PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This and That (Train Wreck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
After much anticipation, Sunday was a rough day but what followed on Monday was even worse. I’d much rather talk about football than the other b.s. that’s been going on but I guess that’s just not the way life works anymore.

1. Opening Day found the local fans a bit overwrought, with the stubborn drought of sports related adrenaline continuing unabated since the winter. It’s been a more than a decade since the Patriots dropped their opener, so the game proved to be nerve jangling to say the least. I spent a good bit of the fourth quarter pacing in front of the gigantic television shrieking obscenities, something that I fear has prompted our new neighbors, a lovely young couple from the UK, to seek alternative housing arrangements. (Sensing my obvious distress, they wanted to get help but couldn’t decide between calling 911 or an exorcist.)

The outcome plunged New England into a pit of black despair. Any strengths we hoped that the team possessed had quickly evaporated. And our darkest fears about aging, infirm, unathletic players and senile, incompetent coaches had grown exponentially to become far worse than even the most dire pessimist might have imagined. Such torpor will continue at least until the next decisive victory.

2. Cant’ Block, Can’t Tackle, Can’t Win – Schemes and game plans can’t overcome poor fundamentals, mental errors and stupid penalties. After a respectable (and perhaps underrated) first half, the wheels came off in Miami. The third quarter alone was as bad as anything we’ve seen since Rod Rust’s team played that way on a weekly basis. It was an odd twist that the more Dolphin players left with injuries, the better Miami played, prompting the question as to whether they were playing the right guys in the first place. That’s two loses in a row at Miami. Let’s not forget that at home last year, the Patriots had to come back from a 17-3 halftime deficit to win 27-17 in a game that Miami had under control. A disturbing trend against an AFC East rival to say the least …

3. Not Ready for Prime Time - Was Bill Belichick’s biggest objective in preseason getting his team to September in one piece, perhaps prioritizing health over preparation? Given the assorted torn ligaments, dislocated joints, shattered bones and vibrating crania being reported league-wide throughout training camp, it’s hard to argue with this approach. So players like Gronkowski, Mayo, Easley and Dobson saw little or no action, while healthy veterans (Brady, Revis) played only sparingly. It’s fair to wonder if the lack of preseason game action was a contributing factor in the uneven play we observed Sunday, not so much from a conditioning standpoint, but with respect to the team’s ability to execute on a cohesive basis. It’s a tough choice, but if you’re going to try to win a War of Attrition, you might as well show up with as many able bodies as possible.

4. Half and Half – The Patriots were not alone in what appeared to be a nearly league wide epidemic of Trick or Treat Football that saw teams play well in one half and abysmally in the other. Much like the Patriots, many teams were not ready to play 60 minutes of football on Opening Day.

5. Roger Goodell took over as NFL Commissioner on August 8, 2006 as a self-professed hard-ass. Goodell’s justice is characteristically harsh, haphazard and capricious. He has taken a hard line with players for indiscretions large and small. He stomped on the Patriots for a technical rule violation that even he acknowledged provided little if any competitive advantage. His excessive punishments in Bountygate required intervention from his retired predecessor, Paul Tagliabue, who vacated all of Goodell’s player suspensions.

Might the players who have been on the receiving end of Goodell’s autocratic dictates be wondering what happens when The $44 Million Man publicly screws up in such a monumental fashion? What little credibility Goodell still had with the rank and file is shot to hell. Today’s NFL demands discipline and accountability, but I guess that only applies to The Hired Help.

6. Train Wreck – The NFL is at the pinnacle of its popularity and profitability. Were the league a publicly traded stock, Warren Buffet would be buying by the boatload because the business right now is so fundamentally sound that no amount of mismanagement could possibly derail the cash-laden freight train. The sad fact of the matter is that the owners regard this unprecedented success as giving them carte blanche to do whatever they want whenever they want. Ethical or criminal misdeeds by the owners themselves are barely recognized, let alone punished. Business partners such as the broadcast networks are treated like servants and the ticket buying fans are a mere afterthought. Every possible aspect of the game is being monetized and sold to the highest bidder, even the Super Bowl half-time show.

It is hubris of the highest order.

Mark Cuban is right – The Hogs Are at the Trough and they are getting fatter by the minute. The fatter they get, the stupider they get. It’s a huge train wreck waiting to happen.

