PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This defense compared to years past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I misunderstood. The offense and an old patched up defense was better than the even worse defenses that followed as they failed to build another great offense (Jackson, Maroney).

Sorry, I think the great defense collapsed in 2006 and BB patched with other old players because he went offense big time because of Polian rules, the availability of Moss and other FA receivers. Don't think the 2007 defense can be judged in isolation on stats.

It was elite until Rodney went out and the Pats didn't have an answer for Dallas Clark. Word is Eric Alexander is still having nightmares about that game. Before that, they were firing on all cylinders.

Oh boy, do I ever hope that you're right!

I think the potential is there for sure, particularly with the stingy passing defense.

In the meantime, I hear what you're saying about the stats being skewed a bit in '07 and agree on some level, but when you look at the (fairly) dominant pass defense, it makes you appreciate it even more. Add in that crazy "team" effort from seven different players credited with 3+ turnovers, the sacks (which were helped by the offense) and you get a nice balance for sure.

I'd probably have them ranked:

1. 2003
2. 2004
3. 2001
4. 2006
5. 2007

Personally, I wonder if we're not close to something between 2009 and 2007 at the moment--although I'd probably have them pegged more towards 2009 myself?

We're better than all those teams, even missing Chandler and Mayo, due to the secondary. In my opinion.

It's amazing even after losing Jones and Mayo that I would still consider our front seven above average. Ninko, Wilfork, and Hightower are great players. Collins is approaching them as well.

IMO, Siliga is going to make a big difference for this D. He had 3 sacks in only 5 games last year and was by far our best DT at stopping the run when Wilfork went down. He'll be replacing the weakest link in our defense too, DT2 (C. Jones/Branch). I hope he returns for the GB game.

It was elite until Rodney went out and the Pats didn't have an answer for Dallas Clark. Word is Eric Alexander is still having nightmares about that game. Before that, they were firing on all cylinders.

Alexander was a nightmare. Sorry, patches and schemes do not a dominant defense make.

Last edited:
It's amazing even after losing Jones and Mayo that I would still consider our front seven above average. Ninko, Wilfork, and Hightower are great players. Collins is approaching them as well.

IMO, Siliga is going to make a big difference for this D. He had 3 sacks in only 5 games last year and was by far our best DT at stopping the run when Wilfork went down. He'll be replacing the weakest link in our defense too, DT2 (C. Jones/Branch). I hope he returns for the GB game.

Our defense was a sieve against the run. I like Siliga, but wouldn't be surprised if branch's playing time increases a lot.

Last edited:
The key to this defense is the acquisitions of Revis and Browner. Especially Revis. He completely transforms the secondary from average to elite. Revis needs to get signed long term this offseason because he single handily makes our defense better. This 2014 defense is the first time in almost a decade we have a very good secondary.

Our defense was a sieve against the run. I like Siliga, but wouldn't be surprised if branch's playing time increases a lot.

With Chris Jones, VW, Branch and Siliga, they have a very nice interior DT rotation for sure.

You can always say that the Pats went to the Super Bowl when Rodney was healthy in the playoffs.

Last edited:
The '04 defense would still be successful in today's league. Troy Brown was actually a pretty good DB and that front seven was just disgustingly good. But I do agree that this is the best defense we've fielded since 2007. When Chandler comes back, we should be rolling for the playoffs.
The talent at LB on those 01-04 teams was absurd. Bru, Willie (more DE) T Johnson, Vrabes, Pheiffer, Colvin...sheesh.

With Chris Jones, VW, Branch and Siliga, they have a very nice interior DT rotation for sure.

It's not bad considering Vince (who's incredible) is older and coming off a serious injury and Easley (also hobbled it seems) are the only top picks. Branch is just huge and athletic and I think they should ride that horse if he's motivated (also a high pick originally). Jones and Siliga give you a stout player and a penetrator that are hard workers.

Seems like in the modern NFL you have to prepare to play with big chunks missing and Chandler an Mayo are two prime players.

I personally think the secondary lets the rest of the defense work with more time and risk.

The talent at LB on those 01-04 teams was absurd. Bru, Willie (more DE) T Johnson, Vrabes, Pheiffer, Colvin...sheesh.

Incredible, in a different era. The prime of that defense went to a SB in 97, so I think what names were left post 2004 were mostly past their prime.

Our current defense is average statiscally

13th in Points/16th in Overall Yards/17th in passing Yards/14th in rushing yards per game

1) It is an illusion to think that we have had poor defenses in the Belichick era. Only 2000 (17th), 2002 (17th), 2005 (17th) and 2011 (15th) have been out of the top 10 in points allowed. Even in these three years, the defense was about average in 32 team league. It can be argued that having an average defense is enough for success with a Tom Brady as the QB.

2) I suggest that we overestimate the 2001 defense (6th). Obviously it was a good defense.

3) 2003 (1st), 2004 (2nd), 2006 (2nd) and 2007 (4th) were by far our best defenses. It is true that 2007 is a bit hard to judge. HOWEVER, I would argue that I would expect MORE points allowed by a team that is always ahead. One might consider this year's DEN game, which wasn't a great stat success for the defense.

4) We are left with 2008-2013. All were in the top ten but 2011 (15th). We rank best in 2009 (5th).
=======

So, where does our current #13 defense in points allowed rank among the top defenses we've had? Should we only consider the defense of the last 6 weeks? That seems unreasonable. IMHO, we have a top 10 defense at the moment. We might have a top 5 defense for the playoffs with Jones back. However, it will difficult to judge, other than by a SB win. We could finish in top 5 for points allowed, or not.

BOTTOM LINE
Perhaps we have the best defense since 2007. Perhaps not. As I've said, I think that we've under-rated recent defenses. But if our defense is a top 5 defense, it would be statistically as good as any since 2007 (tied at 5th with 2009).

The defense SEEMS better because of the awesome secondary. Even with an adequate run defense, we need fear no one in this pass-happy league.

It's not bad considering Vince (who's incredible) is older and coming off a serious injury and Easley (also hobbled it seems) are the only top picks. Branch is just huge and athletic and I think they should ride that horse if he's motivated (also a high pick originally). Jones and Siliga give you a stout player and a penetrator that are hard workers.

Seems like in the modern NFL you have to prepare to play with big chunks missing and Chandler an Mayo are two prime players.

I personally think the secondary lets the rest of the defense work with more time and risk.

Wilfork, Easley, Chandler Jones and Branch are all top picks. That's not too bad for a 4 man line (add Ninkovich who is no slouch).

If you are only discussing interior lineman, then 3 top picks seems to be a pretty high resource line.

Incredible, in a different era. The prime of that defense went to a SB in 97, so I think what names were left post 2004 were mostly past their prime.

Yes and no. Bru and Willie were 1st time ProBowlers during the 01-04 run. Pfeiffer was a monster in 01 and 03. Vrabel should also have been a PB in 03. Johnson was past his prime for sure.

The 2003 defense with Ted Washington was the best Patriots D ever. Washington was a mountain of a man; Ted Johnson said his butt was so big you could project a movie on it. Teams could not run on the Patriots and they dare not pass lest Law intercepted it or they got sacked; it was a dilemma.

The hardest hit I ever saw on Ricky Williams of the Dolphins was delivered by Ted Washington; it was like Williams was run over with truck.

The defense SEEMS better because of the awesome secondary.

The defense IS better because of an awesome secondary. It's a pass happy league, and we may have the only secondary in the NFL that can match up with anyone, usually in more than one way, and the best depth and versatility I've ever seen. I believe that come crunch time this D will make the crucial stops in a way that hasn't happened since 2003-2004. I don't care about rankings, or anything else.

Last edited:
Yes and no. Bru and Willie were 1st time ProBowlers during the 01-04 run. Pfeiffer was a monster in 01 and 03. Vrabel should also have been a PB in 03. Johnson was past his prime for sure.

I thought Bru, Willie and Law were the prime veterans in the SB years. Of course we made acquisitions.

Wilfork, Easley, Chandler Jones and Branch are all top picks. That's not too bad for a 4 man line (add Ninkovich who is no slouch).

If you are only discussing interior lineman, then 3 top picks seems to be a pretty high resource line.

Yeah, I was evaluating the interior. Not just by picks though, as i think the prime Sey, Wilfork, Warren was another level. As great as Wilfork is, he's got some tread on those tires, Easley's probably just scratching the service of his potential and Branch has to be a question mark based on his recent behavior.

I'm damned happy with it and the two young guys, though.

I thought Bru, Willie and Law were the prime veterans in the SB years. Of course we made acquisitions.
I misread you post. Thought that you meant that 97 D was past their prime in 01-04. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes