PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This colts team

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
does anyone think it reminds us of the 2004 pats team.? We had so many injuries and had troy brown playing DB...and we somehow found ways to win like that game in st louis. The colts seem to be similar and playing strong football down the stretch.Iam surprised more people are pumped up by the jags than the colts.
thoughts ?

does anyone think it reminds us of the 2004 pats team.? We had so many injuries and had troy brown playing DB...and we somehow found ways to win like that game in st louis. The colts seem to be similar and playing strong football down the stretch.Iam surprised more people are pumped up by the jags than the colts.
thoughts ?

No way. The differences are Tom Brady, Bill Belichick, Corey Dillon(1600 yards) and the defense we had in '04. Different personnel and different chemistry doesn't even bring this team to their level.

It does seem the flip of teams from that year, that doesn't guarantee anything, of course.

I think the Pats have a better D than those '04 Colts teams, easily.

However, I think the Colts this year have the best D they've had, ever in recent History. Even with Freeney, Booger, and Rob Morris out for the year. The secondary for the Colts are really really really good this year.

As for the Colts, I've never heard the term "under the radar" used more than it has by the media with this team.

All the hype or not hype is BS, its all decided on the field.

Last edited:
It does seem the flip of teams from that year, that doesn't guarantee anything, of course.

I think the Pats have a better D than those '04 Colts teams, easily.

However, I think the Colts this year have the best D they've had, ever in recent History. Even with Freeney, Booger, and Rob Morris out for the year. The dbs for the Colts are really really really good this year.

As for the Colts, I've never heard the term "under the radar" used more than it has by the media with this team.

All the hype or not hype is BS, its all decided on the field.

Yeah I think after the 5th mention of "under the radar", you are no longer under the radar.

IMO the Pats and Colts are still the two teams to beat. Someone last year said it just felt right that it ended up with NE-Indy again; and I fully expect it to play out that way again.

IF (and I think it's a big if) Marvin comes back healthy that run game will miraculously start to click again. The one factor that gives me pause for thought is their dline. I don't think they can consistently beat good teams from behind with the dline in the state it is.

Harrison, Brock, Mathis. Those 3 are huge.

does anyone think it reminds us of the 2004 pats team.?

A lot of things remind me of a lot of other things.

Number 1: The 2004 Pats won it all. Number 2: There has never been a team like the 2007 Pats.

So nothing reminds me of this setting.

thoughts ?
Difference being is that the 2004 season did not have any equivalent to this years Patriots. Sure there was the 15-1 Steelers, but did anyone on this board doubt that we were going to beat them?

Difference being is that the 2004 season did not have any equivalent to this years Patriots. Sure there was the 15-1 Steelers, but did anyone on this board doubt that we were going to beat them?

I don't know.....I wasn't posting here then, but I'll bet there were one or two people here who thought the sky was falling....probably after the Dolphins game. Just a hunch.

Beyond the obvious one team having a quarterback playing at an historic level and the other being a repeating Super Bowl champion that has the second best record in the conference, I don't think there is much of a comparison to the roles the Patriots and Colts of 2007 play compared to their respective roles in 2004. (Remember, many pundits believed the Patriots were the third best team in the AFC that year, behind both the Steelers and Colts.)

This is just more hype for a potential Colts/Patriots rematch in January now that the Colts "built for cold weather team" (ie. can run the ball and stop the run) looks worse than the Patriots "built for cold weather team." The Pats are tenth in the league in offensive rushing output (120.3 yds/game) and the Colts are now sixteenth in the league (110.7 yds/game). The Patriots are also tenth in defense, allowing 99.5 yds/game while the Colts are seventeenth, allowing 107.5.

The Colts injuries on defense are on the line, Pats were in the secondary. You can overcome inconsistencies in the secondary with good pressure from the front seven; given enough time, most quarterbacks and receivers will get the best of even the great safeties and cornerbacks. The Colts offense is still good but I'm more than confident in Belichick and co. to do their part to show me a couple Manning faces. In January. In Foxborough.

The Colts are a good team (as is any 13-2 team), but let's not crown their asses yet.

I don't know.....I wasn't posting here then, but I'll bet there were one or two people here who thought the sky was falling....probably after the Dolphins game. Just a hunch.
I was also concerned after the Dolphin game, which followed the Cincy game in which they gouged our defense. But the following game at the Jets restored my faith.

I'm willing to give the Colts the credit they deserve. If not for the Pats incredible season and incredible offense the news would be about the Colts having what is at least statistically a very complete team, with one of the better ranked Defenses to go with a strong offense.

I don't think your 2004 Patriots comparison is as off-base as others might think, given the injuries and team with personnel coming in that still does its job and wins.

Conversely the Pats reliance on the air game is reminiscent of the Colts of the past.

None of that bothers or worries me - I think at the end of the day we still have the better matchups if all our guys are playing to their abilities. The only question is whether or not they will.

Don't know that I see a connection, but I would say the Colts are much more resilient than they used to be. It would be a huge surprise if it wasn't Pats/Colts again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes