PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This and That (Good Golly Miss Molly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1. Thank God it’s time for real football. Happy to see preseason arrive, much happier to see it go … What a relief to finally be able to watch a real football game where the best players play and there’s a game plan designed to actually try to win the game. Might coaches be using preseason games more to evaluate talent and less to prepare the real players for regular season competition? Just another reason that four preseason games are way too many …

2. Good Golly Miss Molly! –Was it Adderall (The Dog Ate My Homework excuse for drug test failures) or did somebody dose Wesley’s mint julep with Molly juiced with enough speed to separate him from both his senses and handfuls of $100 bills? Welker’s sense of bewilderment and outrage seems genuine, but we’ve seen the same act from people like Lance Armstrong and Ryan Braun. Positive tests are not accidents and the fact is that the offenders are not likely to be forthcoming about what actually happened.

Still, the NFL drug policy makes little sense. Maybe the league should just focus on PEDs, letting the criminal justice system deal with marijuana and various other controlled substances. The collectively bargained drug policy is unnecessarily punitive in its application of suspensions and fines where treatment and counseling are far more likely to be of therapeutic value. Maybe someone can educate me as to precisely who is better off now that the league has suspended Josh Gordon indefinitely for having trace amounts of The Evil Weed in his bloodstream.

3. Will Gronk Play? - It’s amusing to watch BB industriously stuffing the cat that Gronk let out back into the proverbial bag. It’s too bad Gronk shot his mouth off - I was looking forward to a reenactment of the 2007 Randy Moss Sandbag Caper. You may recall that after tweaking a hammy early on, Moss spent the bulk of the 2007 training camp in virtual witness protection, resulting in unfounded rumors about how the bad blood between the team and Moss would likely result in the release of the enigmatic receiver. For the record, Moss burned the jets on opening day with 9 receptions for 181 yards and a touchdown. We’ll see if Gronk can put on a similar show on Sunday.

4. Value -The conventional wisdom is that you can’t have one guy be coach and GM because the coach’s survival instincts will create short term needs that will overwhelm the longer term perspective of the GM. So it’s at least interesting that Bill Belichick is so willing to defer the gratification of the New England Patriots. From the outside, it seems that the Patriots have imposed a strict discipline that requires performance and compensation to be in balance.

Many believe that the Patriots traded Logan Mankins because they are cheap, but that’s tantamount to saying that Bill Belichick is more concerned with Bob Kraft’s profits than winning football games. Does anybody really believe that?

It’s not about money, it’s about value. That’s the philosophy that determines who stays and who goes. As players age, they become less athletic and more prone to injury. The combined effects of these two inevitabilities can be surprisingly sudden. Once it’s determined that a player’s production no longer justifies his compensation, something's gotta give. It’s tempting to make exceptions for long time stalwarts like Logan Mankins. But in the end, it is the enforcement of this discipline over the past 14 years that has allowed the Patriots to remain among the NFL elite.

5. Uneasy Lies the Head that Wears the Crown - The notion that you’re only as good as your last game has created the impression that the Seahawks are the second coming of the 1985 Bears. So while the Hawks did indeed thrash the overmatched Broncos (who turtled at the first hint of adversity) in the Super Bowl, they also beat the 49ers in the NFC Championship game by the thinnest of margins.

One of the hardest things to overcome in sports is success. Pete Carroll lost two NFL head coaching jobs because of his unwillingness or inability to hold people accountable. It will be no surprise if Seattle opens the season on a tear but sustaining that through the long haul of a 16 game season and the playoffs that follow is another thing altogether. There’s a reason no team has repeated since 2004. Maybe the Seahawks are good enough to overcome the distractions and complacency that accompany a championship. Time will tell.

6. The 2014 Festival of the Yellow Flag was supposed to include a crackdown on offensive pass interference. The so-called Competition Committee may well have legislated the screen pass out of existence with phony downfield blocking fouls. How dumb of me to imagine that the focus would instead be on pick plays. Of course, cleaning that up would have the unacceptable side effect of deflating the stupendously bloated stats of the league’s most precious asset, The Gigantic Forehead. So that’s Out of the Question.

7. The Professional Sports League That Cried Wolf – One of the problems with throwing a flag on just about every play is that fans will almost universally regard even the most blatant infractions with contempt. The bright side is that the paying customers will now be able to while away the hours required to watch an entire game hooting at the tormented Zebras, who will no doubt need significant professional help to endure the resulting trauma.

8. Pinocchio - It’s NFL officiating chief Dean Blandino’s job to put a Happy Face on the weekly cavalcade of officiating screw-ups. How much does Dean get paid for lying through his teeth? It was Blandino who publicly declared Wes Welker’s blindside hit on Aquib Talib in the AFC Championship game to be legal because it was “almost simultaneous” with the pass reception. This newly invented fiction qualifies for the Creative Prevarication Hall of Fame. It was a bald faced lie.

Last edited:
In regard to item 8, that play was nothing compared to the end of the Carolina game. I still want to find out where that coward red neck lives (assuming somewhere in the Carolinas) so I can drop a flaming bag of dog poop on his stoop with no explanation...And my dog takes big poops!

Nice work, Zeus. On point #4, my only addition to your definition of value is that football is a young man's game. The flip side of Mankins reaching an age of diminishing returns is that young guys don't develop into capable veterans unless they get snaps and learn against players better than themselves. We opine about whether these rookies and second year guys are any good, when in reality, the only way to find out what they might be capable of is to get them on the field and let the coaches bring them along. Mankins' presence will be missed, but in the end he was delaying the growth of guys like Kline and Cannon. One door closes and another one opens.

Bumping this piece of work back up to the top of the forum, where it belongs.

I have a feeling that a lot of people have missed this, which would really be a shame.

Sad to say that this effort has only had about the same number of views in a day and a half as the 'Gronk House Party' satire thread has had in two hours.

4. Value -The conventional wisdom is that you can’t have one guy be coach and GM because the coach’s survival instincts will create short term needs that will overwhelm the longer term perspective of the GM. So it’s at least interesting that Bill Belichick is so willing to defer the gratification of the New England Patriots. From the outside, it seems that the Patriots have imposed a strict discipline that requires performance and compensation to be in balance.
While the 2 seem to be at odds (Coach and GM), I'm sure Kraft and BB are on the same page (or were when BB fist started). Bill has been here so long and no doubt cares about the organization and will always do what is best for the long term/sustained success of the team. While the rules have always been fairly similar, BB always evaluates his own process and seems willing to change. Fortunately, his winning formula is fairly consistent. but, you match that with his ability to perceive the league tendencies and you get what we have. Also, I think people underestimate how hard it is to keep picking near the bottom of the draft and to continue with success.
It’s not about money, it’s about value. That’s the philosophy that determines who stays and who goes. As players age, they become less athletic and more prone to injury. The combined effects of these two inevitabilities can be surprisingly sudden. Once it’s determined that a player’s production no longer justifies his compensation, something's gotta give. It’s tempting to make exceptions for long time stalwarts like Logan Mankins. But in the end, it is the enforcement of this discipline over the past 14 years that has allowed the Patriots to remain among the NFL elite.
BB did get his degree in economics and he is willing to be wrong with too soon than too late. another point about long term success is players may tend to believe that they are better than their abilities. That can lead to issues with players/agents thinking they have more value than they really do on the open market. in some cases they may be right, but it's another thing that makes continues success more difficult. One thing that journalists and (other) fans don't really appreciate and is a real reason they stick with the mantra that we must be doing something underhanded.

It's really that BB is a great teaching coach, knows what it takes to win in this league, evaluates players fairly, and (most important) prepares them to do their job so the whole machination works better together (which is why freelancing is frowned upon). I remember hearing a story on how well BB is prepared for everything and how all the little things are managed and accounted for. With all the little crap out the way, the players can focus on the bigger things. Like learning the system and playing football.

One last note on players/values. I think Brady recognizes this and signs team friendly deals. He cares about winning more than most players (not that he has to worry about money). He doesn't associate pay with respect. He's all about winning.

Many believe that the Patriots traded Logan Mankins because they are cheap, but that’s tantamount to saying that Bill Belichick is more concerned with Bob Kraft’s profits than winning football games. Does anybody really believe that?

Then you have the Buffalo Bills:

Bills coach Doug Marrone is reportedly not seeing eye to eye with the team’s front office.

Marrone got into a loud verbal altercation on the practice field with several team officials, according to Jason La Canfora of CBS.

According to La Canfora, Marrone and director of player personnel Jim Monos got into a profane shouting match, and General Manager Doug Whaley tried to break it up as they cursed at each other. Finally Russ Brandon, who has been in charge of the organization since the late owner Ralph Wilson died, stepped in to stop it. Mike Rodak of ESPN reported last week that Marrone, Whaley, and Brandon were having an animated conversation on the practice field.

The tensions apparently arise from differing opinions of some of the team’s personnel. Offensive tackle Cyrus Kouandjio, receiver Robert Woods and guard Kraig Urbik are all apparently better players in the eyes of the personnel department than in the eyes of the coaching staff.

Doug Marrone and the Bills front office reportedly quarreling | ProFootballTalk

Followed by:

Marrone's frustration arises from Orton signing | ProFootballTalk

Doug Marrone says report of argument just not true | ProFootballTalk

Hey, at least our coach and GM see eye-to-eye.

I have a feeling that a lot of people have missed this, which would really be a shame.

Sad to say that this effort has only had about the same number of views in a day and a half as the 'Gronk House Party' satire thread has had in two hours.

I agree, this post was wonderful to read, both because of the content (which was very illuminating), and because of the very nice flow of the writing.

Although Zeus is not one of the most common posters on this site, I have heard from some other posters (who I respect) that Zeus is one of the most knowledgable posters (along with Ken and a few others). Based on this post, I agree, I would love to see weekly posts during the season from Zeus.

Last edited:

I agree, jmt57. The work by Zeus is superb, and I enjoy it immensely.

It's also on the front page of the website as well though, so hopefully it's getting some attention there as well.

I agree, jmt57. The work by Zeus is superb, and I enjoy it immensely.

It's also on the front page of the website as well though, so hopefully it's getting some attention there as well.
Thank god for jmt, because I would have missed this excellent addition. One of the more interesting comments was about how hard it is to repeat in this league and what a REMARKABLE thing the Pats have done these last 13 years.

There is no question in my mind that for a single season, the best team in NFL history were the Chicago Bears of 85. However, to truly understand how rare what the Pats have done really is, it is important to note that coming off their historic season, the Bears continued their dominance and wound up with something like a 14-2 record the next season. However, IIRC they lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs that year and didn't make it back to the playoffs for the next DECADE. :eek: It's really hard to keep winning in a league when everything is designed to penalize success.

IMHO, had the 2007 patriots had a similar strength SB opponent to what Chicago did, most would consider the 2007 patriots the best team every (for a single season).

Thank god for jmt, because I would have missed this excellent addition. One of the more interesting comments was about how hard it is to repeat in this league and what a REMARKABLE thing the Pats have done these last 13 years.

There is no question in my mind that for a single season, the best team in NFL history were the Chicago Bears of 85. However, to truly understand how rare what the Pats have done really is, it is important to note that coming off their historic season, the Bears continued their dominance and wound up with something like a 14-2 record the next season. However, IIRC they lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs that year and didn't make it back to the playoffs for the next DECADE. :eek: It's really hard to keep winning in a league when everything is designed to penalize success.

You can probably just "Follow Zeus" if you like his posts.

You can probably just "Follow Zeus" if you like his posts.
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what "following" entails on this site (I'm not a Twitter type), but I'll give it a try.

Great weekly post as usual Zeus. I agree with and enjoyed reading (as if it were a newspaper or magazine article) all 8 of your points.

On point 4, I agree that in a league with a hard salary cap, production should always equal or exceed cost. But in the case of Mankins, although he was likely overpaid relative to the rest of the payroll, there just wasn't a viable alternative ready to assume the starting job at LG. And if Bill knew during the off-season that Mankins wasn't earning his keep, then why wasn't he more aggressive in finding a worthy replacement?

Staying true to the business model is praiseworthy, but not having a true Plan B looks foolhardy.

And if Bill knew during the off-season that Mankins wasn't earning his keep, then why wasn't he more aggressive in finding a worthy replacement?

Belichick spent three draft picks on the offensive line last spring, on top of developing young talent for several years (Soldier, Vollmer, Cannon, Kline, etc.)

IMHO, had the 2007 patriots had a similar strength SB opponent to what Chicago did, most would consider the 2007 patriots the best team every (for a single season).

Had we not experienced the bullsh*t that is known as SB 42, I think many would have considered the 2007 team the best of all-time, even if it weren't necessarily true.

That "contest' had a stink that reeks to this day.

Great weekly post as usual Zeus. I agree with and enjoyed reading (as if it were a newspaper or magazine article) all 8 of your points.

On point 4, I agree that in a league with a hard salary cap, production should always equal or exceed cost. But in the case of Mankins, although he was likely overpaid relative to the rest of the payroll, there just wasn't a viable alternative ready to assume the starting job at LG. And if Bill knew during the off-season that Mankins wasn't earning his keep, then why wasn't he more aggressive in finding a worthy replacement?

Staying true to the business model is praiseworthy, but not having a true Plan B looks foolhardy.

It's a fair point. Belichick's judgment seems to be that he can get similar (or at least adequate) production from the other OLs he has available. I don't think he's prone to acting rashly and the Mankins deal made sense to him (or he wouldn't have done it).

The interesting question is whether that judgment proves to be correct. (And there's no guarantee that it is.) That's something we'll watch unfold over the upcoming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back