PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This actually looks kind of cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Pat Patriot on the helmet is (1.) it doesn't work from a distance, and (2.) its early '60s cartoon motif didn't age well. When you can't make out the details -- which happens from longer than 20 yards away -- it looks like an amorphous static tripod. Flying Elvis might look contrived, but at least it works as a logo, especially on the helmet showing "forward motion." The central problem with Pat is its dated style. Artists haven't drawn like that in more than 50 years and it looks like what it is -- an old-fashioned cartoon image. It works as nostalgia (if you don't mind its association with decades of losing) but little else.

Ooo, you stepped all over my aesthetic with amorphous. Well done. How long you been waiting to whip that one out? lol.
And you're right about the old helmets looking like a tripod blob from far away and the animated style being outdated. But gez, is nothing sacred these days?
And like you've seen me note before about the "decades of losing" myth... reference 1976 to 1988. Twelve winning records, one losing season, and one .500 campaign. Decades of being stuck behind The Dolphins in the devision is more like it. Perennially losing? Not so much.
You call 2007 a losing season too?
What, you see 3 winning seasons since 1960? That your standard?

I dunno how to do the multi quote thingie like you did, so I'll just ramble and u can see if you can match 'em up -
How's about this for a bargain? Next time a newer Prog band you feature in your magazine headlines Madison Square Garden, I'll buy a subscription. I'll buy three, even more better. Current Prog being relegated to the state fair circuit depresses me after being raised on a gluttonous diet of glitzy arena tours.
Rest in peace, Peter Banks, btw. He was trending #1 on Yahoo when it happened. I was so happy for him, in a morbid kinda way.

And lastly, you rule for knowing Dean. Next time you see him, tell him not to walk around clutching his folder up against his chest like a girl. hee hee.

Hey, know what would be a good helmet logo for The Patriots?

Warhol soup cans! The New England Clam Chowder label one.
Boy, they'd really aesthetically thumb their noses at the rest of the league with that move. (There. I used it again in a sentence. I had to drag it out from underneath your amorphous, unwrinkle it, smooth it out, and tack it back up here. Like a kid whose drawing falls of the kitchen refrigerator and gets trampled underfoot. Ahh gez... cue the clavinet.)

Last edited:
I dunno how to do the multi quote thingie like you did, so I'll just ramble and u can see if you can match 'em up -

hey, Dingdongster....see this icon next to "quote" at the bottom of your post ..
multiquote_off.gif
?...it's the multi quote function....even you should be able to muddle through the intricacies of basic forum posting....:crutch:

The top one - meh. I hate the FLying Elvis.

The bottom one - absolutely. Best combo I've seen. Maybe just add a blue front-to-back-stripe at the top
of the helmet to go with the red facemask, or vice versa.

I still like the blue jerseys that had the stripes in them the most.

tumblr_leukdyoSA21qde76co1_250.jpg

Excellent question. It was an obvious mistake from the very beginning as far as I'm concerned. They apparently were going for an American flag-like combo of red/white/blue, but chose the wrong color for the jersey. Credit previous owner Orthwein with making the historically correct switch to blue.

And I prefer Orthwein's colonial blue to Kraft's darker blue.

How's about this for a bargain? Next time a newer Prog band you feature in your magazine headlines Madison Square Garden, I'll buy a subscription. I'll buy three, even more better. Current Prog being relegated to the state fair circuit depresses me after being raised on a gluttonous diet of glitzy arena tours.

There's no "current" prog on the state fair tour circuit -- a lot of older acts, though. And the last thing I'd really like to see is a current prog band headlining MSG (that screams commercial sellout). It's all about artistry, baby, and we know the masses can't recognize it or have the patience it requires. Check out: Ozric Tentacles, Steven Wilson, the Flower Kings, Unitopia, Emilie Autumn, Dream Theater and Stick Men for a wide-ranging sampling of fresh blood. ;)

There's no "current" prog on the state fair tour circuit -- a lot of older acts, though. And the last thing I'd really like to see is a current prog band headlining MSG (that screams commercial sellout). It's all about artistry, baby, and we know the masses can't recognize it or have the patience it requires. Check out: Ozric Tentacles, Steven Wilson, the Flower Kings, Unitopia, Emilie Autumn, Dream Theater and Stick Men for a wide-ranging sampling of fresh blood. ;)

Dream Theater are pretty big & have a long history. Kinda "second tier" Prog, alongside Marillion. My Vermont maple syrup totin' friend has been trying to sell me on Porcupine Tree lately but I'm just too much of a soot covered ratty New Yorker. I used to listen to Delicious Agony prog webradio a few years back. They had a sweet steaming signal & trippy homepage graphics with dj's and stuff.
And you make a good point about today's masses not recognizing or having the listening patience. Didn't use to be like that.
Well, I had a good time today and you made a good thread topic with which to use as a jumping off point to riff & expand upon.

