PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is all starting to make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has more legs with ESPN because yes, there is a real world business tug of war with the nascent NFL channel which if successful in being widely carried, will decimate ESPN's ratings.
I find this claim very difficult to substantiate.

If Specter is using "spygate" to tweak the NFL because of Comcast, why isn't anyone else accusing him of it beyond us fans? Even Goodell or Kraft could allude to that suspicion. As for ESPN's alleged involvement, that station is about much, much more than the NFL, although it wouldn't surprise me to learn that going head-to-head with NFLN would hurt them slightly.

Last edited:
If Specter is using "spygate" to tweak the NFL because of Comcast, why isn't anyone else accusing him of it beyond us fans? Even Goodell or Kraft could allude to that suspicion.

How 'bout his hometown newspaper?

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/opinion/20080209_Editorial__Sen__Specter_and_the_Patriot_Tapes.html

Surely, Specter's outrage has nothing to do with his backing of the cable industry, and his big donors at Comcast, who are in a fight with the football league concerning the NFL Network.

Or perhaps the NFL didn't get Specter's chief of staff good enough seats to the Super Bowl. Specter says he wasn't aware of the request and that the staffer would pay for the seats, which cost $700 each.
______-

Sports Illustrated:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dave_zirin/02/27/spygate/index.html

....Yet, a closer look at Specter's incentives reveals what some say is a most unpleasant stench.

Long before Spygate, dating to 1983 according to aides, Specter has railed against the antitrust exemption held by the NFL....

......Here is where we start to get filthy. Specter was described to me by an opponent as "the Senator from the great state of Comcast." Is this fair?

Comcast is the No. 2 source of campaign funds for the Senator. Comcast execs and employees have given a reported $153,600 in contributions, going back to 1989. The No. 1 contributor since '89 is Blank Rome LLC, a lobbying firm that has dumped $358,483 into Specter's coffers. A chief client of Blank Rome is .... wait for it .... Comcast........

“If you simply took Specter at face value, and assumed his passion for grilling the NFL in his official Senate capacity is the passion of a jilted fan, that alone would be an outrageous abuse of his authority,” writes the Daily News’ Will Bunch. “But the truth is much worse, because Specter’s interest in this issue dovetails far too closely with those of his two largest contributors, whose employees have given his campaign more than half a million dollars to keep him in office. I believe if there’s any Senate hearing involving the NFL and Arlen Specter, it ought to be the Senate Ethics Committee, looking at a potential link to these donors.”

There is far more, but I have to get back to work.

Last edited:
anyone disputing the fact that Comcast is influencing Specter knows very little about the American political system. thats how politics works ppl.

and it does explain why a certain Senator has SUDDENLY taking an avid interest in the NFL.

If anyone thinks that this spygate thing is about a concern for illegally taping signals and the integrity of the game, then they are naive. This is about the NFL and Comcast. THe NFL wants the NFL channel on the basic cable package while comcast wants us to pay additional money for it. Comcast is using its local senator (specter) to push the NFL through the media and calls for investigations of matt walsh.

Now add to that Mike Fish of ESPN, whom I suspect is working side by side with comcast on this. you should see how depressed Fish looks in his latest interview with ESPN's Trey Wingo. If the NFL succeeds and gets the NFL network on the basic cable package, who is the loser? ESPN. ESPN's viewership mainly consists of NFL fans. If everyone turns to the NFL network, then ESPN loses a lot of ratings. No one would watch Berman anymore or Clayton or NFL countdown. Therefore, ESPN will continue to push the spygate thing. It's all about money in the end and the really dumb NFL fans across the country are falling for the hype.

I hope the NFL does not give into comcast and that second rate senator from PA.

OK.....so again then......WHY take it out on the Patriots then for a dispute that the NFL Network has with Comcast/Cable...........That makes no sense.....to try to DESTROY a franchise because of a dispute between a cable company and the NFL.....is LUDICROUS......I sincerely HOPE that this is not what all this horsesh## is about!

Hi people,
Question: Does Disney own ESPN and if so what link between Kraft and Disney is there, if any?
Smoke and mirrors, this whole thing could just be something to fill what would be dead air time or a rehash of yesterdays news. Maybe this is a ploy to take the fans eye off of
the NBA or MLBB,.....or even the election coming up. THEORY? I think not! :D

PS: Just a little off beat humor. CameraGate needs it. (the media is a joke)

look. there's a lot more to this thing than they let on. specter, who says he's concerned with the integrity of the game, has never been concerned with the steroid scandal in MLB, which is far worse than spygate. all of a sudden he's says the integrity of NFL is at stake?

believe me on this.

Great point.....where is the hysteria from that old COOT in regards to Steroids.....He is a fraudulent, agenda driven, scumbag!!!!.....WASTING hundreds of thousands of taxpayers dollars on his own (and comcasts) agenda.......He should be forced to resign....OBVIOUSLY he has some financial interest in this whole scandal!

Spy gate, will be put on the mantel, with

Sasquatch

Yetti

Roswell New Mexico

JFK

Keith Richards Blood Tansfusions

What I mean is its a big myth, and peter graves will be at Foxboro in seach of the missing link.. :D

Actually- Roswell really did happen.........the others....well.....different story.

Spy gate, will be put on the mantel, with

Sasquatch

Yetti

Roswell New Mexico

JFK

Keith Richards Blood Tansfusions

What I mean is its a big myth, and peter graves will be at Foxboro in seach of the missing link.. :D

Funny how Senator Specter was involved with at least two of the above............

That's your choice. If you like simple answers, so be it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_Razor

Occam's razor (sometimes spelled Ockham's razor) is a principle attributed to the 14th-century English logician and Franciscan friar William of Ockham. The principle states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory. The principle is often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae ("law of parsimony" or "law of succinctness"): "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem", or "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity".

This is often paraphrased as "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." In other words, when multiple competing theories are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selecting the theory that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood.

Originally a tenet of the reductionist philosophy of nominalism, it is more often taken today as a heuristic maxim (rule of thumb) that advises economy, parsimony, or simplicity, often or especially in scientific theories.

OK.....so again then......WHY take it out on the Patriots then for a dispute that the NFL Network has with Comcast/Cable...........That makes no sense.....to try to DESTROY a franchise because of a dispute between a cable company and the NFL.....is LUDICROUS......I sincerely HOPE that this is not what all this horsesh## is about!

Did you read post #23 in this thread?

2 of the 3 links are from his hometown newspapers. The other is from Sports Illustrated.

Just Google Arlen Specter and Comcast and you'll get a plethora more.

Not only that, you can read about Arlen's son Shanin and his 30 years + close friendship with Brian Roberts, CEO of Comcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back