PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

this is one of the WORST super bowls

Status
Not open for further replies.
dhamz said:
One of the worst I can recall.

I'm not sure which QB played a more pathetic game. Pitt only won the game because they took the ball away from their QB after that INT. That the other guy is a starter in the Pro Bowl tells you everything you could ever need to know about the NFC.

How did Hasselback play poorly? His throws were mostly all spot on - the main thing he screwed up on was clock management at the end of each half (and yes, THAT was very poor). The biggest problem he had was his receivers not catching the ball, and some horrendous officiating.

That was definitely the WORST officiating ever in a SB, perhaps one of the worst officiated NFL games altogether. THere were AT LEAST 10 bad calls, and they ALL seemed to go against Seattle.

The phantom holding penalty on the long pass in the second half that would have set them up with first and goal from about 1 foot out, but instead gave them 2nd and 20 out at about the 30. That lead to an INT, and eventual Pitt TD - altogether that phantom holding penalty created a 14 point swing. And perhaps one of the worst calls was the personal foul they called on Hasselback when he tackled the guy who made the INT, calling him for a low block? Hello? It's perfectly fine to tackle a guy low. Sure, another Pitt guy stepped in and got touched slightly when Hasselback was going in for the tackle, but that happens all the time.

That was a horrendous call of offensive pass interference on Jackson in what should have been a Seattle TD in the first quarter, resulting in a 4 point swing in Pitt's favor. Then the Roethlesberger TD run, which clearly was no TD, and should have left them with 4th and goal, most likely going for a FG. Another 4 point swing in their favor.

Those three there alone created an 18 point swing in Pitt's favor, yet there were many, many more horrendous calls. Those above are ALL calls that the commentators during and after the game called bad calls.

And perhaps someone with an NFL rule book can clarify this - isn't a pylon considered in bounds? Such that if a receiver catches a ball, one foot touches in bounds, and the other hits the pylon, would that be a reception or no? My understanding is that the pylon is in bounds, such that touching it counts as that body part touching in bounds.

DaBruinz said:
This was a disgusting display by the officials. I can give them 1 or 2 bad calls. But, I lost count at how many calls and non-calls they blew.

Hasselback didn't block low. If he did, then so did Big Ben in the next series.

I counted 4 times that either Clark Haggans or Casey Hampton were lined up in the neutral zone.

The PI call on Jackson.

The NON-CALLS of PI on Pittsburgh (at least 3).

The blatant holding by the Steelers center that sprung Ben for his QB sneak.

The Referee over-ruling the side judge on the Big Ben TD.
Yup. The list goes on and on. There were also many phantom holding penalties called on Seattle, almost every one on what otherwise would have been a long play by Seattle (such as the long pass down to the 1, where they called the RT for a holding penalty that was absolutely horrendous - that was textbook blocking). I can understand the refs making a couple bad calls a game, but they also generally are split where some favor one team, some the other. In that game last night, there were at least a dozen or more horrendous calls (or non-calls), and they ALL benefitted Pittsburgh. Perhaps they were trying to make up for bad calls that favored Indy in the playoff game vs. Pitt, but that was ridiculous.

Part of the problem seems to be that the officials union got the NFL to change the rules on officials for the playoffs. It used to be that the best officials from the regular season ref'd the playoffs. But, since they get extra pay, the other officials (the bad ones) didn't like that, so they got the union to change the rules with the NFL, so ALL officials get a turn refing in the playoffs. And this is the result - throughout the playoffs there was horrendous officiating.

The NFL needs to change things quick - if games, especially playoff games, keep being decided by bad calls by the officials, people are going to quickly lose interest in watching.

It was a horrible Super Bowl, definitely the worse I have ever seen. Both teams tried to give the game away, and failed miserably. Pittsburgh won by default on essentially three plays. Otherwise they played horrible.

At least in most of the Super Bowl blowouts one team just outplayed the other, and it was enjoyable to watch them play well and kick ass. This game was so horrible because both teams layed an egg.

I do have to note I really thought Pittsburgh was going to lose when they came out and didn't open it up like they did against the Colts and Broncos (Cowher finally decided to show up and coach his team out of victory, or at least he tried. Little did I know, Holgram would completely out do him). Predictably they got no where until late in the second quarter. I don't remember a Super Bowl team winning when they lost the turnover ratio. The Seahawks completely blew a very winnable game, which shows just how bad a team they were.

As for the refs, blah, same old story. I still haven't forgiven them for the hose job the gave the Pats during the Broncos game. I don't think the NFL consciously ordered their refs to favor a certain team, but as I have said before, bad refs are swayed by the home crowd, and that crowd was overwhelmingly pro Steelers.

As my friends father said REAPEATEDLY last night,

This game was a black eye for the NFL and one of the worst of all time..

We'll see how the ratings turnout to show if the fans agree or not..

Super Blah!

I am so disappointed right now. I always look forward to the SB. This year it was a little harder to get up for it because of the way the Pats lost, but after 2-weeks I was as "pumped and jacked" as I could be.

No house parties to attend close by so the GF and I hit one of the bars downtown. The place was full of Steelers fans!? Only 2 Seahawk fans and 35 or so Stealers fans. Very surprising since I have NEVER seen any Stealers garb here in Denver.

Had to leave right after the Ward TD. Couldn't deal with the celebration.

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one to think that this was one of the worst if not THE worst SB game played in recent memory. I have watched them all since XX as well.

worst venue, worst game, worst officiating

DaBruinz said:
This was a disgusting display by the officials. I can give them 1 or 2 bad calls. But, I lost count at how many calls and non-calls they blew.
Hasselback didn't block low. If he did, then so did Big Ben in the next series.
I counted 4 times that either Clark Haggans or Casey Hampton were lined up in the neutral zone.
The PI call on Jackson.
The NON-CALLS of PI on Pittsburgh (at least 3).
The blatant holding by the Steelers center that sprung Ben for his QB sneak.
The Referee over-ruling the side judge on the Big Ben TD.

IMO it wasjust bizarre. these are the highest-performing officials at their positions: back judge, line judge, head linesman, etc. you could say that they're supposed to be the best football officials on Planet Earth.
but they'd probably never worked together. who knows.
when they watch the playback of this game, these guys are gonna laugh at most of the twilight zone calls they made. the head of nfl officials and tagliabue will NOT be laughing. tagliabue's gonna have to send a letter of apoloogy to paul allen on this. FOR MESSING UP A SUPER BOWL. he'll have to hope that allen doesn't release it to the media.

Indeed, a very lame game. Everything about it pretty much was, well, lame.

statement from holmgren might break the bank

Bella*chick said:
I hope someone makes a story out of this. Seattle may have made alot of stupid mistakes and their receivers need to learn how to catch the ball but there was one bad call after another to overcome as well. Holmgren needs to say something, sore loser label be damned.
the "no fun league" has a policy about HCs saying ANYTHING about officiating in a game. i thik the fines maybe start at $50,000. after that it might be $10,000 a word, including "uh". i believe team presidents and even owners get fined too.
they can botch like crazy in writing. they'll probably get some kind of noncommittal aplogy from the nfl in april.

ilduce06410 said:
the "no fun league" has a policy about HCs saying ANYTHING about officiating in a game. i thik the fines maybe start at $50,000. after that it might be $10,000 a word, including "uh". i believe team presidents and even owners get fined too.
they can botch like crazy in writing. they'll probably get some kind of noncommittal aplogy from the nfl in april.

Wow. And I guess what happened with Joey Porter a few weeks ago illustrated that they would not do the same thing to players.
Well, since many people are talking about the awful officiating today, Holmgren can be silent and the point will still be made. I just feel so bad for the Seahawks...they didn't have a chance last night, even when the score was 0-0.

great points.........

big mike said:
How did Hasselback play poorly? His throws were mostly all spot on - the main thing he screwed up on was clock management at the end of each half (and yes, THAT was very poor). The biggest problem he had was his receivers not catching the ball, and some horrendous officiating.

That was definitely the WORST officiating ever in a SB, perhaps one of the worst officiated NFL games altogether. THere were AT LEAST 10 bad calls, and they ALL seemed to go against Seattle.

The phantom holding penalty on the long pass in the second half that would have set them up with first and goal from about 1 foot out, but instead gave them 2nd and 20 out at about the 30. That lead to an INT, and eventual Pitt TD - altogether that phantom holding penalty created a 14 point swing. And perhaps one of the worst calls was the personal foul they called on Hasselback when he tackled the guy who made the INT, calling him for a low block? Hello? It's perfectly fine to tackle a guy low. Sure, another Pitt guy stepped in and got touched slightly when Hasselback was going in for the tackle, but that happens all the time.

That was a horrendous call of offensive pass interference on Jackson in what should have been a Seattle TD in the first quarter, resulting in a 4 point swing in Pitt's favor. Then the Roethlesberger TD run, which clearly was no TD, and should have left them with 4th and goal, most likely going for a FG. Another 4 point swing in their favor.

Those three there alone created an 18 point swing in Pitt's favor, yet there were many, many more horrendous calls. Those above are ALL calls that the commentators during and after the game called bad calls.

And perhaps someone with an NFL rule book can clarify this - isn't a pylon considered in bounds? Such that if a receiver catches a ball, one foot touches in bounds, and the other hits the pylon, would that be a reception or no? My understanding is that the pylon is in bounds, such that touching it counts as that body part touching in bounds.

good points here.....good post

the play was awful, the coaching was awful, the calls were awful, but it all goes to show that an SB Championship goes to the one team (of the two teams that are still on their feet after a brutal season and post-season) that plays well enough to win that one game on that one Sunday

I agree with everyone here, poor in every way. Even the commercials were incredibly awful. Diet Pepsi commercials should be baned from all NFL games for all times.

Pats Fanatic said:
I agree with everyone here, poor in every way. Even the commercials were incredibly awful. Diet Pepsi commercials should be baned from all NFL games for all times.

You don't like 'brown and bubbly'? When I first heard that, I to stop eating for 1/2 hour. :eek: Pretty tough with all that good food around. Bring back Britney! Bad, bad, bad SB. Anyone else remember when the name super bowl was first used, some were calling it the stupid bowl? Since then, it really came a long way, but this one could set it back some. Actually, when next season rolls around, all will most likely be forgotten.

Fanfrom1960 said:
You don't like 'brown and bubbly'? When I first heard that, I to stop eating for 1/2 hour. :eek: Pretty tough with all that good food around. Bring back Britney!

Forget Britney! Bring back Diet Pepsi Machine & the Patriots!!

But yeah, Super Bowl 40 sucked the big one

I have seen every Super Bowl, and this was by far the most disappointing. There was no "excellence" on the field; I don't see how Pittsburgh can be too thrilled with that performance despite winning. It was like a bad early season Monday night game. And the league definitely needs to make the refs full-time PROFESSIONAL officials!

amen

Tunescribe said:
I have seen every Super Bowl, and this was by far the most disappointing. There was no "excellence" on the field; I don't see how Pittsburgh can be too thrilled with that performance despite winning. It was like a bad early season Monday night game. And the league definitely needs to make the refs full-time PROFESSIONAL officials!

these so called PRO-fessional refs need to be held accountable for the kind of robbery that went on against Seattle last night.....absolute travesty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots