PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Things to keep in mind for next year's draft conversations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
From today's press conference:

Third cornerback = 12th starter. In an Xs and Os part of the press conference, Belichick was asked about the recent trend in the NFL of teams placing a higher value on third corners, a result of more offenses spreading the field. Belichick agreed, while revealing that the Patriots have re-valued/re-graded parts of their draft board and the way they value certain positions, such as a third receiver, third corner, third-down running back, or a second- or third-down pass rusher compared to other positions.

Third cornerback = 12th starter. In an Xs and Os part of the press conference, Belichick was asked about the recent trend in the NFL of teams placing a higher value on third corners, a result of more offenses spreading the field. Belichick agreed, while revealing that the Patriots have re-valued/re-graded parts of their draft board and the way they value certain positions, such as a third receiver, third corner, third-down running back, or a second- or third-down pass rusher compared to other positions.

The corner I like best in this year's draft is Burnett of UCF, if he runs well and toughens up vs. the run a bit.
The other corner I like is the kid from Kentucky, Litteral? somerthing like that. If he runs well, he looks like a natural in BB's soft zone defense.

The corner I like best in this year's draft is Burnett of UCF, if he runs well and toughens up vs. the run a bit.
The other corner I like is the kid from Kentucky, Litteral? somerthing like that. If he runs well, he looks like a natural in BB's soft zone defense.

Are either of these guys better than Malcolm Jenkins, in your opinion? Or the kid from Illinois, Vontae Davis?

Last edited:
I tend to look at college players and immediately try to project them in terms of what I think the Pats look for in players at that position.

To that end, I can't see Jenkins working well in the Pats secondary, there is no quick twitch from him.

I think Davis is only going to be a junior this year and although a saw a few Illinios games last year, I really don't remember him catching my eye. I will scope him out more this year.

I think the farthest north my production crew goes this year is Maryland, but hopefully I will have some down time to watch an Illinios game or two.

I should ask only half kidding if the 3rd CB is so valuable how come the Patriot CBs are so average?

I should ask only half kidding if the 3rd CB is so valuable how come the Patriot CBs are so average?

Because we played a soft zone, bend but don't break, defense. We used to play soft until teams got inside our 40, then BB dialed up tigher coverages, exotic coverages, and/or blitzes.

This year from what everyone is reporting, BB's secondary is playing tighter coverage all over the field and having decent success against most Pat WRs not named Moss.

From this point of view, it makes sense that mid round picks were used on Crable and Wilhite instead of on OT/DL depth.

From this point of view, it makes sense that mid round picks were used on Crable and Wilhite instead of on OT/DL depth.

I don't know, I still think that football games are won and lost in the lines and it is eaier to find a 3rd CB than a decent quality OT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots