In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone think PATs could use more 2-5-4 in an attempt to get a
better pass rush on passing downs?
How about a front seven of

-------------- Warren-----Seymour
Vrabel------Seau-----Mayo-----Guyton----Colvin

Think BB might get a better pass rush out of that configuration?
Several permutations of that line up could also be effective.
like:
Guyton----Vrabel-----Seau----Mayo----Colvin

I think BB could do some inventive things to free a rusher
with these players in a configuration something like this.
Any thoughts?

I think Bruschi is banged up, Guyton has been taking more snaps in running situations. My personal feeling is that Seau will rotate in at SILB in the base 3-4 to spell Bruschi. I don't know if he has the speed to be on the field in the nickel package anymore, but I'm willing to have him prove me wrong.

I'll continue to advocate for using Wilfork in nickel packages - just looking at the package you've drawn up, I personally think that Wilfork has been successful in the nickel packages this year - and that guys like AD, Colvin, Vrabel can force the QB up, and with the big fellow Vince in there, there's no room to go for the QB. Seymour has been an excellent pass rusher this year, so the personnel to get a good rush is there.

I posted something like this in another thread and I'm glad to see the discussion.

We simply have to get more aggressive on D somehow. I think it will improve our CB's greatly, as well.

I like the Idea of flipping that scenario with Guyton, Mayo and Seau (and Colvin?) being plusses in coverage either for speed or diagnosis.

How about a 4-4-3 (could also be 4-5-2 depending on the safety play)

Wright/Green/Smith, Warren, Wilfork, Seymour
--------------------------------------------
Guyton, Seau, Mayo, Vrabel/Colvin
----------------------------------
Hobbs, Meriweather, O'Neal/Wilhite/Richardson

A basic Nickel will probably be effective against Seattle, but it would be good to some power scenarios to try on AZ and BUF.

I'll continue to advocate for using Wilfork in nickel packages - just looking at the package you've drawn up, I personally think that Wilfork has been successful in the nickel packages this year - and that guys like AD, Colvin, Vrabel can force the QB up, and with the big fellow Vince in there, there's no room to go for the QB. Seymour has been an excellent pass rusher this year, so the personnel to get a good rush is there.

Wilfork is very athletic for such a big man. I think that's a big plus he has over many NT's in the same size category. I agree that he could be excellent in the Nickel with Seymour, and I really think Seau will improve the pass rush by replacing (if not upgrading) what Vrabel has to do in coverage, letting him blitz (on passing downs, of course). Seau should be better in coverage from an instincts/diagnosis POV than the rookies and is likely quicker than Mike V. when he has to help cover.

Wilfork is very athletic for such a big man. I think that's a big plus he has over many NT's in the same size category. I agree that he could be excellent in the Nickel with Seymour

And it makes the unit bigger, which to me, is important. Speed is important on the edge, power in the middle.

AD going down is a huge blow to the plans, so, we better hope Colvin still has it. I also am confident in Seau, I don't think a guy like him suddenly loses it or gets out of shape. He was 38 last year and played at a high level, I think the reality is this guy is an exception to the aging rule, and I think he'll do fine.

Still am not convinced that there will be a huge pass rush from our LB's... our DB's suck, pure and simple and they need all the help they can..

all i know is that 3rd down defense will get better in long yardage situations. right now, id say opponents are converting around 94%. so, cant get much worse....i think

I think Bruschi is banged up, Guyton has been taking more snaps in running situations.
I haven't seen that - the Steelers specifically used passing formations to set up NE's Nickel which had Guyton in for Buschi, then ran the ball using their big WRs to block. Games where Guyton has gotten more reps have all seen more Nickel, though I have been pleased with Gary's play against the run - he's not afraid of taking on OL head-on and more often than not does close the running lane.

like:

Any thoughts?

The Beginning of the End of this Defense!

Last edited:
Stop playing 2 or 3 DL as it just is not working.

put ty , vince and seymour the best 3 player in the front seven in their

LB - Mayo ,Guyton/Colvin,Bru/Seau,Vrabel -

here is a clue over power the Line using the strength of the big boys all this messing with confusing is confusing our rookies and execution suffers.let our strength beat them . some times you need to let player play and not think too much.

Last edited:
My case would be to change a few things.

First, I would go out there and get some situational guys who can rush with their hand down and still be stout at the POA. Names like Tuck come to mind. Draft a few 43 DE's and make them situational player. There's no need to unnecessarily deal with the conversion of college ends to backers. Wondering if they have the hips or the intellect to make the jump. Let the young, fast guys put their hands down and fill the OLB spots via free agency when you know what a guy brings to the table.

I'm not saying go out and draft three Elvis Dumervils and make them your line, just get some quick guys who can put their hands down. Then, take Wilfork and leave him over center or a strongside shade in the subpackages. Have a stout inside guy who can blowup guards at mike, a rangy guy at will and a Mayo type at sam. Run the 33 nickel and rush four guys a snap. Stunt, loop cause confusion in passing situations.

The problem is that our front 7 is a run defense that without Thomas is pretty inept against the pass. The shortest time frame for change is to bring in a couple of 43 ends and turn them loose situationally while we let the linebackers be coverage/run/occasional blitzers. I know, sounds great in theory, but the practicality of my dream world is likely nil.

With there being a good chance that Warren is out, then I wouldn't be surprised to see the pats go to a 2-5 formation several times Sunday.

With there being a good chance that Warren is out, then I wouldn't be surprised to see the pats go to a 2-5 formation several times Sunday.

You mean like every time we are in third down this year. we just do not have the personal to do this.guyton and mayo are around 235-240lb are going to not generate and penerate a 300 lb gaurd inside.

but thrid down is going to improve because seau ,colvin will read a play faster than our rookie and will make an impact.if we can get a few 3 and outs we will win

Last edited:

like:

Any thoughts?

Who would cover anyone in that formation? You would expect that the offense will have at least 3 WR and a TE on the field. Sure you may get a pass rush but the slot WR and TE will be open by ten yards.

This defense has gone from embarrassing to whatever is worse that embarrassing.

Sure you may get a pass rush but the slot WR and TE will be open by ten yards.

I believe it's a variant of my "11-man blitz" package: we'll trade your precious little touchdown for the death of your QB :D:p

Last edited:
Who would cover anyone in that formation? You would expect that the offense will have at least 3 WR and a TE on the field. Sure you may get a pass rush but the slot WR and TE will be open by ten yards.

This defense has gone from embarrassing to whatever is worse that embarrassing.

You think all 5 LB's would be rushing the passer? :confused:

times might just run the ball on us with a 2 man line maybe...

i could see something like is on third and long, but isn't that like every LB we have?

we need to preserve them at this point

Another option would be let the D-line do what they really want and play one-gap instead of two, in a 4-3 alignment. Seymour wants it, Wilfork did it at the U, (we forget his nickname was "Baby Sapp") and it's perfect for Green and Wright. All 4 of those guys are quick enough to get after it if they were allowed to cut loose. They might give up a draw or two, but frankly, I don't see Rosie or Seau making a differnce inputting pressure on the QB. The best we can hope is that the 3 LB's on the field can cover a TE or RB out of the backfield.

Rothlisberger really exposed our secondary and TE coverage. Even tho he didn't go to them much, He had the TE and Ward any time he wanted them. We never stopped a play to either guy. The only answer for this team to improve their chances is to get more consistent pressure on the QB. Any time a QB has time, we can't defend anything. We have to sell out like we were playing Tom Brady to stand a chance.

Last edited:
Another option would be let the D-line do what they really want and play one-gap instead of two, in a 4-3 alignment. Seymour wants it, Wilfork did it at the U, (we forget his nickname was "Baby Sapp") and it's perfect for Green and Wright. All 4 of those guys are quick enough to get after it if they were allowed to cut loose. They might give up a draw or two, but frankly, I don't see Rosie or Seau making a differnce inputting pressure on the QB. The best we can hope is that the 3 LB's on the field can cover a TE or RB out of the backfield.

Rothlisberger really exposed our secondary and TE coverage. Even tho he didn't go to them much, He had the TE and Ward any time he wanted them. We never stopped a play to either guy. The only answer for this team to improve their chances is to get more consistent pressure on the QB.

Sounds good to me. It pains me to see how little real pressure [yes that would be sacks or hits] that guys like Seymour, Warren and Green get on the QB. I understand much of the time it's due to a stop-the-run- first/gap control philosophy, but I wouldn't mind seeing that philosophy being tweaked at the very least.

I'm sure BB is proud to be one of the pioneers of the 3-4, or at least to have really brought it to its ultimate fruition with the Giants. Maybe he's too in love with it for that reason. The NFL has changed alot from the days when "Air Corriel" was thought to be a freakish, gimmicky offense. And we don't have any LTs, Banks or Carsons on this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes