Third down still a problem for the D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve102

Any Man Who Must Say I Am The King Is No True King
PatsFans.com Supporter
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The New England Patriots have been plagued by one consistent problem this season. Defensively, they have not been able to get off the field on third down. After two excellent games defensively against the Jets and Bears, fans were optimistic that he problem had been rectified. After the Green Bay Packers game, it's very clear the issue is still there.

Injuries to the D line, specifically Mike Wright, are contributing to the problem.

The Voice of The Fan: FVP: Patriots Third Down Efficiency Still A Problem

It's hard to draw any conclusions from that game given how depleted the DL is. I hope at least 2 of the 4 injured regular contributors can get back to full strength so we can regain some momentum on defense heading into the playoffs.

Regardless, we are most likely going to have 2 weeks to rest up for the AFC playoffs so I think we'll see the defense in the form it was during the Jets/Bears games. On paper it could potentially be better if Wright/Pryor ever make it back.

A lot of things are still a problem for the D. Most of them have no solutions this season other than experience and being covered up by the O. The team has still found a way to get to 12-2

At this point, it's Super Bowl or bust, regardless of the problems the D has.

Last edited:
Seems like it's getting better in third and longer than 5, although that might be my imagination. The Packers were making positive yards pretty often on 1st and 2d down, so it seemed like many of the third downs were more manageable, but, by and large, when we got them into third and long, we took better care of business. Of course, this may all be my imagination -- just my sense.

Aye. The 3rd and 1st defense definitely reared it's ugly head again in this game. Not sure how much of it had to do with Wright and Pryor being out and how much of it had to do with Brace being out. Green Bay was chewing up large chunks of yardage on the ground on first and second down setting up reasonable third downs. Toward the end of the game, they had some trouble converting third and a longs, so that's a good sign.

I was particularly perplexed by the 3rd and 18 that the Bears were able to convert in the snow storm. That should never happen.

This was strongly overlooked because the Patriots dominated and the Bears still didn't get any points on the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes