PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Things I learned from the game (Seahawks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
It was a funny feeling watching the game yesterday. In many discussions here and across the web, no one seriously expected the Seahawks to hassle the Patriots. But they sure did.

Odd to go from a feeling of sure victory to a feeling of "season is over" in so few minutes. I'm glad the players have more intestinal fortitude than I do. I thought I was gonna have a stroke, hehe. The Seahawks are better than their record, imo. They may have waited to long to sit Hass down to get better.

But some funny things happened along the way. We took more hits defensively (Bruschi, Wilfork, Sanders, and Vrabel briefly), we really missed Warren, and the guys who signed THIS WEEK had to play. Seau and Colvin played 28 of 57 defensive snaps! If they were not former Patriots that would have been all but impossible. Props to them and to Bill and Scott for making those calls.

Over one game, we saw the defense step up. Really, they were never "bad" after the first half. I think they let up for a split second on the Branch scamper thinking he had stepped out. And it was a good play by Deion. He was loved here for a reason, right?

Cassel is gaining near legendary status in my books for taking a beating in order to wait out a route and for making excellent decisions under pressure. His ability to forget drops and to stay focused under the gun (from defenses or unfavourable scores) is nothing short of impressive.
If he had another year of live experience on THIS team, he'd become an elite QB. He just needs to deep routes to come together more often and that's learn-able. He certainly doesn't lack the arm strength. What will happen to him elsewhere is hard to guess. Hopefully he bases his decision on a good system to play in. In some of these games, I'm not sure Brady would have done more than marginally better, though again, those deep route passes would be more spot on.

83945838.jpg

Wes Welker and Randy Moss are both receivers that genuinely warrant double coverage and will be a fierce tandem for the foreseeable future. Moss did a lot more in that game than he'll be credited with. The connection for him and Cassel seems hard to read, and maybe it's more a product of Cassel being undeveloped than chemistry. Still he made key plays from drawing coverage to making a nice sideline catch. Welker is a beast, though. How the heck this guy can take that kind of a beating is beyond me, but he bounces back by being MORE dangerous. He and Cassel deserve a lot of credit for having us in contention right now, however slim the margin for error might be. In a regular AFCE year, our record is good enough make us feel confident. This is by NO MEANS a regular year.

83945846.jpg

Gaffney is underrated. Seriously, we ride this guy and undercredit him, but he's a good football player. I think if it's reasonable, he will re-sign. He's made us angry a couple of times, but he's also been downright clutch.

83947038.jpg

Our depth on defense is better than we though. Or at least better than I thought. I was genuinely impressed with our patchwork D-Line. Absolutely everyone was playing well by the second half. Fundamental football ended up saving the day. After this game (two unretired vets and a slew of untested kids taking the field) Bill cannot be questioned as being the best coach in the NFL today. NO other coach can overcome these losses. Look at each key loss and think of how many other teams JUST ONE of them would have brought down.

I don't know what will happen next week and the Cards game certainly looks a little spooky from here. Regardless, as of today I feel like I am watching a second legendary season in a row being played out by the New England Patriots, and it's a great feeling!

83947039.jpg
83945366.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Things I learned from the game (Seahawks).

If we go 11-5 and win the division, this has to rank up there with BB's best coaching jobs. I still think 2001 takes the cake, but what a job this season. Even without mentioning Brady, the injuries on defense alone should have been enough to kill this team, but somehow we find ourselves in a 3-way tie for first with just 3 games to go.

Of course, we still have to win 3 in a row.

In some of these games, I'm not sure Brady would have done more than marginally better, though again, those deep route passes would be more spot on.

I gotta disagree on this one. Yesterday was not Cassel's best game by any stretch. In fact, I'd say it was a revert to some of the traits we saw before he really caught on fire - tucking and running too early, marginal pocket presence, inconsistent accuracy. He made a couple magnificent plays and hung in the pocket for some big hits, but I think Brady would've chewed that defense apart for 40+ points. Probably a lot of that can be attributed to an O-Line that was not as consistent as it was in some previous weeks.

