PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Things About to Get Ugly in Baltimore

Interesting how Coach Harbagh wanted to cut Rice immediately--upon seeing the outside-the-elevator tape. And was countered by all the higher-ups.

Piecing together things from the ESPN story and other sources:

1. Within hours of the February 15 incident, the Ravens' head of security (Darren Sanders) gets details of what happened from an Atlantic City policy officer who happens to be a Ravens fan and who viewed the video, and communicates them to team President **** Cass

2. The Ravens apparently never requested a copy of the video, but tried to suppress it - the implication being that they new the evidence was damning and didn't want to see it. That includes not attempting to obtain it through the authorities, not attempting to obtain it through the hotel (and a TMZ reporter today claimed that the news agency obtained the video by a simple phone call to the hotel), and later not attempting to obtain it through Rice's attorney.

3. The Ravens apparently decided that they could brazen this out even though they realized that the video evidence would be toxic, and decided on a strategy of aggressive plea bargaining, leaning on the New Jersey law authorities, and leaning on the NFL to minimize the events and punishment. Cass seems to have been the point man in all of this. It seems like Ozzie Newsome was influenced by his personal relationship with Rice. The team apparently stuck with this strategy even after the charges against Rice were upgrade to aggravated assault, and despite being told by Rice's attorney that the video evidence was damning.

4. When the sh*t hit the fan, the team jettisoned Ray Rice and claimed that they had not realized the severity of the circumstances, claiming that the video "changed everything", even though Ozzie Newsome said that Ray Rice had been completely candid about what transpired.

I understand this is an ESPN story, but if it can be corroborated, ouch.

This is not just a Ravens issue. Do you think the other owners are saints and have no knowledge of this or doesn't try to cover up their own players? They're all probably texting each other as we speak.

Of course I have no evidence. Just a disclaimer. But I don't think there are any organization that doesn't try to sweep these things under the rug.

Hate to say it, but Harbaugh comes out of this report looking pretty good.

I can't see how **** Cass and Steve Biscotti don't get suspended and fined in some way. The only guy who comes out looking good in all this is John Harbaugh.

This is deja vu. I remember in 2007 how ESPN started a witch hunt on the pats with mike fish being sent to find more evidence on the pats , track matt walsh and all that. That network was its worst vs the pats and couldnt wait to get the team crucified. Now they have done the same to the ravens , accurate or not. Just shows how much power these moronic media holds .

Accurate or not? Seriously? So it doesn't matter if it 's accurate or not? If it's accurate , it's /exactly/ what journalists are supposed to do. Or, it's accurate and they aren't supposed to report it because? Reasons?

Accurate or not? Seriously? So it doesn't matter if it 's accurate or not? If it's accurate , it's /exactly/ what journalists are supposed to do. Or, it's accurate and they aren't supposed to report it because? Reasons?
I said neither. I just reminisced. they are accurate on this maybe ,so sure, this is what they are supposed to do. But its not like they always follow the ethics of reporting accuracy. 2007 is the example I gave.
To be clear Iam not siding with the ravens. Just my dislike for that network resurfaced.

about to get ugly?

ugly = Baltimore...like, forever
Go through Balt via Amtrak and parts of it make Mogadish appear attractive

You have to imagine that goodell needs to step down now, and the next guy up has to take a first round pick from the ravens at a minimum.

Goodell has to step down. A true business savvy lawyer or CEO needs to become the head of the NFL as chairman of the board and the Stalinesque power of Der Kommissardell broken apart and delegated to seasoned pros in the various NFL branches.

The "Reign Of Error" needs to come to an end.

I can't see how **** Cass and Steve Biscotti don't get suspended and fined in some way. The only guy who comes out looking good in all this is John Harbaugh.

Scumbag pieces of **** like Cass and Biscotti need be deported off the continent. There's far too many of them in this world. Put them all in an island with no technology, no food, no escape off the island and let them fend for themselves and destroy each other since that's what they do best.

Any organization is going to try to get through an incident like this without seeing the punch thrown. Both drunk and they figured she punched on him til he got pissed and hit her back. The thinking was Ray Rice was such a cool guy with no history of crime that he didn't hit her to hard and she was out from being drunk more so than the punch. Of course the team wanted to believe that's what happened and no reason to see the actual fight and move on. Once the tape was out and everybody saw how hard and vicious the punch was and the team management heard and saw him rock her like that there as no more giving Ray Rice benefit of believing he wouldn't nail her like that. And knew they had to cut him. Harbaugh knew ray rice had to be cut after he just heard about the video. The league shouldn't have done anything. Who was going to sign him after that and the Ravens dont owe him any more $$. By interfering the league got themselves in trouble and investigated for not being honest about tape. If league did see tapes how did they think the tapes would not have hit news and public

I think we can scratch the Ravens off the list of teams we have to worry about this season.