I still think u have a guilty pleasure 1990's Buffalo Bills uniform fetish tho.

hey, Dingdongster....see this icon next to "quote" at the bottom of your post ..
multiquote_off.gif
?...it's the multi quote function....even you should be able to muddle through the intricacies of basic forum posting....:crutch:

Joker, you should know the drill by now -

"Caught... in the wheels of progress"

Next stop?

Yucca Flats.

"Flag on the moon. How did it get there?"
"A man dead...a woman's purse... and footprints on the wasteland"
"Nothing bothers some people. Not even flying saucers"

Found this helmet on eBay. While I love the navy-silver combination, this would look ultra-sharp with the navy jersey and red pants w/red and silver accents.

My first thought was "Who put a Patriots logo on a Bills helmet." Will the next be on a Jets green helmet?

That might be why it looks good :p

But that brings up this question....why did the New England PATRIOTS opt to wear red which is what the British soldiers wore?

Ask Billy Sullivan what he was smoking. Hey, no judgement. It was the '60s

And you already know how I feel about the Pat Patriot helmet. It was gorgeous. Scribe, it's esthetically pleasing to the eye. And the throwback jerseys' red color bursts off the television screen at you, especially big fatty Wilfork's #75. It's a great shade of deep-ish red.

And I think you are one of a troop of fools with rose colored nostalgia glasses.

Pat Patriot looks like a guy taking a dump.

And red uniforms are of the team that went 2-14. Twice. Crowds chanted for the third string Matt Cavanaugh to go in for a healthy Grogan in red jerseys. Eason stayed in even when not ready and kept Grogan out in a red jersey. They were great in 1976 in red jerseys, but the season ended as it did in red jerseys. In 1985 they got revenge on the raider while in red jerseys, but the faced the Bears in red.

F*** red. F*** morons who forget that red SUCKS.

So does the guy dropping a deuce.

Oh, I left out 1-15 in red jerseys.

Dream Theater are pretty big & have a long history. Kinda "second tier" Prog, alongside Marillion. My Vermont maple syrup totin' friend has been trying to sell me on Porcupine Tree lately but I'm just too much of a soot covered ratty New Yorker. I used to listen to Delicious Agony prog webradio a few years back. They had a sweet steaming signal & trippy homepage graphics with dj's and stuff.
And you make a good point about today's masses not recognizing or having the listening patience. Didn't use to be like that.
Well, I had a good time today and you made a good thread topic with which to use as a jumping off point to riff & expand upon.

I still think u have a guilty pleasure 1990's Buffalo Bills uniform fetish tho.

You know, I do have a slightly weird thang for mid- to late-'90s Patriots fashion culture, including the Starter/Pro Line fan gear. Those subtly striped home blue jerseys were one of a kind.

You know, I do have a slightly weird thang for mid- to late-'90s Patriots fashion culture, including the Starter/Pro Line fan gear. Those subtly striped home blue jerseys were one of a kind.

The '93 & '94 unis are just so freaking weird. They lasted one season a piece.

And I don't know what they were thinking with the '94 season throwback pant stripes. They were supposed to be replicas of the 1965 version (hence, the blue middle stripe on the throwback helmet which wasn't present in the '09 style, which was reminiscent of the '63 helmet)
There. Is that lovingly anal enuff fer ya? You want me to go through all the personnel and lineup configurations of Yes 1969-2013? Picture 249.jpg

Picture 251.jpg

I'd kill for a '93 or '94 away jersey. Especially a '93 with the disconnected outline around the red numbers on the chest & back red numbers. Then someone decided to make the shoulder numbers blue with no outline. Gawd, that's so whack. The rarity is what makes it so choice.

and here's the '94 throwback.

Attachments

• Picture 162.jpg
    Picture 162.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 39
Not bad, I'd still rather just go pat the patriot.

Too much white in those unis. They almost look like pajamas or long johns.

all this uniform talk is ultimately an exercise in futility....in a few scant years, Baddell will have the teams in tutu's doing ballet plie's....

demi-plie-posiciones-.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing