PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is Patriots' Super Bowl to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know if the points spread is out yet but i would not be surprised to see the Giants favored by 5 1/2 points or so..Which is how i want it..I much rather be the underdog in this match...

We're playing with house money as far as I'm concerned. I didn't think we'd get this far and frankly did not want to play the Giants but now that its here I'm ok with it and just happy we get to see another Superbowl. This is not like 07, we don't have all the pressure in the world to win this game and we aren't thought of as the better team by a wide margin. This game can go either way, while it's true that they didnt have Nicks or Bradshaw last time we were -2 in turnovers at the height of our offensive slump and put up 438 yards of offense. Think about that for a second. What it tells me is that if we just don't turn the damn ball over we can win this game. I look at these 2 teams and they're evenly matched. We both have 3 receiving options although I'd argue our 3rd is superior to theirs. We both have complementary, not great, running games. We both have great QBs. We both have questionable secondaries. And most importantly we BOTH have defensive lines that have come around, both of us. We will pressure Eli in this game, no doubt in my mind. While our line isn't as good as theirs on paper, they've really come around and I trust our offensive line to play well. We got smoked in Superbowl 42 largely because Neal and Faulk went down, don't have to worry about that here so if Mankins just doesn't suck this game we'll have the protection.

Just frigging win it. Whether it's for revenge, pride, status, or for Myra just win it and if we should fail I'm still proud of this team because they've exceeded my expectations and it's been a great ride.

The giants have a "great" defense. GREAT? Several more now are also saying the Patriots have to play "perfect" to win. Is this born from emotional scarring the 07 game or elevated blood alcohol levels left over from yesterday?

Let me spare you the suspense, if you all are correct and the bar for a Patriots is set at having to play "prefect", you might as well get your post SB defeat posts prepared. Perfect is not needed fortunately.

As to anointing the Giants defense as great? Have you been watching the 2011 football season?

This is far less dramatic than it is being made out to be (and was summed up well by another poster): "Brady plays great + Defense makes stops when it has to + OL protects Brady= Win ". What, Brady playing great is a long shot and our no huddle is just too weak against a "great" defense? What, the OL playing well is going to be so unlike their play otherwise? The one that is of concern is the defense. However, the defense is hitting it's stride. Mayo, Spike and Ninko at LB are as good as we have been at that position all year. Moore, Arrington at corner and McCourty and Chung at safety is as good as we have been in the secondary. The DL is playing solidly anchored by Wilfork. Will that stride be enough? That's an unknown but a performance like today will be sufficient to give us a tangible shot!

Giants beat the Pats fair and square earlier this season and have improved a lot since then. The Giants really should be favored.

This is very true.

What truly sucks is when we lose to them, its always last minute losses. Games that we could easily win. This time we have to get to an early start and not let it come down to Eli having the ball with 1:30 left and 2 timeouts down by 4.

Thats all.

This is very true.

What truly sucks is when we lose to them, its always last minute losses. Games that we could easily win. This time we have to get to an early start and not let it come down to Eli having the ball with 1:30 left and 2 timeouts down by 4.

Thats all.

I wont be comfortable unless we have a 2 score lead in the 4th. Even then I'll be extremely nervous. That lucky prick has come back too many times.

We're playing with house money as far as I'm concerned. I didn't think we'd get this far and frankly did not want to play the Giants but now that its here I'm ok with it and just happy we get to see another Superbowl. This is not like 07, we don't have all the pressure in the world to win this game and we aren't thought of as the better team by a wide margin. This game can go either way, while it's true that they didnt have Nicks or Bradshaw last time we were -2 in turnovers at the height of our offensive slump and put up 438 yards of offense. Think about that for a second. What it tells me is that if we just don't turn the damn ball over we can win this game. I look at these 2 teams and they're evenly matched. We both have 3 receiving options although I'd argue our 3rd is superior to theirs. We both have complementary, not great, running games. We both have great QBs. We both have questionable secondaries. And most importantly we BOTH have defensive lines that have come around, both of us. We will pressure Eli in this game, no doubt in my mind. While our line isn't as good as theirs on paper, they've really come around and I trust our offensive line to play well. We got smoked in Superbowl 42 largely because Neal and Faulk went down, don't have to worry about that here so if Mankins just doesn't suck this game we'll have the protection.

Just frigging win it. Whether it's for revenge, pride, status, or for Myra just win it and if we should fail I'm still proud of this team because they've exceeded my expectations and it's been a great ride.

Good points above - the teams really do mirror each other in significant ways.

Clearly, Brady is better than Eli, but Eli has taken a step since their last SB meeting. Still, the Giants then were D first, and now, they are much more of an offensive team, with their weaknesses being more on D.

This SB is going to be all about QB play. Eli does have the magic fairy dust thing going, but TB will likely play this one lights out, imo. Unlike the last one, I think this will be a high-scoring, whoever has the ball last kind of game...

I don't want to take anything away from the Giants win, because it was a great win and they have an awesome QB, but I have to point this out.

Not only do the Patriots have them beat on all 3 phases, and yes that means defense, but this is the MOST overrated team I have seen going into the Super Bowl. Not so much their offense, but their defense.

I understand they played a lot of tough teams and in a tough division but not only did I watch:

- Atlanta completely self implode and score only 3 points
- the Giants beat Green Bay on a day when Aaron Rodgers played his worst game of the season but today:

-two SF 49ers defensive players collided with each other TWICE on surefire interceptions.
-another one that got stripped out, which was questionably disallowed due to forward progress
-the ball touched the SF's returner's knee and gave them a free score
-the final score was the same punter fumbling the ball.

They're about to face a defense who outplayed the Ravens D and won with a -2 turnover margin on a day when their quarterback posted a 59.0 QB rating and the opponent's QB played one of his best games of his career.

What am I saying? Giants D is overrated and their opponents seriously beat themselves. And while that doesn't matter, especially in the super bowl because a win is a win, one thing I am certain of is...

The Patriots still have the #2 special teams defense in the league. And yes, as you saw today, they make you or break you.

Now you might say it was the Giants D that caused all of these things to happen, but I disagree. Their execution was no different than the rest of the season. Their opponents' execution was terrible in the playoffs. Again, I don't really wanna take anything away from their wins, but I feel much more confident about the Patriots than Giants.

Turnovers. Turnovers. Turnovers.

And yeah, you just can't put that on any defense. The Pats D can handle it, but this team can't against the Giants offense. Having said that if the Patriots gets back to proper execution in two weeks, I don't really see a problem. That D is not that good. Trust me. Pats D's better.

Giants 37, Pats 17, this team is lucky, not good. About the only games I have seen them play worse than yesterday was SB42 and the previous two playoff games (not this years game). The Pats are going to get their arses handed to them unfortunately. If you are a betting man you should jump on the current line.

Last edited:
I don't want to take anything away from the Giants win, because it was a great win and they have an awesome QB, but I have to point this out.

Turnovers. Turnovers. Turnovers.

And yeah, you just can't put that on any defense. The Pats D can handle it, but this team can't against the Giants offense. Having said that if the Patriots gets back to proper execution in two weeks, I don't really see a problem. That D is not that good. Trust me. Pats D's better.

Wouldn't turnovers actually be an argument in favor of the Giants. After all, the Patriots just played two playoff games at home and lost the turnover battle in each one.

Giants are getting a lot of breaks. Their 5 game winning streak:

Jets - terrible team

Cowboys - beat Tony Romo who injured himself the weak before against the Eagles

Atlanta - Matt Ryan overrated and is not a playoff QB

GB - Aaron Rodgers has his worst day of the season and Packers receivers dropping the ball left and right along with terrible play calling.

SF - gift wrapped win

It will be tough, but we simply have to play a perfect game to win this one.

Not sure why we have to discredit the opponents of the Giants. I mean, let's face it, if we faced their path to the Super Bowl, we probably wouldn't be in it.

When the Panthers were about to play the Patriots in Super Bowl 38, I doubt their fans were saying...."Don't worry about the Pats D, Peyton Manning played his worst game of the season."

The Patriots had the best offensive and team efficiency rating in 2010. Green Bay had the best offensive and team efficiency rating this year. Neither team won a playoff game.

The Patriots defensive efficiency this year was 30th. But no way is their defense that bad - repetition, study and a lot more one gap has made it much better than, say, week 3.

Using efficiency statistics as one of many tools is intelligent. Using it as the gospel is folly.

The past is not always prologue and the recent past is probably more reliable than the distant past. If you used the efficiency statistics from the Giants last two regular season games and the three playoff games - factoring in strength of opponent - their efficiency ratings should tell a very different story. Injuries and a much tougher nondivisional schedule (they played GB, NO and SF during the regular season) played a large role in the Giants 9-7 record.

I felt comfortable that we would beat the Ravens at home. And trust me I was never comfortable during the game. I'm more concerned against the Giants.

But, this is a very different week and the Giants offense gives me concerns, it's only 1 more game left to win. I'd like to see how Gronk progresses as we'll need him to pull off the victory.

We're playing in a dome, so I like that for our team (even against Victor Cruz and his speed). I think our running game will play a solid part as well, but we'll ride the offense on Brady.

People keep saying how the Giants finished the season strong. Didn't the Patriots finish strong as well? Isn't our defense getting solid pressure as well and stepping up?

Last edited:
Just food for thought... The Giants-Patriots Super Bowl is the 13th Super Bowl to feature two teams that met during the regular season. The team that lost the regular-season meeting has won seven of the previous 12 matchups. The last matchup was Super Bowl XLII between the Patriots and Giants(Pats won regular season; Giants won the Super Bowl) This year losing the regular season game is probably the best thing for a superbowl win...

After last night i am convinced that some devine intervention wants the Patriots to win..

I wont be comfortable unless we have a 2 score lead in the 4th. Even then I'll be extremely nervous. That lucky prick has come back too many times.

What score? 20-10 with 15:00 to go? I don't think so.

I will NEVER be comfortable in the 4th qtr unless is 35-10 with 2:00 to go.

Wouldn't turnovers actually be an argument in favor of the Giants. After all, the Patriots just played two playoff games at home and lost the turnover battle in each one.

If the Patriots commit them? Absolutely. That's my point. That's what it comes down to most of the times and that's what it came down to in the first game. They were -2.

But, it's good to know you have the type of team that can win playoff games with a -2 turnover margin. Nobody else did that this year. That is a reason to be very confident.

Teams who had a negative turnover margin are 0-8 in the playoffs this year except the Patriots. They are the only ones.
The more efficient offenses are 10-0, including the Patriots.
The Patriots are STILL efficient even with a negative turnover margin and that was against an offense that played much better than the 49ers did yesterday.

And the Pats still have a higher turnover margin per game. The Giants defense didn't force those turnovers in order to have any kind of logical reason to expect it to happen again.

The interceptions had less of an effect than a 3 and out followed by a great punt. Very little to none. If it was the 49ers defense along with their efficient offense, the Patriots would be underdogs. But the Giants didn't force most of their turnovers. Most of them came as a result of a screw up on the part of the other offense. There is a huge difference between a defense that forces takeaways and one that recovers giveaways.

Isn't it amazing that so many fans are smitten with fear and have no logical arguments to back up anything they are saying? We're going to lose because of a Super Bowl that took place 4 years ago? Or because of a game that took place 2 months ago?

First it was Tebow and God, then Ravens and "the curse" and now it's the Giants and the "the curse". I'm not saying the Giants are not a good team, but there should be no reason to act like a bunch of scared babies. The Pats are the better team and the odds are in their favor. Regardless of anything that took place in the past. They are the better team. By far. So were the 49ers and GB.

And that goes for them too. Just because they have upset 2 better teams, there's absolutely no reason to expect them to keep doing it, if they are not showing they can be efficient, which is what it ultimately comes down to. And yesterday they showed they can't do it consistently.

But what the Patriots did yesterday, and in these playoffs winning, despite a negative turnover margin speaks volumes about this team. Only 2 other teams have pulled this off in a Championship game....ever.

This is fan fairy tales, not sound sense. The Giants may have improved, but so have the Patriots, all season long. When you are the type of team that doesn't live and die by the turnover margin, which just about every other NFL team does, you're in a league of your own. You have almost an unfair advantage.

Last edited:
The Patriots had the best offensive and team efficiency rating in 2010. Green Bay had the best offensive and team efficiency rating this year. Neither team won a playoff game.

The Patriots defensive efficiency this year was 30th. But no way is their defense that bad - repetition, study and a lot more one gap has made it much better than, say, week 3.

Using efficiency statistics as one of many tools is intelligent. Using it as the gospel is folly.

The past is not always prologue and the recent past is probably more reliable than the distant past. If you used the efficiency statistics from the Giants last two regular season games and the three playoff games - factoring in strength of opponent - their efficiency ratings should tell a very different story. Injuries and a much tougher nondivisional schedule (they played GB, NO and SF during the regular season) played a large role in the Giants 9-7 record.

You have your numbers wrong. the Patriots had the #2 most efficient defense in the NFL this year. Not 30th. They were 30th or somewhere around there in freaking yards. That's what made them efficient in the first place. Giving up a lot of yads and no points. That's what you have to do to be efficient.

And the other part is they were not the more efficient offense on that day which is what matters most.

Again anything can happen on any given Sunday, but you do NOT go against solid, proven execution just because it happens on every given sunday. There's nothing anything or anyone can do about that part. The Giants certainly can't either.

Can the Patriots be the less efficient team in the Super Bowl? Yes.
But can the Giants also? Of course.

Who has the greater chance of being efficient? Patriots
Who has the greater chance of being inefficient? Giants.

They were inefficient yesterday, one game away from it but they were more efficient than the other team. The Pats, even with a negative turnover margin were still efficient, not just compared to the other team, but on the overall efficiency scale.

If you can't be efficient with a +2 turnover margin, you have issues as football team. They will be exposed. There was only ONE team this year that had a winning record with an inefficient offense. Pittsburgh. They got exposed by Denver and Denver could have absolutely murdered them. They were ranked 27th in the league. The Giants' efficiency rating was low enough to be ranked 27th in the league.

So that's what you're going to see in the Super Bowl. If the Pats have 4 turnovers it will be a close loss by 3 points. If the Giants have 2 or even 1 and the Patriots don't they will be exposed and it won't be close. 10 points at least.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye