Welcome to PatsFans.com

Think I might be lost......

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by E1Downey, Nov 9, 2012.

1. E1Downey

E1Downey Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is the political section right? Because the last couple threads I viewed honestly felt like I stumbled upon a heated pats/jets forum.

This is what we've become though, I see it everywhere. Blind support for your "team" and nothing but blind hate for the hated "rival team" Tribalism has taken over and meanwhile nothing gets accomplished....instead we move backwards. Let's give ourselves a round of applause. It's been a real ENTERTAINING show and **** it....that's all we care about.

We Americans are letting our insatiable appetite for entertainment ruin our political system and turn our citizenry into an embarrassment. Hopefully we grow up.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +196 / 5 / -6

Actually, it's hard to see, but there's a lot of affection for one another in this forum. While there are a few blind haters, most of us I think play in this forum because we enjoy the verbal jousting. That said, you always have people on the fringe who see the other person as the enemy of the state.

I also really don't think any of us have blind support for our team. I'm very liberal, so it's highly unlikely I'd support any Republican, but it doesn't mean I blindly support Obama. On Afghanistan, his lack of action on global warming, his lack of forcefulness in healthcare (so we ended up with the current system instead of single payer), his support of too big to fail, and other issues, I'm to the left of Obama.

And believe it or not, the moderators (I'm one) are doing more to tone down the forum a little bit, and if you have any suggestions or specific complaints let us know.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  3. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Rookie

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -1

Every so often someone comes in and says the same thing. Me included.

Then you stay for the satisfying arguing.

Yeah, it's kind of depressing and low if you think about it, but nobody here is seriously trying to change anyone's minds. We're here to stroke our own egos and embarrass opponents ;)
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

Doc, be honest with the guy....tell the truth.

We're all pretty effed up here!! A.D.D., Bi-Polar, manic, chronic, whatevah....yeah, that describes the members of the political forum (including me).

"Normal" people don't like to argue as much as we do...lets just admit it.

WE should re-name this board "Planters" cuz we're all a bit nuts.:p

except Harry Boy:D
  5. Patradomous

Patradomous Rookie

Ratings:
    +131 / 1 / -9

#87 Jersey

I've said many times I have nothing personal against some of these wack jobs.
    I laugh as much as get pissed.But its never ever personal with me.
  6. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Everything is in good fun for the most part, yes there are times when some people(me included) can get frustrated and things can get out of hand but its a rarity.

I agree with you, its stupid to put party infront of people....I vote for the person not the party, some others here can't say the same...

While I agree mostly with the views from the left, I also agree with some of the views of the right. I just don't like extremes....:cool:

I learned something very early in life, its never as bad as it seems and its never as good as it seems, life is always somewhere in the middle.;)
  7. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Good post.

I feel the same way. While my view is a little different in the sense that like more characteristics from the right than I do left, I think we should all learn to employ a better bi-partisan attitude. Like aforementioned, I don't like the extremist either.

People that include race, money and other non-factors are just to much. We won't ever move forward unless the republicans and democrats learn to "compromise" with another and give up some of their pride. I'm still very intrigued to see how this whole "Obamacare" deal with end up. To me, this is one of the main disagreements between the two parties.
  8. E1Downey

E1Downey Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Quite the foul mood I was in last night hehe. A lil better today though partly due to these responses. I haven't been around this part of PatsFans for too long and as such it would have been easy to think I'm some holyier than thou prick but none of you did.

Just for clarification, I didn't intend to criticize this forum. Have a few friends that are the epitome of what I described. So you can imagine how the rage has festered the past week. Anyway look forward to getting to know the regulars over on this side of P.Fans.
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +344 / 3 / -13

I agree with your opening post 100%. There are no "Teams" in American politics unless you choose to just be a blind follower E1.

It appears you're not...but we'll be keeping track....:D
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Its a spiral of insanity. E1....a horrible spiral....

just kidding

Even the people on this board who are always wrong, probably terrible looking, and certainly smell bad ... I genuinly enjoy their incorrect, ugly, stinking banter.

Part of the fun is when two sides HONESTLY disagree, and make pretty good cases, they can mostly end the thread with a joke, or an "agree to disagree". MOSTLY. The other part of the fun is when someone who you NEVER agree with sees eye to eye with you on an issue.

When the ENTIRE board agrees on something...the subject is usually in DEEP-DOO-DOO.

Welcome to the board! stick around, its fun if you don't take it or people like me too seriously.

HD

11. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +899 / 7 / -17

#87 Jersey

12. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +335 / 4 / -10

13. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -1

Your post is 100% right. As a country we are so worried about "our team" winning that we ignore the good of the country. This is where politics have led us. It is so sad to see people support a position that is so wrong just to support their team winning, and this is done on both sides equally.

On this message board you will find some incredibly, intelligent and eloquent posters who are a joy to read, and yet they still fall into the "my side is right no matter what" category :(

If the people on this message board (which I consider them to be a cut above normal) can not find a middle ground on common sense and decency, then what chance does our country have?
  14. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +335 / 4 / -10

as a country, we ARE one team

we just happen to resemble the jets locker room right now