PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This homer is gonna criticize the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bunk. I think we win it in 2006. The team wasn't better with Moss, especially in the playoffs. It was more prolific in the passing game in 2007, although that started to evaporate down the stretch. There are many theories why, but it is what it is. I think it took BB and Brady all of 2009 to figure that out in part because of what happened in the first game of 2008...

Bill didn't appreciate the significance of the intangibles factor in this offense for a long time. It took striking out with multiple measurables talents to finally drive home how difficult it is to operate in this offense unless you are not merely physically gifted but more importantly uniquely gifted in the intangibles category including being incredibly intuitive, cerebral, mentally tough, physically tough, unselfish, driven to win at any cost.

As for the split, it takes two and Deion wasn't honest with them out of the gate and they weren't honest with him, either. Had they both been more honest with each other he probably could have been signed before camp for what they tried to up the offer to at the 11th hour which was still less than what Seattle ultimately offered. They wanted him at $5.5M, he wanted $6.5M - they could have met in the middle, and should have once Givens moved on. Thing is it remains hard for this team to deal with holdouts because of the broader message that sends.

The offense wasnt the problem in 2006. It was the defense that was the unit that had the biggest issues. How would Branch have won us a SB in 2006? In the Colts game the defense gave up 32 2nd half points. How would have Branch helped with that? The team was 12-4 during the regular season, nothing wrong with that. I just don't see how you can say that one player is the difference between winning a SB or not, especially when its Branch who isnt THAT big of a game changer, he just makes solid plays.

I do agree with what you said about the Pats and Branch parting ways. A deal definitely could have gotten done, but like you said both parties were not that honest with each other. They could have definitely settled for around $6 million a year.

Without Moss, I'm not even sure the 2007 team makes gets to the superbowl. There's a reason that the 2 best offenses in NFL history have both had Moss as their #1 WR.

The huge improvement in the offense in 2007 was about the receivers, not the QB like everyone around here believes.

The 2007 defense wasn't that great at all. I agree without Moss the team doesnt make it to the SB. The offense bailed the defense out of so many games in 2007.

I don't sip BB's kool-aid, I gulp it. Always have. That is no secret

Every player decision over the years, I can't think of ONE in the Belichick era where I didn't ultimately side with him or the front office. When players demanded to much, I always take a "don't let the door hit where the good lord split ya" attitude. The coach was always right. In BB we trust, right????

UNTIL NOW

Not that any of you will care, but I've come to the sharp realization after yesterday's game: WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER LET BRANCH WALK. I believe we'd have at least 1 more championship had he stayed here and it was a huge mistake letting him go.

Don't get me wrong, it's not cuz I think he is a world-beater talent-wise. Nor was he particularly "worth" what he was asking back in the day. But it was eminently clear after yesterday's game (a good reminder for those of us that forgot), Dieon is absolutely, hands down.... Brady's ultimate binky.

Brady doesn't need a receiver to make him look good so I'm not saying that, but what I am saying is that for whatever reason, the two have an undeniable connection the comes out when the marbles are on the line and a play needs to be made. They always have, and we've always have known that.

So here goes - Bill, you effed up letting Branch walk back in 2007. There, I said it.

Enough of that crap. At least he was smart enough to make up for it by getting him back. Branch will not be the same player that you saw in Seattle and will return to his former Patriot self. Whatever he's lost in physical gifts due to age, will be made up by his wizzened veteran status.

p.s. I still overwhelmingly agree with just about every other decision the "coach" makes, so this is just a one-time thing. :D.
I remember the situation wasn't so easy, Branch was acting like a real Turd. Back then i remember it was similar to Mankins, twig turned down a lot of money, over 36 million to get a 39 million dollar contract. From what i remember he still had at least a year if not more left on his deal. In that respect he was like Revis was this year. So in retrospect i can't say that BB made a mistake. If he and the organization had caved into Branch it would have set a precedent.

Last edited:
2006 season, correct, sorry.....

I hear ya, and you may be right (I'm giddy), but 4 days...... and he and Brady played like they never missed a beat. Deion was NEVER a 9 catch guy (exceept when it mattered most ;) ).

Point acknowledged though. He did shoot his way out. I do remember that too.

Trust me, I'm also excited about him being an excellent cog in the machine for the next few years!

You seem to not remember the situation at all.

Branch's agent broke off communication with the front office, and refused to continue negotiating.

...and he was still under contract and refused to report to work, demanding they tear up the contract he had signed his name to. That's very different from what's implied by the phrase "letting him walk."

The offense wasnt the problem in 2006. It was the defense that was the unit that had the biggest issues. How would Branch have won us a SB in 2006? In the Colts game the defense gave up 32 2nd half points. How would have Branch helped with that? The team was 12-4 during the regular season, nothing wrong with that. I just don't see how you can say that one player is the difference between winning a SB or not, especially when its Branch who isnt THAT big of a game changer, he just makes solid plays.

I do agree with what you said about the Pats and Branch parting ways. A deal definitely could have gotten done, but like you said both parties were not that honest with each other. They could have definitely settled for around $6 million a year.
I think Branch may have well cost us a SB that year. The defense would most likely not been on the field nearly as much if Branch was in that game, so they wouldn't have gotten worn down.

I remember the situation wasn't so easy, Branch was acting like a real Turd. Back then i remember it was similar to Mankins, twig turned down a lot of money, over 36 million to get a 39 million dollar contract. From what i remember he still had at least a year if not more left on his deal. In that respect he was like Revis was this year. So in retrospect i can't say that BB made a mistake. If he and the organization had caved into Branch it would have set a precedent.

And now thats hes renegotiated next years salary down, hes ending up with under 36 mill. He would have been better off if he accepted the Pats offer, hed have much better numbers, then again 2007 may not have happened, either way, water under the bridge.

heres a question:

would u rather have kept branch, and say won the SB in 2006

OR

done what we did, and go 18-1 in 2007???

back in 07 i would choose the first option, as time passes though the 16-0 accomplishment is growing on me...that was not just a SB, that was SPECIAL

my answer? i would take the latter

The offense wasnt the problem in 2006. It was the defense that was the unit that had the biggest issues. How would Branch have won us a SB in 2006?.

Well, to be fair, in that colts game, the defense did actually come up with a couple stops late, which the offense followed up with 3-and-outs. Part of the reason the colts were able to score so many points in the 2nd half is that the offense never gave the defense a chance to rest.

That, and the defense was a big part of why they scored so many points in the first half.

I don't think people are aware that we had two receivers of relevant quality in 2006.. Troy Brown and Jabar Gaffney.

I don't sip BB's kool-aid, I gulp it. Always have. That is no secret

Every player decision over the years, I can't think of ONE in the Belichick era where I didn't ultimately side with him or the front office. When players demanded to much, I always take a "don't let the door hit where the good lord split ya" attitude. The coach was always right. In BB we trust, right????

UNTIL NOW

Not that any of you will care, but I've come to the sharp realization after yesterday's game: WE SHOULD HAVE NEVER LET BRANCH WALK. I believe we'd have at least 1 more championship had he stayed here and it was a huge mistake letting him go.

Don't get me wrong, it's not cuz I think he is a world-beater talent-wise. Nor was he particularly "worth" what he was asking back in the day. But it was eminently clear after yesterday's game (a good reminder for those of us that forgot), Dieon is absolutely, hands down.... Brady's ultimate binky.

So here goes - Bill, you effed up letting Branch walk back in 2007. There, I said it./QUOTE]

I think you failed to look at both sides.. even Deion disagree's with you from MMQB today

"In 2006, Branch held out from training camp with the Patriots. He forced a trade to Seattle, which gave up a first-round 2007 draft pick to New England to get him.
In Seattle, Branch was given a six-year, $39 million contract. In New England, the last offer to Branch was approximately six years, $36 million.
Last week, Branch was traded back to New England. To make the trade happen, Branch lowered his 2011 compensation by $3.65 million. That makes his original contract from 2006 now worth six years and $35.35 million.
Now, there's no guarantee the Patriots wouldn't have tried to cut Branch's salary. But I ask you this: Where would Branch have had his best chance to be productive: with the team that drafted him, quarterbacked by an all-timer who had great chemistry with him, consistently in one of the best offenses in football ... or with a team with an oft-injured quarterback, adjusting to a new offensive system, and with three head coaches in five years?

In hindsight, it was an idiotic move, holding out and forcing the Patriots to trade him. The Seahawks traded for an impact receiver, and what they got was a pedestrian one. In 54 career games in Seattle, including the playoffs, Branch had three 100-yard games. In his last 34 games in Seattle, 24 times he was held to 50 receiving yards or fewer. Branch's impact with the Seahawks, basically, was nil."