I don't normally disagree with much of what you say, but I don't really see why we can just automatically cross the Baltimore Ravens off of the list of contenders because of a cover up about a player who's no longer there?

If I remember correctly, many predicted the same for our teams a couple of times over now.

Baltimore sure looked pretty good last Thursday in their divisional game vs PIT. They have a viable enough running game, an improved passing game (Pitta, Daniels, Torrey Smith, Steve Smith), and a defense that is stingy enough to remain competitive. I think they can certainly compete for a wildcard spot, with something around a 9-7 record myself.

I've been saying the same thing since day 1. No one cares that Rice entered a diversionary program and charges were dropped, but damn the NFL to hell for suspending him 2 games when they should have suspended him 6!

I hear you and share your outrage, but as someone with a fair amount of education in the criminal justice system, the unfortunate truth is that Ray Rice really wouldn't have gone to jail either way.

While domestic violence is a horrible, despicable act that shows the immaturity (amongst other things) of a so-called "man," it's also a very common charge that occurs many times throughout the day, and rarely warrants jail/prison time with the exception of repeat offenders or very serious bodily injury. In order for his 3rd degree charge to be bumped up to a 2nd degree charge, he would have had to inflict what they deem as "serious and permanent bodily harm."

Here is a statement from the NJ prosecutor explaining it in better detail: http://patch.com/maryland/bowie/pro...ed-jail-time-even-if-convicted-0#.VB0bHGOuSGI

It's a shame though, and something that should be stiffened up as far as laws go.

Yet, the actual justice system doesn't care enough to even try the case? Where's the outrage there?

Not sure of the normal legal process in this matter. I assume when you punch someone hard enough to knock them out, there is a law that can be used to prosecute IF there is a prosecutor willing to push (having a victim willing to push will help too). However, the legal process isn't about justice and isn't about what's right.
Either way I see your general point and agree. There's other stories, perfect example being Ray Lewis, that deserved outrage - as much outrage - even greater of outrage and condemnation. But if ESPN, CNN, NYT etc etc don't put grieving parents and fatherless children on the front page then pan to the unveiling of Lewis' Statue, wide outrage and condemnation is much much less likely to happen. There's probably a lot of people expressing outrage over this RR/NFL issue, and now outraged at the Ravens organization, that have no idea the Ravens deified a player with a shockingly bad track record while a member.
Such is the power of the media: to be able to (in part) steer the conversation and the conscience of the masses.

By who?

I hear you and share your outrage, but as someone with a fair amount of education in the criminal justice system, the unfortunate truth is that Ray Rice really wouldn't have gone to jail either way.

While domestic violence is a horrible, despicable act that shows the immaturity (amongst other things) of a so-called "man," it's also a very common charge that occurs many times throughout the day, and rarely warrants jail/prison time with the exception of repeat offenders or very serious bodily injury. In order for his 3rd degree charge to be bumped up to a 2nd degree charge, he would have had to inflict what they deem as "serious and permanent bodily harm."

Here is a statement from the NJ prosecutor explaining it in better detail: http://patch.com/maryland/bowie/pro...ed-jail-time-even-if-convicted-0#.VB0bHGOuSGI

It's a shame though, and something that should be stiffened up as far as laws go.

Sup, he knocked her out cold for an extended period of time. Concussions like that most certainly fall under the category of "serious and permanent bodily harm. If a prosecutor doesn't deem that worthy of a jail sentence i have no idea what it would take to get them to charge it, short of a dead body. And if anything his behavior after knocking her out demonstrated such a shocking lack of concern or conscience that I have to believe he's done it before. Any normal person would have been on their knees trying to help her an get help, he's standing there like she's an inconvenience.

I don't normally disagree with much of what you say, but I don't really see why we can just automatically cross the Baltimore Ravens off of the list of contenders because of a cover up about a player who's no longer there?

If I remember correctly, many predicted the same for our teams a couple of times over now.

Baltimore sure looked pretty good last Thursday in their divisional game vs PIT. They have a viable enough running game, an improved passing game (Pitta, Daniels, Torrey Smith, Steve Smith), and a defense that is stingy enough to remain competitive. I think they can certainly compete for a wildcard spot, with something around a 9-7 record myself.

I agree, I thought the Ravens defense looked really tough against Pittsburgh, and while I have never been a big fan of Flacco i think they have enough to win their division if Cincy falter , or get a WC if they don't.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back