PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This and That

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Some random thoughts on the eve of the preseason opener …

1. Has any other team brought in as many significant veteran free agents as the Patriots this year? Taylor, Galloway, Lewis, Baker, Smith, Springs, Bodden, and Burgess – are near locks to make the team. These guys not only address immediate needs, but also buy time for the younger players to develop and grow. In particular, I felt right along that one of the reasons Fred Taylor was brought in was to mentor 24 year-old Laurence Maroney.

2. This shapes up to be an unusually deep team. In training camp, depth means competition for roster spots and playing time. As the season wears on, depth has been a huge factor in the success of Belichick’s Patriots over the last nine years. The team that takes the field in September is not the same team that competes in December, January and (we hope) February. BB understands this better than anyone – it’s one of the reasons that his teams improve as the season progresses.

3. It’s been suggested that Chiefs fans should get ready for a steady stream of Patriots cuts to find their way into KC. But remember that Pioli is now looking for players to fit Todd Haley’s system. Denver may be the more likely landing spot for Patriot castoffs.

4. Did NE overpay for Burgess? Well, they paid more than I thought they would but not unreasonably so. With the influx of young players from the 2008 draft, 12 draftees from 2009 and four picks in rounds 1 and 2 in 2010, they could well afford to invest a couple of picks to fill a need. And it's reassuring that the other bidders were the Eagles, who have to know Mr. Burgess quite well.

5. Let’s see. Jet HC Rex Ryan has already said he can’t wait to shake hands with the President after the Jets win the Super Bowl. Kerry Rhodes has declared the Jet defense to be the best in the league. Mark Sanchez and Shonn Greene have been anointed co-rookies of the year and future Hall of Famers by the New York Sporting Press. Gee, will there be a parade if the Jets win their preseason opener against the Rams Friday night?

6. Sorry to even mention this, but I’ve enjoyed my vacation from the nonstop brettfavre lunacy. Hey, it’s gotta be tough on a guy in his late thirties to come to the realization that the most exciting part of his life is probably over. But, the person I feel most sorry for is Mrs. brettfavre who now has to deal with brettfavre himself, up close and personal, 24/7/365. That’s gonna chafe just a bit.

7. Fifty years from now, football fans will know more about the 2007 Patriots than the three Super Bowl winners because that’s the team that did what no one else had done before: 16-0. The haters make light of this – that’s to be expected. Sadly, too many diehard fans do not fully appreciate the enormity of the accomplishment.

8. Can’t wait to see TB play again. 9/14 is going to be an EVENT. The best time of the year is right around the corner. Let the good times roll …

Rex Ryan has alread secured awards for most annoying coach to not accomplish anything significant as well as the 10th Annual Pete Carroll False Bravado Award.

When the Jets don't live up to expectations, that act will wear thin REALLY QUICK.

Here's my big fear. Ryan's old man was the idiot coach who was big on putting bounties on opposing players.

He seems like a big enough idiot and attention hog to re-start that trend.

16-0. The haters make light of this – that’s to be expected. Sadly, too many diehard fans do not fully appreciate the enormity of the accomplishment.

Myself and a few other posters were dicussing this in another thread just the other day. I asked if I was the only one who looks back on that season with found memories and a few guys agreed. It didn't get much discussion past that but I was happy to see I wasn't the only one. And I think the more time passes the more people will look back on it as special but there is still a sting to the loss at the end.

Kraft gets it....See the 16-0 Banner

7. Fifty years from now, football fans will know more about the 2007 Patriots than the three Super Bowl winners because that’s the team that did what no one else had done before: 16-0. The haters make light of this – that’s to be expected. Sadly, too many diehard fans do not fully appreciate the enormity of the accomplishment.

You know, I've always said that every year there's a Superbowl champ.
In NFL history though, there's only been one 18-0 team.:cool:

Last edited:
I am most enthused about item (2). Outside of QB and possibly ILB, the bottom guys on the 53-man roster are going to be capable, talented players.

Who can forget a drunken Joe Namath exclaiming:"We did it,we really did it",after his beloved New Jersey Jets won the 2009 OTA award for the 25th straight season.
........"O.....the humanity!"

1 & 2 make me salivate, this along with a lot of pretty good looking rookies ... these factors coupled with BB having too much time on his hands and continually be reminded how poorly his team did in Red Zone Defense make it even more interesting...

Here's my big fear. Ryan's old man was the idiot coach who was big on putting bounties on opposing players.

He seems like a big enough idiot and attention hog to re-start that trend.

If he even so much as tries that ****, I'd have to suspect that Mark Sanchez's year, maybe even career, would come to a quick end.

Great post, Zeus.

7. The pats 50 years from now will only be known for 1 thing and one thing only, spygate. Until Bill is gone, it'll be the case. They could 19-0 this year and people will still cast the doubts.

If Barry Bonds was still playing, people would only look at him as a cheater, that's just the way it goes.

7. The pats 50 years from now will only be known for 1 thing and one thing only, spygate. Until Bill is gone, it'll be the case. They could 19-0 this year and people will still cast the doubts.

If Barry Bonds was still playing, people would only look at him as a cheater, that's just the way it goes.

Yeah..... umm, no.

But thanks for playing.

It's just the haters that are still stuck on it. The rest of the normal sports world, by and large, has gotten past it. Nice first post, though. I'm guessing you aren't a fan of our beloved Pats.

troll3.jpg

It's just the haters that are still stuck on it. The rest of the normal sports world, by and large, has gotten past it.
If it wasn't for the videotaping, he's still be whining about the Tuck Rule. The jealous will never forget and will never fail to bring it up, unless something newer comes along. Who cares?

This is a good thread. Thanks you, OP, for your random thoughts.

History doesn't always record the real story. Somewhere along the line stories get repeated often enough they are considered to be fact. And stories that get repeated are the ones that sell - whether it was the story of Christopher Columbus in your school books back when you were in elementary school, or the way the media reported spygate 18-24 months ago. Maybe not the best example, but hopefully you get my drift.

In my opinion fifty years from now the 2007 season will be remembered for the Pats going 18-0 and then losing the Super Bowl, rather than spygate. Since that game, which of those two stories have other fans latched on to the most? Those looking for a negative spin will point at the Pats losing; those looking for a positive story talk about David Tyree.

Spygate morphed into a huge story in large part because of the fact the Pats were not losing any games. In hindsight I really think it would never had become as big a deal as it did had the Pats lost one or two games during the regular season. Conversely, had the Pats beaten the Giants then spygate would still be a huge story now.

Bottom line is that neither 16-0 nor spygate will be the number one story remembered fifty years from now; instead, it will be the Tyree catch.

Some random thoughts on the eve of the preseason opener …

8. Can’t wait to see TB play again. 9/14 is going to be an EVENT. The best time of the year is right around the corner. Let the good times roll …

Exactly :)

7. Fifty years from now, football fans will know more about the 2007 Patriots than the three Super Bowl winners because that’s the team that did what no one else had done before: waste a 16-0 regular season by not closing the deal & securing their place in history.

Fixed your post for you.

2. This shapes up to be an unusually deep team. In training camp, depth means competition for roster spots and playing time. As the season wears on, depth has been a huge factor in the success of Belichick’s Patriots over the last nine years. The team that takes the field in September is not the same team that competes in December, January and (we hope) February. BB understands this better than anyone – it’s one of the reasons that his teams improve as the season progresses.

The definition of "depth" gets used to loosely around people on this board or fans in general. However, you summed it up perfectly. For a team to have "depth", is to have backups that are almost as good as the team's starters. Therefore, when an injury occurs, the drop off isn't dramatic.

Okay, now here's my point. The above quote will pretty much determine the Pats fate this season. Just like it has determined the Pats fate the last 4 seasons. From '05-'08, the Pats have lacked any depth at LB and their secondary. However, this may be their lucky season. The Pats have added former starters such as Bodden, Springs, Lenon and Burgess and drafted heavily on defense in the past two seasons. In the end, the depth on both sides on the ball will decide whether or not the Pats will win their 4th super bowl trophy.

Last edited:
The definition of "depth" gets used to loosely around people on this board or fans in general. However, you summed it up perfectly. For a team to have "depth", is to have backups that are almost as good as the team's starters. Therefore, when an injury occurs, the drop off isn't dramatic.

Okay, now here's my point. The above quote will pretty much determine the Pats fate this season. Just like it has determined the Pats fate the last 4 seasons. From '05-'08, the Pats have lacked any depth at LB and their secondary. However, this may be their lucky season. The Pats have added former starters such as Bodden, Springs, Lenon and Burgess and drafted heavily on defense in the past two seasons. In the end, the depth on both sides on the ball will decide whether or not the Pats will win their 4th super bowl trophy.

Well the fact of the matter is that NO team EVER has enough depth at EVERY position, given the 53 man roster, the 45 man game day roster, and the cap. The Pats, this season may enter it with the most depth they've had....ever, but they are still thin in some positions. You just have to pick and choose WHERE you will be deep, and where you think you can afford to be thin. And injuries can change everything in a nanosecond. Just ask the Red Sox about having too much starting pitching. :rolleyes:

Who can forget a drunken Joe Namath exclaiming:"We did it,we really did it",after his beloved New Jersey Jets won the 2009 OTA award for the 25th straight season.
........"O.....the humanity!"
In certain situations, you kind of appreciate a "jet" going down in flames, especially the "gasbag" variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes