PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This game is being seriously misanalyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are going to be a few missed tackles and a few dropped or poorly thrown passes by any team in any game. That was not the primary issue last night. It was the game plan and a stubborn reluctance to make any adjustments within it for what was actually transpiring - like AJ Feeley having the game of his life behind a team that when McNabb fails in leading them we always hear has no receivers. Oddly when AJ or Garcia step behind center receivers emerge...

The problems on defense started with a committment to the pass rush that our front 7 simple could not deliver on. Seymour hasn't been a force since returning, perhaps he is actually a drag. Madden mentioned his knee still isn't right. Don't know if that was simply an observation or something he picked up in the pre game access meetings.

Absent pressure from the front 7 our secondary looks pretty anemic. Asante got two picks on the only two poorly thrown/bad decision passes of the evening. That's what he does. He also got picked on and gave up a lot of yards as did Hobbs and Gay. Hobbs didn't have any picks, but he had a couple of PD's and some very good return yardage. That makes the comparison of he and Samuel apples and oranges - both taste pretty good depanding on your mood. But unless you get some picks a soft zone against a QB having a pretty accurate evening behind good protection will always look anemic.

This was really a game of vanilla vs. vanilla where our D and their O was concerned. They took a page out of our old book and simply took what we gave them. We did nothing exotic to confuse a QB who hasn't started in years...whatever.

On offense we spent a lot of time refusing to take what they would give us, prefering to prove some esoteric point like we can take whatever we want. But between them finding ways to keep our offense off the field and maintaining pressure on it when it was that we seemed bound and determined not to acknowledge throughout the first three quarters the result was a rather disjointed effort that did score (when the zebras didn't intervene) but never found a comfortable rhythm until they made some concessions in the 4th quarter.

I almost had the feeling all night that Bill was determined to force issues in this game. On both sides of the ball. We don't really have the personnel to perform well in some scenarios. But perhaps he believes they should. Our Oline needs blocking help from a TE or a RB under pressure. When we did see a RB last night it was Faulk because in the spread he can block or receive better than Maroney.

Had the Moss TD not been overturned we would have likely built momentum. The Gostkowski miss really killed that. I had the sense all night that Bill was content to remain rigidly committed to the game plan because he believed Philly couldn't maintain that pressure against no huddle and the offense would eventually click and make our defense a moot point. That never really transpired. Instead they made some adjustments late on offense and AJ finally began to press once we regained the lead late.

I think while the players certainly have some things to work on, perhaps the coaching staff has some philosophical stuff to work through too. We certainly have the horses on offense to win any game which is why we are 11-0. They know we can explode or come from behind. But this was certainly the most uncomfortable we've looked across the board all season. The good news is so-called blueprints are only as good as the personnel available to execute them - on both sides in any game. Two teams have made us uncomfortable in two very distinct fashions, but not uncomfortable enough not to win. We will only face one of them potentially from here on out, and they are now missing their pro bowl speed rusher for the duration.

I know people want to say that the middle of the secondary is our weakness, and it may be the weakest part of our game, but I'd stop short of calling it a liability. It was bad yesterday, but I think a lot of that had to do with us not getting to the QB. We technically got to AJ once and that was a fluke sack. If teams are going to protect the QB the way we normally do, of course receivers are going to get open.

Hobbs has had a bad year in the secondary, but I think Samuel and Sanders are playing really good this year. Randall Gay has had his ups and downs, as has Harrison.

The pass rush STUNK last night, absolutely STUNK.

The secondary was banged up, between Rodney and Hobbs leaving the game at times. But the hole in the middle of the field was apparently left there by the coaching plan, so I can't blame it on the secondary.

Samuels, ironically, was the real MVP of the game. He got us a 14 point swing IMO, because no way we stop the Eagles on the last drive without the pick. Not saying his play overall was great, but the picks were needed badly. Not sure if we win the game without them, frankly.

Last edited:
7 possessions (trying to score)
5 times in the red zone (once to the PHI 33)
3 TDs (should have been 4 on Moss bogus PI call)
1 FG (got to 1st and goal at the 8).

The offense was good not great. Even with the PI call, it was still 1st and goal on the 14 and we got zero points. Actually, zero yards, if I recall, in three plays.

The problem was the 7 possessions. The best defense the Iggles played was with their offense, keeping ours off the field. Four 70 plus yard TD drives is how you "defend" the patriots.

Harrison looked like he was a step behind all night, did not look as dominant as he usually does..

He was injuried early in the game.

And the game plan left the entire middle of the field wide open.

Actually, I should revise my comments on the offense a little.

In the second half the offense produced a TD, a FG miss, three failed drives (2 on punts, one on downs), and a kneel. And the FG miss was on a drive that only got extended by a penalty when they were already in punt formation.

That's NOT a highly successful half.

Yup the Pats offense sputtered in the second half.
The defense had to carry them in the 4th quarter.

Brady and the boys DID chip in the go ahead TD in the 4th though.
That makes it how many 4th Q comebackes by Brady now?
It's still amazing, but he makes it look routine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back