Last edited:
Indeed. Probably with Kraft expending a lil more money in 2006 will make the Brady and Manning SB count 4-0

The offense couldn't keep the defense off the field in the second half of that game. And the reason they were playing on the road, as they had the previous week when they struggled mightily on offense in SD winning on sheer luck, guts and guile while decimated by injuries and the flu particularly effecting defense, was because they lost this home game to Indy in November when they turned the ball over four times on offense and scored 6 points in the second half...

Compared to the immortal Reche Caldwell or the incomparable Doug Gabriel...Branch was a HOF'er... And in the big games and the playoffs in SB's particular he routinely out performed some legit HOF WR's...

Patriots turn over 27-20 loss to the Colts

I think Branch may have well cost us a SB that year. The defense would most likely not been on the field nearly as much if Branch was in that game, so they wouldn't have gotten worn down.

One player isnt going to make a difference in that game or not. So, what maybe the Pats would have got one more first down in that game. If you look at Branch's playoff stats, the only good games that he has in have came in the SB games that he was apart of. In 2 career playoff games vs. the Colts he had 1 and 2 catches. Also, something to consider is how injury prone Branch was, he would have very well been injured at some point in the 2006 season and potentially been out for some time. Branch not being here in 2006 did not cost the Pats a SB

The offense couldn't keep the defense off the field in the second half of that game. And the reason they were playing on the road, as they had the previous week when they struggled mightily on offense in SD winning on sheer luck, guts and guile while decimated by injuries and the flu particularly effecting defense, was because they lost this home game to Indy in November when they turned the ball over four times on offense and scored 6 points in the second half...

Compared to the immortal Reche Caldwell or the incomparable Doug Gabriel...Branch was a HOF'er... And in the big games and the playoffs in SB's particular he routinely out performed some legit HOF WR's...

Patriots turn over 27-20 loss to the Colts

As I posted in my post responding to another poster, Branch's playoffs numbers arent as great as you would think. The only games that he really has performed were the 2 SB games. In his other playoff games he has had 3, 2, 1, 4, 2 and 8 catches with the Pats.

Then the other thing I brought up his his health, how is it certain that he would have been 100% healthy and able to play in the 06 playoffs. The only year he played a full season was in 2005.

Indeed. Probably with Kraft expending a lil more money in 2006 will make the Brady and Manning SB count 4-0

We maxed out the salary cap in 2006. Who should he have cut to find $7M for Branch?

The OP is right and I'm sure Belichick agrees.

The 2006 Super Bowl was a given with Branch on the team.

Do I need to remind anyone that the Patriots had Reche Caldwell as the top receiver in 2006? That game against the Colts was a win with Branch in there.

One player isnt going to make a difference in that game or not. So, what maybe the Pats would have got one more first down in that game. If you look at Branch's playoff stats, the only good games that he has in have came in the SB games that he was apart of. In 2 career playoff games vs. the Colts he had 1 and 2 catches. Also, something to consider is how injury prone Branch was, he would have very well been injured at some point in the 2006 season and potentially been out for some time. Branch not being here in 2006 did not cost the Pats a SB
Well that off season BB went out and got Randy Moss. In fact it seemed he to change his philosophy from defense to offense wins games, we became the Colts. Which he changed two weeks ago by trading Moss

Last edited:
Well that off season BB went out and got Randy Moss. In fact it seemed he to change his philosophy from defense to offense wins games, we became the Colts. Which he changed two weeks ago by trading Moss

Right, what does that have to do with Branch's playoff stats? The 2007 team was much better than the 2006 team, so clearly it was a smart move to make:confused:

heres a question:

would u rather have kept branch, and say won the SB in 2006

OR

done what we did, and go 18-1 in 2007???

back in 07 i would choose the first option, as time passes though the 16-0 accomplishment is growing on me...that was not just a SB, that was SPECIAL

my answer? i would take the latter

Without hesitation......... I'd take a 4th ring, and I'm willing to bet TB and BB would too.

Another point (if it hasn't been made clear). I think that Branch, by NFL standards, is a pretty pedestrian WR. However, for whatever reason, Brady loves him and he fits PERFECTLY in Brady's game.

This offense will be VERY productive with him in it. Moreso then it would have with Moss in it. This offense I mean, not just any offense. Moss is clearly more talented, but for the type of ball we are playing, the offense we have is gonna be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes