that. There is no guarantee the Jets will be worse or that we'll be better. We can only go by what we see and it obviously looks like the Pats are in better shape going forward.

We all know how close we almost came to absolute greatness only to lose it. Think about the times though we achieved greatness but could have easily lost it. JR Redmond was pretty much a bust in New England but critical in our 2001 Super Bowl run. What if we hadn't drafted him? How about Antwan Harris, who had a forced fumble in the Super Bowl and took the lateral from Troy Brown in the AFC Championship? What if we hadn't drafted Bethel Johnson and we don't get that kick return with no time left in the half against Indy? If they win that game and eventually host the AFC Championship, is the outcome still the same?

Seasons come down to plays. Just a few plays during the entire year decide if you are Super Bowl champs or going home early. I'm glad my team gives itself a shot to make those few plays EVERY year and doesn't risk it all for one really good shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: This is why I like the Patriot way

As fans, I know it's tough on us sometimes seeing how the Pats run things. We see a free agent out there we feel would be perfect for us sign with someone else. We see the player we covet in the draft sitting there on the board only to see the Pats trade down or into the next draft. We watch other teams make trades and wonder why our team is just sitting back and watching.

This past season showed us why. We went 14-2 and our set up very well for the future. We have money to spend and plenty of draft picks. There's absolutely no real reason for Pats fans not to feel we should have an improved team going into next season.

It has to be a lot tougher being a Jets fan right now. With the amount of free agents they have and money already spent, it's going to be very tough to keep that team together. Nothing is guaranteed, we all know that. There is no guarantee the Jets will be worse or that we'll be better. We can only go by what we see and it obviously looks like the Pats are in better shape going forward.

We all know how close we almost came to absolute greatness only to lose it. Think about the times though we achieved greatness but could have easily lost it. JR Redmond was pretty much a bust in New England but critical in our 2001 Super Bowl run. What if we hadn't drafted him? How about Antwan Harris, who had a forced fumble in the Super Bowl and took the lateral from Troy Brown in the AFC Championship? What if we hadn't drafted Bethel Johnson and we don't get that kick return with no time left in the half against Indy? If they win that game and eventually host the AFC Championship, is the outcome still the same?

Seasons come down to plays. Just a few plays during the entire year decide if you are Super Bowl champs or going home early. I'm glad my team gives itself a shot to make those few plays EVERY year and doesn't risk it all for one really good shot.

Well you have to admit,the Pats going crazy in the 2007 offseason looked a bunch like what the Jets did this year...it didn't work out for either of these teams even though the Pats broke all sorts of records and went undefeated until the SB...still both teams ended up losing thier last game.

Well you have to admit,the Pats going crazy in the 2007 offseason looked a bunch like what the Jets did this year...it didn't work out for either of these teams even though the Pats broke all sorts of records and went undefeated until the SB...still both teams ended up losing thier last game.
I dont know where you come up with the Pats "going crazy" in 2007.
They traded for Moss and Welker, neither or which were short term or terribly expensive moves. How do you equate the 2007 Pats to the 2010 Jets in terms of loading up for a one shot deal?
The Jets brought in a bunch of old players and short contract guys for a 'perfect storm'. The Patriots almost got the perfect season along the way of building a team for the long haul.
The only similarity is neither won the SB although the Pats were there and within 1 minute of winning it and the Jets failed before sniffing it.

I agree somewhat but I never felt that 2007 was our ONE shot. Going into this season, the Jets already had a lot of players in a contract year and gave up draft picks to get even more. It did look like an offseason in which they put all their eggs in one basket. Back in 2007 for us, it felt more like we were building the team but also pushing for a big season.

Actually, it was nothing like what the Jets did this year.

The Patriots signed arguably one risky player who had been a cancer in the past and whose work ethic had been questioned. The Jets got Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie, and Tomlinson, guys that all had huge falling outs with their teams and no one else wanted to touch.

The Patriots made some smart moves in '07. They got Moss and Welker without mortgaging their whole future and both of them under contract for about $5M combined. The only one-year deal they did was with Donte Stallworth, who they paid quite a bit. The Adalius Thomas deal was high-profile, but it wasn't a desperate decision; they thought he would be the future of the franchise. The Pats gave up a 2nd and 4th round pick for Moss and Welker. They positioned the team very well for the future, as well as in '07.

The Jets made a ton of short-sighted decisions. Where are they going to be next year, considering they brought in "win-now" veterans like Tomlinson, Taylor, and the guys mentioned above. Where are the young players being groomed to eventually replace these guys? In addition, the Jets, while not spending Redskins-style in free agency, failed to even secure any hometown discounts from guys like Revis and Mangold, who they locked up in fear that their "all-in" season would exclude one of their franchise players.

I dont know where you come up with the Pats "going crazy" in 2007.
They traded for Moss and Welker, neither or which were short term or terribly expensive moves. How do you equate the 2007 Pats to the 2010 Jets in terms of loading up for a one shot deal?
The Jets brought in a bunch of old players and short contract guys for a 'perfect storm'. The Patriots almost got the perfect season along the way of building a team for the long haul.
The only similarity is neither won the SB although the Pats were there and within 1 minute of winning it and the Jets failed before sniffing it.

The Pats were determined to win the SB or at least give it all they got with all those moves on that roster....since then we have not even come close to those moves..all of which were gambles of course,they all are.

Only Welker worked out for the team in the long run.

You failed to mention a guy named Adalius Thomas who was the top dog in FA that year and lets not forget Stallworth either.

Belichick was pissed at pissing away a 20 point halftime lead against the Colts and was determined to make sure the team was to be better on both sides...they sure were is an understatement but still came up 2 minutes short and a miracle catch of achieving the goal with all that movement.

Sometimes no major movements to your roster is the key..for the Steelers they rarily shop around in FA but always seem to win year in and year out while other years teams like the Saints go crazy in FA and win the SB...It all depends on a little luck along the way.

Last edited:

The Pats were determined to win the SB or at least give it all they got with all those moves on that roster....since then we have not even come close to those moves..all of which were gambles of course,they all are.

Only Welker worked out for the team in the long run.

You failed to mention a guy named Adalius Thomas who was the top dog in FA that year and lets not forget Stallworth either.
I dont see how that season was anything out of the ordinary with the exception of having more cap room than in other seasons.
The Pats are determined to win the SB every year, you are confusing success with effort.
Moss worked out for 3 years, that IS long term given his age and position.

I dont know how it even resembles trading for guys with one year left on their contract, and signing aging FAs.

I dont see how that season was anything out of the ordinary with the exception of having more cap room than in other seasons.
The Pats are determined to win the SB every year, you are confusing success with effort.
Moss worked out for 3 years, that IS long term given his age and position.

I dont know how it even resembles trading for guys with one year left on their contract, and signing aging FAs.

It seems the wrong way to do things is what Washington does nearly every year and what the Jets did this year.

The only time going crazy in FA seemed to work out to its goal was the 09 Saints...other than that all teams with wild offseason FA deals have failed to achieve what they went out to do.

It seems the wrong way to do things is what Washington does nearly every year and what the Jets did this year.

The only time going crazy in FA seemed to work out to its goal was the 09 Saints...other than that all teams with wild offseason FA deals have failed to achieve what they went out to do.

The Patriots did not go crazy in 2007. Adalius Thomas didn't work out in the long run, but he did play pretty well for a couple years. Every team makes some mistakes in the draft and in free agency. Welker and Moss were products of draft picks, and they both worked out in the long haul.

45+ TDs, 3500+ yds, and 200+ receptions for three years is awesome production, and isn't matched by many players in the league. Randy Moss was not a failure.

2007 was one miracle catch away from being the greatest team achievement in football history. The season was very very disappointing, but amounting it as a failure is ludicrous. The Giants were extremely fortunate. I don't want to talk anymore about 2007...

Last edited:

Actually, it was nothing like what the Jets did this year.

The Patriots signed arguably one risky player who had been a cancer in the past and whose work ethic had been questioned. The Jets got Edwards, Holmes, Cromartie, and Tomlinson, guys that all had huge falling outs with their teams and no one else wanted to touch.

The Patriots made some smart moves in '07. They got Moss and Welker without mortgaging their whole future and both of them under contract for about $5M combined. The only one-year deal they did was with Donte Stallworth, who they paid quite a bit. The Adalius Thomas deal was high-profile, but it wasn't a desperate decision; they thought he would be the future of the franchise. The Pats gave up a 2nd and 4th round pick for Moss and Welker. They positioned the team very well for the future, as well as in '07.

The Jets made a ton of short-sighted decisions. Where are they going to be next year, considering they brought in "win-now" veterans like Tomlinson, Taylor, and the guys mentioned above. Where are the young players being groomed to eventually replace these guys? In addition, the Jets, while not spending Redskins-style in free agency, failed to even secure any hometown discounts from guys like Revis and Mangold, who they locked up in fear that their "all-in" season would exclude one of their franchise players.

Not to nitpick, but I believe the Stallworth deal was relatively cheap for the first year, but had a $6M roster bonus if he was on the team when free agency started in 08.

The Saints didn't go crazy in free agency last year. They signed CB Jabari Greer, FB Heath Evans, DE Paul Spicer, C Nick Leckey, TE Darnell Dinkins, S Darren Sharper, S Pierson Prioleau, DT Roderick Coleman and LB Anthony Waters. Sharper was the biggest name on that list and he wasn't exactly a sure thing at the time. Signing 9 free agents, none of them being what I would call "flashy," doesn't define going crazy in free ageny IMO.

Well, I would agree with that, altough I don't know where you got the idea that Saints were built on a FA frenzy, but again, thats not what the Pats did in 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back