7. Shame – Ray Rice’s disgraceful assault on Janay Palmer speaks for itself. I hope the Rices get the help they need and I think it is counterproductive to say that a 27 year old man doesn’t deserve a second chance. However, Rice and his enablers are off to a terrible start. Knowing what actually happened, the attempt by Rice, his despicable attorney, the Baltimore Ravens and the NFL to foist any degree of culpability for the assault onto the victim was a cowardly and cynical a thing as I have seen in my lifetime. The stink from this shameful act will not go away any time soon.

Last edited:
Tons of good stuff, Zeus, but I'll comment on this group:

2. Cant’ Block, Can’t Tackle, Can’t Win – Schemes and game plans can’t overcome poor fundamentals, mental errors and stupid penalties. After a respectable (and perhaps underrated) first half, the wheels came off in Miami. The third quarter alone was as bad as anything we’ve seen since Rod Rust’s team played that way on a weekly basis. It was an odd twist that the more Dolphin players left with injuries, the better Miami played, prompting the question as to whether they were playing the right guys in the first place. That’s two loses in a row at Miami. Let’s not forget that at home last year, the Patriots had to come back from a 17-3 halftime deficit to win 27-17 in a game that Miami had under control. A disturbing trend against an AFC East rival to say the least …

3. Not Ready for Prime Time - Was Bill Belichick’s biggest objective in preseason getting his team to September in one piece, perhaps prioritizing health over preparation? Given the assorted torn ligaments, dislocated joints, shattered bones and vibrating crania being reported league-wide throughout training camp, it’s hard to argue with this approach. So players like Gronkowski, Mayo, Easley and Dobson saw little or no action, while healthy veterans (Brady, Revis) played only sparingly. It’s fair to wonder if the lack of preseason game action was a contributing factor in the uneven play we observed Sunday, not so much from a conditioning standpoint, but with respect to the team’s ability to execute on a cohesive basis. It’s a tough choice, but if you’re going to try to win a War of Attrition, you might as well show up with as many able bodies as possible.

4. Half and Half – The Patriots were not alone in what appeared to be a nearly league wide epidemic of Trick or Treat Football that saw teams play well in one half and abysmally in the other. Much like the Patriots, many teams were not ready to play 60 minutes of football on Opening Day.

Is it a coincidence that the Seattle Seahawks, who played the most complete game that I saw all week, were penalized for excessive physical contact during their minicamp?

The overall quality of play last weekend was poor, which has become a common theme since the new CBA came into effect. With decreased contact, inadequate preparation time, and worries over attrition, the first 4-6 weeks of the league season are generally devoted to getting the kinks out. The NFL doesn't seem to care much about the quality of their product, just as they don't care much about the behavior of the players, owners or their employees. They think that they have a bullet-proof product, and so far we've proven them right.

Last edited:
I quit smoking five years ago, but I need a cigarette after that. That was remarkably cathartic.

Great stuff, Zeus. I can offer comments only around the margins:

2. Cant’ Block, Can’t Tackle, Can’t Win

5....Today’s NFL demands discipline and accountability, but I guess that only applies to The Hired Help.

2. Coach Taylor would be proud.

5. I am sure that the racial implications implied in your word choice are front-and-center in the players' minds. Fans have no pride, but players have it in buckets. It is only a matter of time before the combination of unaccountability on one side and draconian discipline on the other blows-up in the face of NFL HQ.

Totally agree with point 3. This is the tactic I felt like Bellichik was employing the entire pre-season. Afte last years rash of injuries who can blame him? If we have a mostly healthy team come playoff time I doubt people will remember the struggles to start the year. I don't really care about regular season records as long as the patriots get hot from weeks 14-Super Bowl.

3. Not Ready for Prime Time - Was Bill Belichick’s biggest objective in preseason getting his team to September in one piece, perhaps prioritizing health over preparation? Given the assorted torn ligaments, dislocated joints, shattered bones and vibrating crania being reported league-wide throughout training camp, it’s hard to argue with this approach. ..... It’s fair to wonder if the lack of preseason game action was a contributing factor in the uneven play we observed Sunday, not so much from a conditioning standpoint, but with respect to the team’s ability to execute on a cohesive basis. It’s a tough choice, but if you’re going to try to win a War of Attrition, you might as well show up with as many able bodies as possible.

Agree with a whole bunch you said, but 3-4 seemed the most astute observations and closely tied together.
Then throw this in from MAYOclinic...

Is it a coincidence that the Seattle Seahawks, who played the most complete game that I saw all week, were penalized for excessive physical contact during their minicamp?

So, yes it might be good to be healthier than the competition come Nov; but BB has ALWAYS put particular significance on winning 6 GAMES. Without winning at least 4 of those 6; it doesnt matter how healthy you are come Nov-Dec; your season likely stops at New Years. Right now we are 0-1-5 in those 6 AFCE games. That's not a good place to be.

Further, BB has always been one who emphasized practicing like you play. He does more situational play in practice than anyone and he was the one who innovated practicing with your opponent the week prior to a preseason game to get around the contact and practice-time limitation rules (if your O is practicing vs Gints D; your own D can focus on what it wants to do and not what the OC wants to do.). So IF HE DID CONSCIOUSLY LIMIT the 1st teamers for that reason; I would suggest that when he goes against some of his own basic philosophies, it bites him.

5. Go-to-Hell: God I hope he gets pushed to resign/fired. So much wrong with this guy; but he is accountable to 32 guys who havent shown they have a problem wiht him. I expect little.

6. NFL Owners: Other than issue in 5 above; I dont have a problem with what you complain about the owner-accountability issue. I am not sure why owners should be sanctioned for personal conduct by the league. While I personally would love to role-model Bob Kraft (make $100Ms somehow and then buy a NFL franchise); it aint likely to happen. For the most part the players are the "role-models" for the NFL viewing public (children); and the fact that they are quote-role models-unquote is the reason for the conduct policy. If the chairman of coca-cola got a dui would the entire US boycott coke for a day?

Sorry, I just dont get the correlation. I see it mostly as a FALSE-EQUITY issue. Most people think FAIR means EQUAL. Sorry, there is little in life that truly comes out EQUAL. A 90 IG guy and a 130 IQ guy both get the same FAIR chance at (# hours to take) the SAT; that they dont get the same score is NOT EQUAL but it certainly is FAIR. You dont have to have the same equal outcome to have been treated fairly in comparison to someone else.

7. Rice: Issue been killed, but Bottom Line: He is scum, but in talking about FAIRNESS; the nfl screwed up his punishment; & therefore it isnt FAIR to double-down and the NFL give themselves a do-over on the punishment level.

Double-jeopardy is a very old law (?common-law?) precept. I expect the year susp will be overturned at some point and the Ravens will still have to pay him his guaranteed money unless they had a good morals clause in his contract. As to whether anyone will want to touch a FA ray rice ???, but I hope not.

Just a really, really nice post Zeus. The thoughts were wonderful, and again let me compliment your writing style, it flows like music.

Echoing what Joker said in another informative thread by Unoriginal, I can't understand why there are so few responses to this superior thread, when there are endless responses to some other threads on subjects as to whether or not Player X sucks or not (and so forth, and so forth, ad infinitum), or are the Patriots finished after the result of the first game, etc. etc..

Thanks for taking it to a higher level.

2. Cant’ Block, Can’t Tackle, Can’t Win – Schemes and game plans can’t overcome poor fundamentals, mental errors and stupid penalties. After a respectable (and perhaps underrated) first half, the wheels came off in Miami. The third quarter alone was as bad as anything we’ve seen since Rod Rust’s team played that way on a weekly basis. It was an odd twist that the more Dolphin players left with injuries, the better Miami played, prompting the question as to whether they were playing the right guys in the first place. That’s two loses in a row at Miami. Let’s not forget that at home last year, the Patriots had to come back from a 17-3 halftime deficit to win 27-17 in a game that Miami had under control. A disturbing trend against an AFC East rival to say the least ….

Schemes & game plans also can't overcome lack of sufficient talent. You should not expect to
maintain a certain level of success when you waste 2nd-round draft picks since 2008 on the likes
of Terry Wheatley, Pat Chung, Busto Ron Brace, Jerry Cunnyham, Glas-IR Dowling & Tavon the
Error Repeater Wilson (and we're hoping that this year's 2nd-rounder doesn't play at all, if ever).
Thus we are forced to witness the incompetence of Wendell, Devey, Vellano et al.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes