This is not an update on Burgess...do not read

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Always good to pimp one of our own, learned by now not to get hopes up on what we think we need... but there are draft picks named.. so may mean something.

It Is What It Is Patriots looking to deal for Oakland’s Burgess

WEEI.com has confirmed a report the Patriots are interested in acquiring Oakland’s Derrick Burgess. The deal would send Burgess to New England in exchange for a second- or third-round pick in 2010

It’s believed that Burgess, who is listed as a 6-foot-2, 260-pound defensive end, could move to outside linebacker in New England’s 3-4 defense. He has been hobbled by injury the last couple of years, but could still bring an instant jolt to the Patriots’ pass rush.

Last edited:
Re: Update on Burgess.. From Chris Price...

Update on Jason Taylor...

Q&A with Miami Dolphin Jason Taylor -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
(On how hard the New England Patriots came after him) - "I know Mr. Kraft made a comment and we talked. There was talking. I'll leave it at that. I am obviously flattered by the interest that the Patriots and all the other teams that had interest in me and they're belief that I could still play because a lot of people that said a lot of things. I appreciated that overture and the respect that those guys paid. I obviously wish them the best except for twice a year."

Thanks for 2 days ago update. How about when posting an update, you actually, ya know, post an update?

Thanks for 2 days ago update. How about when posting an update, you actually, ya know, post an update?
Yeah, Chris posted that two days ago. Where's the update here ???

(asking Darryl, not Chris)

:D The only update I have on Burgess is that NE has been talking to Jokeland since draft day about possibly acquiring him for the right price.

Did you know that the Pats drafted 12 players?? Isn't that news??

Not trying to be a ****, but that was a misleading title.

I really hope this trade happens, hopefully a 3rd but I wouldn't mind throwing in a 6th rounder aswell to sweeten the deal. It is important we get pressure on opposing QBs to help out our secondary, especially since we don't have much experience at CB. If Adalius can stay healthy I believe he will get double-digit sacks but I'm not very confident about the other OLB spot. Hopefully, Crable will develop into a good pass rusher but I don't see him being ready to step in this year since he missed all of last year's action.

And let's not forget this news that just came through the wire too:

"Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead"

I have an update!!!

Raiders' Burgess seen as possible fit with Patriots - The Boston Globe

Millard, who coached Burgess the past four seasons in Oakland, said the Raiders had a package under former defensive coordinator (and one-time Patriots linebackers coach) Rob Ryan that used Burgess as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

"I think he could make the transformation to outside linebacker because he did that in our 3-4 package," said Millard.
"We called it 'Joker.' We used it a lot, especially in the red zone. I really believe he can do it."

Unlike Peppers, Burgess has experience playing in the 3-4:D

And let's not forget this news that just came through the wire too:

"Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead"

Holy crap; DEAD? I didn't even know the guy was sick. I gotta get on that internet, I'm missing out on everything.........

Here is an update too while we are at it - Late Breaking news!!!

Man%20Lands%20on%20Moon.JPG

I have an update!!!

Unlike Peppers, Burgess has experience playing in the 3-4:D

The conversation is also revealing for what it didn't say.

Buress has difficulty containing the run. That was the reason he was shipped out by the Eagles. He was/is a pass rusher, no doubt, but would probably be restricted to plalying the WOLB, as a full timer. More probably he is a situation 3rd down pass rusher, only, like TBC. Outside of Thomas and somewhat for TBC, that is the criticism of the present young crew of LBs.
Some of th concern is that the probable pass rsuhers haven't showm much yet. Maybe they will. Woods and Crabel are just unknowns as pass rushers.

Off their backgrounds, I suspect both wil prove surprising good in that regard, as they mature.

Apologies, thought today was the 18th.. retirement does that..

Re: This is not an update on Burgess.. do not read

Sorry to spoil the fun but it seems as though Tom Cable wanted to provide an ACTUAL update with the Raiders coach saying he expects Burgess to play for the Raiders this season.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_12414977

Raiders Coach Tom Cable said it was a "surprise" to read recent reports about defensive end Derrick Burgess being offered to the New England Patriots in a trade.

"I do expect to go (into the season) with him here," Cable said.

He added that there was some discussion about trading Burgess, perhaps, and other players during the NFL draft in April.

"People inquire about players on this team all the time," Cable said. "So we listen to everything."

Burgess, 30, is in the final year of a five-year contract. He is a two-time Pro Bowl player, but his production has slipped the past two seasons because of injuries and eight games missed.

Burgess missed all of the Raiders' mandatory mini-camp this month because of the flu. Wedneday, he missed his second consecutive day of organized team activities, which are voluntary.

Anybody know how OFTEN the Raiders used that 3-4 package with Burress at OLB?

for one full season i think he had he's best year as a 3-4 LB 16 sack's

The words of his former DL coach Keith Millard:
"I think he could make the transformation to outside linebacker because he did that in our 3-4 package," said Millard. "We called it 'Joker.' We used it a lot, especially in the red zone. I really believe he can do it."

This part of the article might clear up questions about his playing ability after the downturn last year:
Like Randy Moss before him, Burgess could simply need a change of scenery to excel.

"One thing about Derrick, he's self-motivated," said Millard. "With a new coaching staff and a different situation or scenario I think, that will really recharge him.

"The last couple of years in Oakland, with the record, injuries, different philosophies, that can wear on a person. Derrick has always been a winner. He's someone that puts it out there to win. He's not an individual type.

"I think a new scenario recharges his battery."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye