PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is disgusting..."Patriots fans" wishing ill will on Ghost and Cardinals on Palmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually there are many areas to point the finger at:
- OL
- did not kick FG in 4th quarter
- Brady 2 INTs
- running game was laughable

Gost PAT would have probably tied the game. But, then again. When was the last time the Patriots won a game in OT?

Point to an easy scapegoat, but the game will full of failures...

Only positive was the Patriots-D held them to 20pts.

New to sports? (Kidding)

This happens every time a single player costs a game. Let's be honest, Ghost cost us the game.

Still the best kicker, probably ever.

We will be in 51. Mark my words.

He cost a chance at OT not the game. The offense doing nothing for 58 mins of the game cost the Pats the game. The OL not blocking and winning many one on one battles cost the Pats the game.

Well here is one explanation for the hate. Guy claims he bet his mortgage on the game. hahaha

Ha, a compulsive gambler... these people amaze me, they take money they can't afford to lose and GAMBLE it away on something they have no control over

Disgraceful... hopefully he doesn't have a family that will suffer for his horrible choices

our guy missed an xtra point, their guy made a 52 yarder..difference in the game.

New to sports? (Kidding)

This happens every time a single player costs a game. Let's be honest, Ghost cost us the game.

I have an impulse also to say that cost us the game, but in the end, I strongly disagree. First, it happened early in the game, and we had much time to rectify it (not to mention a number of red zone attempts). Also, as far as him costing us the game, he made other critical FGs, including a 46 yarder--that's not remarkable, but 46 yards on foreign turf, etc. still is far from automatic. I can see where if it happened at the end of the game, you'd have to say at some level it was a key reason we lost, but it really is true that most games hinge on a number of missed plays--some just stand out more. But when an error like that happens that early, there is so much time to rectify, you can't really blame it on that--especially when we are talking a single point. (I'd say by comparison, Brady being pressured into throwing a pick deep in our territory was more critical, as was giving up the ball in the last 2 minutes of the first half and them getting a FG--that turned out to be a REALLY big deal).

Also, keep in mind that if we had only needed 7 and not 8, Denver undoubtedly would have defensed the last part of the game differently. Who knows if we would have even gotten that score at the end.

Still don't get how a missed extra points cost us the game.

The tweets are obscene and no one deserves to have those sorts of things said of him.

But, while there's a lot blame to go around, it can be fairly said that Gostkowski helped cost the Pats the game...check that...he cost the Pats a chance to win the game in OT. That's just a fact. We'll never know why he missed that kick, but people who know more about it than I do thought that something was wrong...including where he lined up compared to where he'd been lining up in pre-game practice.

Gostkowski also ****ed up the onside kick that could have given them a last gasp chance at an "Aaron Rodgers moment," kicking the ball just five yards into the arms of a Bronco.

So, Gostkowski fully and justly deserves the criticism he's receiving, but he doesn't deserve the obscenities.

One can make that statement and still be grateful for and respect all of his Regular Season accomplishments and be happy that he is a Patriot, as am I.

[ps: I have read in many places that he doesn't like to be called "Ghost," so I don't know why people persist with that familiarity out here.]

Yea I mean Ghost obviously played a big role in that loss yesterday, but there is not a single kicker in the league I'd rather have and he doesn't deserve the hateful things being flung at him. ..he's won us way more games than he helped lose

And that was in the 1st quarter, the team had many opportunities to overcome that and still win the game but failed to execute..

Denver was just the better team and they deserved to win.. its a miracle that Brady made it as close as he did with that last drive, converting 2 4th downs

They will need to rethink their offensive approach because having Brady drop back nearly 60 times against a defense that can annihilate the QB is foolish and will shorten his career

I don't know how I'd prioritize the failures, but Gost's miss obviously cost us the game in some fashion.

His first XP miss in 10 years came in the AFCCG, where we definitely would've kicked a FG one of those times at the end, and even if we didn't, still would've sent the game to OT at worst.

While I agree with your "team concept" thoughts which are very true, the fact remains that our offense and defense still played well enough to at least have the score tied at the end of regulation had he not missed an extra point. It's like something you'd see in a movie.
I'd rephrase some of that:

"Gostkowski's missed XP helped cost us the game and his five yard onside kick into the arms of a Bronco helped take away a chance for a miracle finish, a la Aaron Rodgers. And, while I still think Gostkowski is the best kicker at the peak of his skills in the NFL today and I wouldn't want anyone else playing the game at that position today on our team today, that still doesn't change the fact #4 was and will always be 'the man' in the post season for the Pats and that is why Adam will go to Canton and someone else who might end his career with better Regular Season statistics will not."

"our defense played so well that it was almost able to allow our offense and Special Teams to overcome their poor performance and tie a game that they should have been able to win 31--20 instead of lose 20--18."

Yea I mean Ghost obviously played a big role in that loss yesterday, but there is not a single kicker in the league I'd rather have and he doesn't deserve the hateful things being flung at him. ..he's won us way more games than he helped lose

And that was in the 1st quarter, the team had many opportunities to overcome that and still win the game but failed to execute..

Denver was just the better team and they deserved to win.. its a miracle that Brady made it as close as he did with that last drive, converting 2 4th downs

They will need to rethink their offensive approach because having Brady drop back nearly 60 times against a defense that can annihilate the QB is foolish and will shorten his career

we agree. Gostkowski did not cost them the game. no one can reasonably blame him for the loss.

But, therein lies the difference between Gostkowski and Vinatieri.

No one would have blamed #4 if he had not made that 45 yarder into the teeth of a blizzard to tie the Snow Bowl ("the greatest kick under pressure in the history of the NFL," according to just about every one) and no one would have blamed him if the pressure of the moment was too great and he didn't make the 48 yarder that won SB XXXVI and the kick that won SB XXXVIII...just as no one can blame Gostkowski for yesterday's loss...

...the difference is that #4 got the job done when he had to and Steve did not.

Those who are dumping on ghost should change there allegiance and join some other...crappy team..

I don't wish any ill upon Gostkowski. He is a tremendous kicker and had a great year. The OL was the single biggest contributor to our failure to reach the Super Bowl. But Gostkowski had the ultimate costly miss yesterday. The second it went wide right I knew it would loom large later in the game. Sure enough it did. Had his first missed XO at the very worst time. Disappointed in him.

we agree. Gostkowski did not cost them the game. no one can reasonably blame him for the loss.

But, therein lies the difference between Gostkowski and Vinatieri.

No one would have blamed #4 if he had not made that 45 yarder into the teeth of a blizzard to tie the Snow Bowl ("the greatest kick under pressure in the history of the NFL," according to just about every one) and no one would have blamed him if the pressure of the moment was too great and he didn't make the 48 yarder that won SB XXXVI and the kick that won SB XXXVIII...just as no one can blame Gostkowski for yesterday's loss...

...the difference is that #4 got the job done when he had to and Steve did not.

Well, the 2nd SB win against the Panthers Adam V missed his first 2 FGs in that game, so he was 0 for 2 when he made the game winner... if he had made either of his first 2 kicks they would have been kneeling instead of having to drive for a 3rd shot at it

Ghost missed his first XP but made the rest of his FGs... that 1 pt sure did hurt tho

Ghost f*cked up. But he's been an absolute machine for so long that I've already forgiven him.

I will say that he now goes clearly under Vinatieri for me, whereas before I felt he was just as good and simply lacked the same clutch opportunities that Vinatieri got.

Do. Your. Job. Well. Right? Gostkowski isn't the only that didn't perform up to their capabilities. We got outcoached (starting with the kick-off to having the DB's play off the receivers early), outplayed (the OL at the top of the list. I said if we lose that'll be the reason why), outlasted.
It's a team game. We need some more play makers and a must to stay healthy. We're just not the beast we used to be and our opponents next year are not all slouches. Oh, and what if Brady DOES get 4 games....ouch!

New to sports? (Kidding)

Sure, Gost "cost us the game".

Evidently you think the one extra point was the reason the Patriots lost - - - not the 50+ plays the OL fell flat on its face and caused Brady to get hit 20 times yesterday (the most by ANY QB in the entire NFL for this season).

Whoever you are, you can go go back to baseball now.

Ghost f*cked up. But he's been an absolute machine for so long that I've already forgiven him.

I will say that he now goes clearly under Vinatieri for me, whereas before I felt he was just as good and simply lacked the same clutch opportunities that Vinatieri got.

Vinatieri had 1 blocked and 1 miss (that's SIX points, math majors!) in SB 38. It just isn't remembered by posters who join this website in the past 6 weeks.

Just like Brady throwing for 292 yards and no running game while Manning threw for 145 yards WITH a legitimate running game will only be rememebered as "Manning beat Brady".

The general public is stupid.

How can he clearly go under Vinatieri now? Because he missed an extra point in the 1st quarter, but hit every other FG the rest of the game?

Vini missed his first 2 FGs against the Panthers, then hit the 3rd at the end of the 4th quarter so people seem to elevate that kick and glorify it... if he just did his job even 1 of the first 2 chances he had, they would have been kneeling to victory.. he had to kick the game winner because he missed 2 prior in that game..

Ghost missing an extra point, the ONLY ONE OF HIS CAREER, in the 1st quarter of a game, is not as bad as Vini's performance in the Panthers SB

DiGuglielmo is fired 24 hours after the game, but Gost is still on the team.

Does it dawn on the "geniuses" who have graced our forum over the last few weeks that perhaps it wasn't Gostkowsi who really was the primary reason the Patriots lost that game yesterday???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back