PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Think the Pats will trade away draft pics on draft day? CBA may change that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teams may trade pics into future "at their own risk"

Well this throws a cog into our value setting of whats available and where.

Maybe Belichick starts moving up and targeting players he truly wants instead of trading pics into other years

Teams are already doing that, so I think the only possible "disaster" scenario is if the draft goes away permanently, and I can't see that happening.

What's more likely to happen, I think is some sort of arrangement in which instead of saying "2012 draft," the pick is placed in the "next draft held after the 2011 draft" (or similar wording), whenever that might be.

Teams are already doing that, so I think the only possible "disaster" scenario is if the draft goes away permanently, and I can't see that happening.

What's more likely to happen, I think is some sort of arrangement in which instead of saying "2012 draft," the pick is placed in the "next draft held after the 2011 draft" (or similar wording), whenever that might be.

I think you hit it right on the head here, but when I saw the post that the NFL sent memos to all 32 teams "warning" them about trading picks into next yr at their "own risk," it did make me think twice. I'd feel better if they just specified for future picks to come, as you suggested.

Maybe it's just another ploy of mind games, or maybe it will slightly effect Belichick's decision making about trading into the abyss of the 2012 draft. I'd have to agree though, that the unlikelihood of a 2012 draft seems slim, but the NFL is trying to portray some type of message here--just don't know all of the posturing specifics as of yet. I fail to believe it's as simple as 'you may lose your picks entirely,' that seems kind of weird to me.

Hmm weird... So we need to use ALL our picks??

Hmm weird... So we need to use ALL our picks??

Probably not, but the NFL did try a bit of a scare tactic yesterday by releasing a memo to all of the teams, warning them about trading their picks into the 2012 draft "at your own risk," meaning there is the possibility of no draft next year.

As ctpatsfan77 pointed out, it seems as though common sense would tell us that they'd come up with a system like "trading them into the next available draft," or something to that effect, but they haven't officially commented on that as of yet. I'm sure it'll become clearer very soon.

I'm sure we'll find out more to come in the next month or so, hopefully there will be good news, and it'll all be over with before the draft anyway.

I still expect the Pats to trade up this draft. The odds of a rookie cap when this draft class signs is still pretty good. The draft appears to be top heavy at several positions the Pats may be targetting (DE, o-line, LB). Don't be surprised if they package a second with one of their firsts to move up (or throw in the third).

I am sure they will still trade picks into the future. The odds there isn't a draft after 2011 is next to nothing. Even when the players decertified in the late 80s, the draft stayed. It is doubtful the players' antitrust suit will end the draft.

If the players push for this, it will show they do not care about the league since the draft is a big part of what makes this league so popular with the draft being the second most watched event for the NFL every year after the Super Bowl. If there is no draft, it will hurt the league more than just hurting the owners' pocketbook. In fact, it will hurt the players since they lose their share of the TV revenue that they get from ESPN and NFL Network.

Last edited:
Hmm...if you have a gambling spirit, you could see this as an opportunity. Traditionally, there's about a 1-round discount for a future pick, so you'd expect a 2009 3rd for your 2008 4th. Throw in the extra element of risk and the return should be even greater. Hey, you want my 2011 4th? You'd better give my your 2011 5th along with that 2012 3rd that Mr. Goodell says is soooo risky.

There is no way they owners give up the draft. therei way to much risk in haing all the players in college be free agents the Draft was around before hte NFLPA and will be there after it's bad business for the owners to bid on players coming out hte bottom teir of teams would get the equal to 5-7 rounders and the top teams get all the first and second rounders

There is no way they owners give up the draft. therei way to much risk in haing all the players in college be free agents the Draft was around before hte NFLPA and will be there after it's bad business for the owners to bid on players coming out hte bottom teir of teams would get the equal to 5-7 rounders and the top teams get all the first and second rounders

I agree. The risk of disruption to the whole College-Player acquisition would certainly make the NFL think twice or thrice about this.

Lower-tier teams with less money available would ALWAYS get the short end of the straw and it would destroy the parity that the league is so high on.

Right now, EVERY team's fans can realistically hope for that miracle season. I mean, seriously, Arizona made it to the Superbowl. You allow a few top-end, high-money teams to leverage all the talent and that destroys a fan base.

Probably not, but the NFL did try a bit of a scare tactic yesterday by releasing a memo to all of the teams, warning them about trading their picks into the 2012 draft "at your own risk," meaning there is the possibility of no draft next year.

As ctpatsfan77 pointed out, it seems as though common sense would tell us that they'd come up with a system like "trading them into the next available draft," or something to that effect, but they haven't officially commented on that as of yet. I'm sure it'll become clearer very soon.

I'm sure we'll find out more to come in the next month or so, hopefully there will be good news, and it'll all be over with before the draft anyway.

I agree that the likelihood of no draft in 2012 is low. Something is bound to get worked out well before that.

Knowing Belichick he'll turn that into an asset, and work trades that give him much higher value in 2012 to cover the risk that there'd be no draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots