Welcome to PatsFans.com

Think Hilton got preferential treatment?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by pats-blue, Jun 9, 2007.

1. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

With all the stupid Paris Hilton news and the "outrage"...please remember it is a suspended license charge (as a result of a DUI so it IS serious) but she isn't OJ or anything. I'm glad she is in jail, I would have been happy with her spending a week...by the way 5 days in jail is the usual for this charge.

Anyway. I am going to provide the link on a trial here I have some involvement in that was in the papers and was in court for this. I will point out a few things. First the person is a LEGAL immigrant and it is not any comment on that. Second I am posting this for the absurdity of the judges actions only...I have my own thoughts on what should happen to the guy when we catch him AGAIN...but that is a different thread..

http://www.azcentral.com/news/columns/articles/0609roberts0609.html
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Based on the info in the article, not only does the judge seem to be nuts, but so does the whole legal system. What's been going on the previous 8 years?

That said, the Paris Hilton saga gets more attention because it's not tragic, it's absurd. These days there are plenty of tragedies to choose from.
  3. pats-blue

pats-blue Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I personally would like to see more good stories in general but those don't generate ratings (dumbing down of America IMO....everyone WANTS to see others either dragged down or worse off them themselves instead of just living a good clean life and working hard)

I really can't comment on the case much, well really at all but he might not have been in the area in those 8 years......
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -26

From a Corrections point of view, these cases are a pain in the ass, on many different levels.. but this one may have to do with liability, if she committed suicide there would be hell to pay and she probably could have been committed to a less secure facility or even be put in a half way house with electronic monitoring. The whole celebrity incarceration thing is getting out of hand, they are put in cushy places and virtually can pretty much do what they want to do anyways. This is not Leavenworth or a comparable facility.

What they should have done, but not sure about the resources, is automatically put her in a "high visibility" cell and give her a paper gown where they could watch her 24/7 to protect her from herself. The worse thing about this is that she would be bored to death, the other side of this is not only do you have to protect her from herself, but she is such a high profile for inmates who wish to attain status. When I was in the business, had a few high profile cases, these usually wind up being tons of trouble and create a lot of dissension amongst the inmates and staff..