PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is the Worst Loss I've Ever Experienced as a Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I had a horrible nightmare. I dreamt that I slept through 53 minutes of the superbowl only to catch the last 7 minutes. The pats were down by 12, but got a safety to cut the lead to 10. They ended up losing, and I was pounded the ground screaming. I woke up and just thought about how unbearable that was.

Last night's nightmare was 100x worse. I was screaming after every play. When the clock hit zero, I had no energy left. I just sat there, staring off. I didn't even speak for an hour.

This is bad, but nothing comparable to Aaron Boone. It's not like we had some dry spell for 86 years and then our coach/manager blew the game with a bonehead decision. It's tough to put in perspective right now, but I think that if you are a Sox fan, 1986 and 2003 are both worse than this loss. This one may have trumped those if the Pats had never won a Super Bowl. Lets not forget that the Rams fans felt like this in 2001.

The thing that sucks is that I just got my new Jacket and it is my first New England jacket (not that cold out here in California, but suddenly it is?) After the Patriots got eliminated by the Broncs and the Colts I held off wearing my jerseys and t shirts for a while, but I just got this jacket and it is the warmest one I got, my question is: How long should I wait to wear my jacket? I dont want to wear it this week becuase there are way too many people talking smack to me and the Pats already.

I lost my voice from screaming so loud. My eyes hurt from crying too much. God I hate the Giants.

This is bad, but nothing comparable to Aaron Boone. It's not like we had some dry spell for 86 years and then our coach/manager blew the game with a bonehead decision. It's tough to put in perspective right now, but I think that if you are a Sox fan, 1986 and 2003 are both worse than this loss. This one may have trumped those if the Pats had never won a Super Bowl. Lets not forget that the Rams fans felt like this in 2001.

yeah but the fact that the pats are hated by a vast majority of the country who got their fairytale ending makes it that much harder to bear, on top of the fact that we were one defensive stop from doing something that is close to impossible.

I was sick all day, didn't sleep last night just staring at the ceiling replaying the game in my head, play-by-excruciating play. I have avoided ESPN, NESN and as much news as I can. However, and maybe it comes with age (47 y/o), it doesn't sting as much as 2 other events that just crippled me.

1.) Being packed in my college dorm room in Worcester with 1/2 Sox fans and 1/2 Yanks fans to suffer through the '78 playoff game loss. It was the worst sports day of my life.

2.) For those of you old enough to remember when the Bruins were relevant, losing Game 7 of the Stanley Cup semis to the Canadians in 1979 due to the "too-many-men-on-the ice penalty" in OT was absolutely devastating.

The good thing about these 2 disasters was it battle-hardened me for the 1986 WS.

In both instances I swore I'd never ever get so passionate about sports again. Here, 30 years later, I have obviously not learned my lesson. And you know what...I'm damn glad I didn't.

Go Pats in 08-09!

I felt the exact same way... to a "T."

I felt like I wasted way too much time on something that didn't really even matter that much.

I still feel this way.

I have learned a very valuable lesson though.

I will concentrate much more on stuff that I CAN control.

Last night was actually a very good lesson.

I will still be a fan, but, not nearly as much as I once was.[/QUOTE
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You (and reflexblue) are "dead on" on this one. If anything, this brutal and gut wrenching LOSS has taught me that I will NEVER invest this much time, energy, and heart and soul in any team again. I think so often many of us as die hard fans, take time, energy, and focus that should be reserved for our work, loved ones, home affairs etc and pour everything into our "MAD"/crazed support of our team. ....and.....I have probably taken years off my ticker from all the stress and anxiety in preparation and in watching/living through all of these games.....and when we won those incredible games and championships it seemed like it was all worth it.....But is it really?

I have decided to get my priorities straight after this "punch in the gut" (or nuts if you want to say that....because that is what it felt like between all the air going out of my lungs as I watched Hobbs bumble and stumble on the final knife in the heart........Next year will be different.....I am going to try to be more of a casual fan like my brother and friends.......watch the game but if things go sour.....go take my daughters out to the park or do something fun.........I've wasted way to much energy/heart/soul on this team.....time to make some changes......

good post

Last edited:
This is the worst ever for me by far. Someone wins a championship every year, its great to do but its not unique.

But NO ONE has ever gone 19-0. We had it right there in front of us and now it is gone and the chances of ever seeing it again are slim. We had a chance to do something that would ensure immortality for this team and now its gone. And now we have to go through another offseason, training camp, preseason, regular season and postseason to even have a chance to make up for it.

Even if we come out guns blazing the first 8 games next year and blow everyone out, no one will care, no one will be impressed because we didn't win the big one when it mattered. After every game next year no matter how great we look people will say "yeah, but".

This just royally sucks. My life will go on but as a fan of history I am crushed. We were so close. And we will probably win the Super Bowl next year and we will all be happy but it won't be the same. It won't be perfect.

Well maybe it will, but its a longshot.
I agree with this. We had the chance to do something that has never been done (sorry, Mercury) and probably will never be done, and we were OH SO CLOSE. We had our chance at immortality and it slipped through our fingers as literally as the ball slipped through Samuel's and Meriweather's fingers on the Giants game-winning drive. We will never get this opportunity again.

Last night after the game I was just kind of numb - I was too numb to feel any pain. I was up most of the night - I just couldn't get the game and the season out of my mind. Now it is starting to sink in how a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity was missed. Let the pain begin.

I was sick all day, didn't sleep last night just staring at the ceiling replaying the game in my head, play-by-excruciating play. I have avoided ESPN, NESN and as much news as I can. However, and maybe it comes with age (47 y/o), it doesn't sting as much as 2 other events that just crippled me.

1.) Being packed in my college dorm room in Worcester with 1/2 Sox fans and 1/2 Yanks fans to suffer through the '78 playoff game loss. It was the worst sports day of my life.

2.) For those of you old enough to remember when the Bruins were relevant, losing Game 7 of the Stanley Cup semis to the Canadians in 1979 due to the "too-many-men-on-the ice penalty" in OT was absolutely devastating.

The good thing about these 2 disasters was it battle-hardened me for the 1986 WS.

In both instances I swore I'd never ever get so passionate about sports again. Here, 30 years later, I have obviously not learned my lesson. And you know what...I'm damn glad I didn't.

Go Pats in 08-09!

You are right....STAY AWAY FROM ESPN....NESN.....and any other fugging sports channels for the next MONTH!!!....I was watching New England Sports Tonight and figured I could commiserate with Tanguay/****erson....but all they did is keep showing the last drive over and over and over.....and I almost started balling watching Thomas, then Warren/Green was it? Grabbing onto Gomer's jersey and if only one of them could have f"ing pulled that goofy bastid down......we would be champs....then several more chances for INT's that went through the hands of Samuel....Harrison.........ugggh......Then the worst......like someone said....SAME FU(king play as in week 16.....Get Burress one on one against Hobbs..(as a matter of fact Gil called the play before it happened I noticed....He said....Looks like they are trying to work Burress against Hobbs alot on this drive).......And I find myself screaming at the TV.....Come on Belichick.....can't you see what they are doing??? Don't let Hobbs go one on one with Plastico!!!!!! And then it is over.........and the pain sets in all over again.....So fu(king close...............ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Don't turn on any sports channels....no sports radio......no sports publications for at least a month........

I agree with this. We had the chance to do something that has never been done (sorry, Mercury) and probably will never be done, and we were OH SO CLOSE. We had our chance at immortality and it slipped through our fingers as literally as the ball slipped through Samuel's and Meriweather's fingers on the Giants game-winning drive. We will never get this opportunity again.

Last night after the game I was just kind of numb - I was too numb to feel any pain. I was up most of the night - I just couldn't get the game and the season out of my mind. Now it is starting to sink in how a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity was missed. Let the pain begin.

You are right....not trying to be a doubter here...but in my opinion....We will NEVER have this OPPORTUNITY again....Nor will any other team....it was there shot at immortality....and they blew it.......what a shame

I lost my voice from screaming so loud. My eyes hurt from crying too much. God I hate the Giants.

Last night was a great night for me. But I do feel your pain. It sucks when this happens. I remember when the Giants lost to the Ravens it hurt.

Last edited:
I felt the exact same way... to a "T."

I felt like I wasted way too much time on something that didn't really even matter that much.

I still feel this way.

I have learned a very valuable lesson though.

I will concentrate much more on stuff that I CAN control.

Last night was actually a very good lesson.

I will still be a fan, but, not nearly as much as I once was.[/QUOTE
--
Ditto for me. My girlfriend was looking at me like I was nuts today when I told her how upset I was. She was like "wait, over something that you can't control? about people you don't even know? about a GAME?"

It made me realize that I need to really pull back next year and focus on the important things in life. Of course, I say that now, but next year I'm sure I'll be just as into it, but I'm going to try to be a "casual fan" if that is even possible for me. In my 29 years, it has not been possible so far!

A day later and I still feel awful. It's going to take a long time to get over this. They were so close. For some reason I watched the last three drives today... when Moss scored, I thought they had it. There a handful of plays on the Giants game-winning drive that usually go the Patriots way (Samuel and Meriweather just missing INTs, Tyree somehow catching that pass/holding on to it, and the sack that Manning somehow got away from), not to mention a couple of third down situations that were converted.

I felt this exact same way after the Oilers lost in the Stanley Cup Final two years ago. How close they were to winning and how close the Pats were last night hurts a lot.

Keep your heads up, fellow Pats fans. This team will be back soon enough. :rocker:

Go Pats in 08-09!

Nicely said. I was thinking about the 78 game too, as I was there and was a big hockey fan then too (just turned 48)

I have to add 86 though. Talk about getting your heart ripped out. Nothing felt as bad as that did.

I think comparing events like 86 and yesterday are difficult to make, as the circumstances are entirely different. The Sox were trying to erase many years of failure. The Patriots were trying to make history and failed to pull it off.

Just to provide a little perspective on life and this game. All through last night's game, I was somewhat distracted, as I was awaiting the results of an MRI because of some symptoms that suggested I may have had a malignancy. After the loss, I thought to myself, well this could really be a banner 24 hours, as I knew I was going to find out one way or another whether I was in trouble at 930 this morning.

My wife and I both saw my doctor this morning, and thank God, everything turned out OK and I'm going to need just routine treatment for a non-threatening condition. Obviously, the relief we both felt when we got this news was over the top. After I got home and had a chance for the good news to settle in, I realized that there are things far more important than this crushing loss we all felt last night.

Keep things in perspective and remember this season for what it was. An amazing experience with the highest of highs and lowest of lows. That's what being a fan is all about. :)

Nicely said. I was thinking about the 78 game too, as I was there and was a big hockey fan then too (just turned 48)

I have to add 86 though. Talk about getting your heart ripped out. Nothing felt as bad as that did.

I think comparing events like 86 and yesterday are difficult to make, as the circumstances are entirely different. The Sox were trying to erase many years of failure. The Patriots were trying to make history and failed to pull it off.

Just to provide a little perspective on life and this game. All through last night's game, I was somewhat distracted, as I was awaiting the results of an MRI because of some symptoms that suggested I may have had a malignancy. After the loss, I thought to myself, well this could really be a banner 24 hours, as I knew I was going to find out one way or another whether I was in trouble at 930 this morning.

My wife and I both saw my doctor this morning, and thank God, everything turned out OK and I'm going to need just routine treatment for a non-threatening condition. Obviously, the relief we both felt when we got this news was over the top. After I got home and had a chance for the good news to settle in, I realized that there are things far more important than this crushing loss we all felt last night.

Keep things in perspective and remember this season for what it was. An amazing experience with the highest of highs and lowest of lows. That's what being a fan is all about. :)

I'm so happy to hear you're OK!!:)

I keep thinking yesterday's game was a regular season loss and there will be a game next week. For some reason I keep forgetting it was the SB, thats it.

I think I am in denial :D

I just can't believe we blew it. I actually can't believe it. It hasn't sunk in yet that we lost the SB and that is that. We aren't the Champs, we aren't Perfect, etc. All because of 1 drive. Its terrible.

Last edited:
When we got the ball back with 35 seconds left I was really confident. And when Brady threw the last incomplete pass to Moss, I still thought we had a shot, for some strange reason, I had forgotten the sack and that it was 4th down. I couldn't see this one ending.

What hurts is the fact that we came SOO close to winning that game. Heck, had Brady gotten 5 more yards on that second bomb to Moss on the last drive, Moss probably would have caught it. He had about 2 steps on the D before he had to slow down to let the ball come to him.

Oh well, we lost, and there's always next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes