PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thinking OUTSIDE the (draft) BOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

onegr8om

Practice Squad Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Okay, so i'm sure a LOT of us here are a little dissapointed about the way the 1st 3 rounds of the draft went today. I know in the pit of my stomach i was HOPING for a few players at both 28 AND 91. I thought maybe Posluzsny(sp?) or Harris at 28, Maybe Hughes or DeOssie at 91 and YES i was bothered when we seemingly traded both picks away for next year plus late rounders.

Then, as i was working, i began to think of WHY the Pats FO would do this. Why would Belichick or Pioli draft this way and i've got SOME ideas that make me feel a little better about today. Although the more i look at it, the more OK i am with what we've done.

1. Our perceived "needs" weren't as necessary as we thought. Bioli spent a good deal of $$$ this offseason filling what THEY thought were needs and came into the draft knowing it was Top(15) heavy and had picks to play with.

2. Asante Samuel could be signed and soon. Maybe salary cap ramifications played a role in todays draft and just by adding a Brandon Meriweather to this already STRONG team, that leaves room to get a deal done with Asante and has us looking SOLID heading into the season. We also will have more space for the Junior Seau type signings we've seen in the past.

3. Next years draft could be a doozy! We've already got 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. San Fran MIGHT be better than last year, but it seems like every team in their division got better too. They could be one injury away from a top 5 pick, and now its ours. Imagine picks 5 and 32 next year!? Oakland still has a way to go as well, so that 3rd rounder could be between pick#70-74 or so.

The fact of the matter is the Pats front office are not only smarter than us in football ops, but they also have the insider knowledge we're not privy to in making these decisions. We've fixed every hole we've had from last year so far and we've still got 3 rounds left tomorrow to play with. See, i feel better already! ;)

Oh, and I'm STILL hoping for Zak in round 4, but in BELICHICK I TRUST!

Your point about next year's draft is a salient one. I remember hearing on the Pats' radio thingy last night that 2008's class (especially with the Juniors) looks really good. The guy also said that there are loads of the bigger bodied type of LBs.
BB and Pioli have an element of job security, which allows them to plan for the long term and they have used it to their advantage.

I still say the Eagles with their third round picks at #87 and #90 are the Devil's spawn.

I still say the Eagles with their third round picks at #87 and #90 are the Devil's spawn.

Amen, Box, Amen.

Of course, I'm hoping we Pats fans get to sample some Eagle flambe this season. :)

Amen, Box, Amen.

Of course, I'm hoping we Pats fans get to sample some Eagle flambe this season. :)
I'm partial fowl dishes using the rotisserie with Lemon Pepper seasoning.

It occurs to me this thread title is dangerously close to heresy! :eek:

thank goodness. A thread with some sense in it. It seems like so many people are looking at the draft in isolation. The draft is part of building a team! The other parts are those players that you have now, and Free Agency. We went out and got players in Free Agency and we decided to load up on next year's draft. We still have a great team with our core players and the new additions from FA and new addition (so far) from the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back