I'm glad we got the W, and I'm glad Cassel made some big plays, but in terms of his stock and trade-ability, I don't think it was helped by his play yesterday. I don't think it was hurt either, though. We need him to play a little bit better down the stretch both to get us into the playoffs and earn us a bounty of picks in the offseason.

Last edited:

I gotta disagree on this one. Yesterday was not Cassel's best game by any stretch. In fact, I'd say it was a revert to some of the traits we saw before he really caught on fire - tucking and running too early, marginal pocket presence, inconsistent accuracy. He made a couple magnificent plays and hung in the pocket for some big hits, but I think Brady would've chewed that defense apart for 40+ points. Probably a lot of that can be attributed to an O-Line that was not as consistent as it was in some previous weeks.

I don't disagree, I said "in some of these games". Tom is going to come back with a vengeance next year, but I think Cassel is very good QB in the making.

our HOF coach is the best in shuffling guys around when needed. One of the traits im proud to have him. GO PATS!!!

I don't disagree, I said "in some of these games". Tom is going to come back with a vengeance next year, but I think Cassel is very good QB in the making.

Once big difference between the two QBs is that Brady terrifies the opposing D.C. while Cassel doesn't. Blitzing Brady just gets a team killed faster, and if you don't blitz you die the death of 1,000 cuts (unless you're the Giants in the Super Bowl). Blitzing Cassel isn't nearly as suicidal.

Cassel Update:
+ Hangs in the pocket as well or better than most. Taks a lickin and keeps on tickin.
+ Has reached the point where he checks thru a couple options vs looking to turtle early
+ Greatly improved sense of the pass rush; still substantial room to improve
+ Quite accurate in the short to medium range throws
+ Outstanding runing ability
+ Throws well on the roll out; better than Brady in this aspect

- Lacks the Zen calmness needed to throw the deep ball; timing & accuracy need development
- Sometimes he blatantly telegraphs a play. Example: On the 2 pt after he stared left, directly at w3 and then threw the ball to him. Good throw. Made it. A superior CB reading his head coulda gambled and made that into a pick 6 and end of game. Why NOT gamble in that situation?

Last edited:

MC compares favorably with cumulative aggregate talent of QB's around the league.

MC joins the 99.9% of all other QB's who do not compare favorably to TB.

If Tampa or Minnesota had current Cassel as their QB, both teams could be legit Super Bowl teams.

- Sometimes he blatantly telegraphs a play. Example: On the 2 pt after he stared left, directly at w3 and then threw the ball to him. Good throw. Made it. A superior CB reading his head coulda gambled and made that into a pick 6 and end of game. Why NOT gamble in that situation?

Um... He can't make a pick six out of a 2 point conversion.

Last edited:

Not-so-minor point: defenses cannot score points on a PAT or 2-point try, period. If they gain possession of the ball, the attempt fails, and a kickoff follows, as normal.

Last edited:

Not-so-minor point: defenses cannot score points on a PAT or 2-point try, period. If they gain possession of the ball, the attempt fails, and a kickoff follows, as normal.

DUH!

Not even the excuse of having a senior momemt.

LEARN THE GAME, Phil!

I'm glad we got the W, and I'm glad Cassel made some big plays, but in terms of his stock and trade-ability, I don't think it was helped by his play yesterday. I don't think it was hurt either, though. We need him to play a little bit better down the stretch both to get us into the playoffs and earn us a bounty of picks in the offseason.

good realistic post man......

I watched the game again, to appreciate it a little more. 4th and goal with under 3 minutes left in the game, Patriots can't stop the clock because they have only 1 timeout... the season came down to one play. And thankfully, Morris got in to the end zone, and kept the Patriots' hopes alive. A few inches short and it would come to a disappointing end. What an exciting game.

I thought it was too close for comfort, the 4th and goal touchdown by Morris. He got in by inches, and only because in mid air, he spun his body so that his ball carrying arm ended up coming down forward.....

Our depth on defense is better than we though. Or at least better than I thought. I was genuinely impressed with our patchwork D-Line. Absolutely everyone was playing well by the second half. Fundamental football ended up saving the day. After this game (two unretired vets and a slew of untested kids taking the field) Bill cannot be questioned as being the best coach in the NFL today. NO other coach can overcome these losses. Look at each key loss and think of how many other teams JUST ONE of them would have brought down.

I think this is a sign of a good defensive philosophy that just needs a good in flux of talent in the off-season to be great. Look at a team like San Diego, who's defensive drop off is substantial when they lose one guy (Merriman). Or the Colts when they play without Sanders. Those teams have noticeable drop-offs from one guy.

We've lost some huge pieces, seemingly one every game, and keep fighting. We're not a great defense, but our starters by half-time of that game were Seymour-Wright-Smith/Green on the DL, Vrabel-Mayo the rookie-Seau off the street-Guyton the undrafted at LB, and Hobbs-Wilhite a 4th rounder-Meriweather-??? I don't even remember who our other safety was when Sanders left.

I don't care who you're playing, you're basically playing your second string defense against them and practically shut them down in the second half. I'm impressed.

Morris is a short yardage stud. I pray he stays healthy as 3rd/4th and short will be crucial down the stretch.

Most encouraging part of the game to me was having Seau and Colvin play the entire 2nd half with the team just giving up 7 points (a half where Seattle got the ball first). Take away Branch's big play and it's a shutout with those 2 in.

Gotta agree there i saw some plays where the Blitz was picked up and Cassel instead of going through his reads he tucked it and ran for zero gain or was sacked. He needed to have a little more patience on those plays...he left alot of plays on the Field with some Bledsoe like passes falling at the receivers ankles. That said he made the plays when they counted on the last drive converting some fine 3rd down plays.

Interestingly, BB on WEEI said it was one of Cassel's better games. He said Cassel made the right decisions, throwing the ball away several times when nobody was open to prevent lost yardage. BB was impressed by Cassel's toughness as he mentioned that several times Matt steped up right into the rush to throw the ball for a completion knowing he'd get smacked in the middle defenseless. Just Bill's opinion.

Gotta say that he is relaxed & fun loving on WEEI's Patriot Monday.

Gotta say that he is relaxed & fun loving on WEEI's Patriot Monday.

He definitely responds differently to different interviews. He's always super jovial with Mike Lynch, too.

Over one game, we saw the defense step up. Really, they were never "bad" after the first half. I think they let up for a split second on the Branch scamper thinking he had stepped out. And it was a good play by Deion. He was loved here for a reason, right?

I still don't understand how the zebras didn't rule him OOB. It looked like a no-brainer from my bar's-eye view.

In some of these games, I'm not sure Brady would have done more than marginally better, though again, those deep route passes would be more spot on.

Brady wins the Dolts & Squeelers games, and maybe the Jesters, too.

83945838.jpg

Wes Welker and Randy Moss are both receivers that genuinely warrant double coverage and will be a fierce tandem for the foreseeable future. Moss did a lot more in that game than he'll be credited with. The connection for him and Cassel seems hard to read, and maybe it's more a product of Cassel being undeveloped than chemistry. Still he made key plays from drawing coverage to making a nice sideline catch.

Moss doesn't need to be double-teamed after Thanksgiving, and he continues to get away with OPI. The FO needs to find & develop a WR of the Future, just not with a Top-100 pick.

83945846.jpg

Gaffney is underrated. Seriously, we ride this guy and undercredit him, but he's a good football player. I think if it's reasonable, he will re-sign. He's made us angry a couple of times, but he's also been downright clutch.

He catches the more difficult passes, but drops the easier ones, esp. those that would've resulted in TDs. Very frustrating.

83947038.jpg

I think that it was more a case of the SeaHags just being the SeaHags rather than our defense executing better, though they certainly couldn't have played any worse than they did on those first 2 drives.

I don't know what will happen next week and the Cards game certainly looks a little spooky from here. Regardless, as of today I feel like I am watching a second legendary season in a row being played out by the New England Patriots, and it's a great feeling!

83947039.jpg
83945366.jpg

Good post, and I like the pics. They made it look like an SI article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes