Welcome to PatsFans.com

This is what happens when you privatize healthcare. China, a case study.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Phokus, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Article: Analysis: Chinese healthcare gap widens. | AccessMyLibrary - Promoting library advocacy

Going from 90% coverage to 4.8% coverage for the rural poor and bankrupting them in the process, absolutely ridiculous.

Because of the failures of the market based system, China is looking forward to going back to a universal healthcare model that they used to have.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

3. Phokus

Phokus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah but the US has never had universal healthcare. I think China is a great example because they went from universal healthcare to private healthcare and now they're looking to get back to a universal heatlhcare model.

I think the contrast in how effective each model when they transitioned is a great way to hammer in the heads of idiot republicans what a bad idea privatized healthcare is.
  4. State

State Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

#70 Jersey

God, you're stupid. China has extremes of wealth that are Brobdingnagian. Their private health care is surprisingly good if one has the money. One actually pays out of pocket and can have access to technology like MRIs.

If one is a serf at the fields--with little or no disposable income and living like your ancestors 800 years ago--it sucks being you.

Health care is not a right, it's a commodity like food, clothing, and shelter.
  5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Taiwan didn't have universal care....so they looked to other models and used what worked best. Thats really how we need to look at this problem.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Does Healthcare fall under the category of the nation's general welfare, like defense?

Is the electricity thats cabled into your home a 'right'? is the water? or are those things part of the 'commons'?

Is capitalism a right?

If so....Is that right MORE or less important that the general welfare of americans, or the defense there of?

You DO understand that the general welfare of all americans is in the constitution....RIGHT?

shhhhhhhhh......

The Constitution of the United States of America
    We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
  7. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'll ignore some of the inflammatory remarks you made and focus on the meat. So what you're saying is that the private plan is the best option for those that can afford it, while a safety net is needed for those living in poverty? This sounds familiar, no? I think what Phokus is missing is that private health insurance works extremely well for things like access to care and quality of care. Seems to me like the best plans, and the ones that have been some of the most successful worldwide, are those in which private companies provide health insurance with the government acting as a regulator to ensure fairness in coverage etc, provide a watchful eye to keep private companies in check. Seems like countries that have gone to a purely universal, government run system experience problems with access and quality of care, or they operate on a scale so different from what is needed in the US it becomes untenable. That doesn't fit with his view of the "idiot republicans" that point out these problems.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 1 / -9

Why are so many Americans AGAINST Obamacare......:confused:
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

so many = 30% ?

last time I checked, 70% is a greater percentage than 30%

I might have to check with my old Logic professor on that....I'll get back to you Harry...
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +370 / 1 / -9

ok............
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Interesting article. While it's difficult to draw precise parallels given that China has many differences from us, the fact is that universal health care seems to work is less costly and more efficient that a strictly market driven system. If we implemented single payer, which are not about to do, it would probably save each and every American a few thousand dollars a year. Our sytem is grossly inefficent, terribly expensive, and leaves many people with coverage. Thanks for posting that article.
  12. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think probably the best answer lies somewhere between single payer and 100% private. On one hand you have excessive cost and unfair treatment of the insured with a private plan, but on the other you have problems with access to care and the possibility of both overuse of care and rationing with a single payer system.
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +320 / 4 / -2

Yeah, healthcare in China, provided by the gubmit. Anyone want to guess what that's like? I suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure hope we do that here sometime soon.

What everyone seems to ignore in this debate, is the actual cost of care. People are too focused on insurance prices, gubmit subsidized policies, or outright gubmit run HC. None of that does anything to thwart, or control, the rising cost of the actual care itself. It doesn't matter who pays for it, if the costs are going to go up, and up, and up again.
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

If cost is going up so much, how come healthcare providers have enjoyed a profit percentage at over 400%???

so the cost goes up....

The care goes down...

the middle man is making a 400% profit?

R-dubbs, I know you can see whats wrong here.

come on.
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -23

The only places it has gone down is lazik(sp) surgery and plastic surgery, neither of which are covered by insurance.. interesting this insurance business.
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Darryl,

Maybe if we gather up some donations to these healthcare insurers, it will assist in bringing these profits up. Hopefully it will create a 500% profit margin for these people. It just seems to me that at the end of the day, if I have a spare buck or two, it should be my duty to assist in paying up this profit for the insurers.

If we each gave something like a dollar a day (The price of a cup of coffeee) we can help save the membership to a 3rd country club for these executives.

think about that....the price of a cup of coffe, to change the life FOREVER for one of these executives.

Each month we will send you a picture of YOUR executive to show you his progress and how your donations are making his G4 more comfortable by adding gold fixtures to the bathroom, or funneling his inflated salary to an offshore account.

Please...

Help these executives reach their goal of over a 500% profit margin before this decade is out...

http://ifawebnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Ed-Hanway.jpg

he needs you...
  17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +199 / 7 / -23

Where can I contribute, and can they take it out of my checking account.. in case I forget..
  18. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This may point to the idea that competition drives prices down, and that in the healthcare industry the most effective way to increase competition would be to have consumers make their own medical decisions rather than their insurer or the government. You could get there by making health insurance mandatory but only for catastrophic events, with regular care covered by tax free accounts, or by gov't checks for those below an income threshold. Spend what you need, pay tax on the leftovers and keep the rest, and use your catastrophic policy to pay for anything over the limit (with gov't regulations on conditions that need to be covered by any policy). Then you'd have people seeking out the doctor that gives them the best care at the best price rather than just going to whoever is on the insurer's list regardless of cost.

The risk here is obvious, just as with going to a single payer plan: it would represent a major shift in how the industry is run, and have the potential to backfire. I don't like the idea of capping profits for insurers, it just seems unamerican to me, but maybe you achieve the same effect through regulation of what a policy has to include, stopping the withdrawal of benefits from the sick for bogus reasons, refusal to insure, etc.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I love it....I want wings and a bionic exoskelliton.
  20. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't raise Taiwan's system as any sort of model. That island has the highest rate of lawsuits per doctor, in the entire world.