Welcome to PatsFans.com

This is just stupid

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Styrofoam makes a comeback in House cafeterias – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Washington (CNN) – An old standard is being reintroduced in cafeterias throughout the Capitol: Styrofoam cups.

A little over a month after taking control of the House, Republicans have changed a pivotal element of Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's "Green the Capitol" initiative. Since 2007, non-recyclable, Styrofoam cups were replaced with environmentally friendly biodegradable cups.

The reappearance of Styrofoam cups is one move towards phasing out Pelosi's program, which brought climate-friendly vending machines and compact fluorescent light bulbs to the Capitol. The plan successfully reduced energy consumption by 23 percent and water consumption by 32 percent throughout Capitol buildings, according to an April 2010 report.
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

That is pretty dumb. Do they think they're saving money or was it just some kind defiant in your face kind of a thing?
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'd die before I gave up my cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee every morning and I don't want a paper cup with a corrugated cardboard sleeve around it.

For what? a billion years or so dinosaurs died and turned into the most fowl goop I can think of. A goop that was utterly useless until the internal combustion engine came along btw and how much did all those dead dinosaurs hurt the Earth up 'till then?

Who knows? Maybe 250 million years from now they'll have turned old styrofoam into a power source and there'll be activists blogging "No wars for styrofoam!"

Anyway, I like my morning coffee.
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Gee, maybe it could be the fact that 99% of the people would rather not burn their hands when drinking beverages? Sdaniels stole some of my thunder by making the exact point I was about to make. Scalding hot coffee + paper cups is stupid. Give me the styrofoam. Heck, I wish McDonald's would go back to the days when their sandwiches were served in those styrofoam boxes.
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Ok I might buy that to some extent but a lot of drinks aren't hot...and have your hands been burnt lately from a burger from McDonald's?
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Apparently Tea Party patriots also want to repaint the Capitol with lead paint, and spray the building with DDT for pests.

Plans are also in the works for hand drying machines in the congressional bathrooms that blow hot CFCs to dry hands, and water in the bathrooms is replaced with fracking material.
  7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Ask the coffee shop for a sleeve and you won't burn your hands.
  8. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +88 / 7 / -11

#37 Jersey

Bullsh!t! Those things don't keep the heat in or out. You burn your hand 1 minute and the next the coffee is cold.
  9. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

DDT is sorely needed in the fight against malaria in Africa. The risks that it posed have turned out to be overblown.

I'd go with radioactive paint over lead...but then, I hate politicians.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

YouTube - Jake "The Snake" Roberts Finisher ( DDT )
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Not to mention with the bed bug epidemic that's unfolding.

So while some probably didn't like the paper cups, others didn't like the biodegrable utensils. Oh, and the multi-million price tag too.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  12. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

An interesting take from Slate's "green" contributor:

Styrofoam cups in the House cafeteria: Why the Republican's dishware switch isn't as bad as you think. - By Jacob Leibenluft - Slate Magazine

Basically that although the styrofoam is bad from a trash perspective it is more green than paper cups or ceramic mugs in terms of water use (washing mugs), transport (lightweight), wood use (compared to paper), and electricity used to produce.

To me the landfill space would seem to trump most of these other things, but I found it interesting in that I never really considered the potential negative environmental impact of more "green" alternatives.
  13. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey! I dont wanna burn mah hands for his cup of coffee!:mad:

:cool: