Welcome to PatsFans.com

They Aren't Real People Anyway

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wildo7, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080725/D9256EH80.html

Pa. teens charged in fatal beating of immigrant
    Email this Story

Jul 25, 7:49 PM (ET)

By MICHAEL RUBINKAM

PORT CARBON, Pa. (AP) - Three white teens were charged Friday in what officials said was an epithet-filled fatal beating of an illegal Mexican immigrant in a small northeast Pennsylvania coal town. Brandon J. Piekarsky, 16, and Colin J. Walsh, 17, were charged as adults with homicide and ethnic intimidation in the July 12 attack on Luis Ramirez.

A third teen, Derrick M. Donchak, 18, was charged with aggravated assault, ethnic intimidation and other offenses. All are from Shenandoah, where the attack occurred.

Additional charges are expected in the case that has roiled Shenandoah, a small, economically depressed town where police have reported friction between whites and a growing Hispanic population.

The suspects played football at Shenandoah Valley High School; Donchak, now enrolled at Bloomsburg University, was the quarterback last season.
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +503 / 6 / -2

The man's death is a tragedy, and the perpetrators of the crime should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. However, I think your intent here is ridiculous. Those of us who opposed ILLEGAL immigration, and an open border policy, don't think of immigrants as "not real people". Somehow, someway, you seem to be insinuating that people like myself, would fist pump at news like this. News like this is awful, but it doesn't affect my views on illegal, versus legal immigration.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +504 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

You would have a point if they weren't charged with a crime. But they were which makes this typical drivel from those who wish to label Republicans as racists and general haters.
  4. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Not at all. I'm just saying that these are the dangers of scapegoating a small segment of the population for societies ills. It happened post-9/11 with attacks on Muslims and Sikhs, it's happening today as the anti-immigrant rhetoric gets vamped up, and it happened to an extreme in Nazi Germany with the Jews. Once you start blaming a minority for everything, they naturally become targets. This is only worsened by the transformation of rhetoric from "illegal immigration is a problem" to "these people are crimaliens who don't respect our laws." It's an escalation of language like that that demonizes a people and desensitizes society's sympathy towards them. That's what I was trying to say with the Sunbathing thread and why I got pissed when in turned into a "you're comparing America to Hitler" straw man
  5. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

i didn't say anything about republicans.

And the fact they were charged is irrelevant. A larger segment of the population is thinking to themselves that this is less of a crime than if a white citizen had been attacked because "they are criminals who break our country's laws when they come in" and "they take jobs away from Americans" and all of the anti-immigration talking points. Not to mention that it probably wouldn't have happened if you didn't have the Lou Dobbs (DEMOCRAT) of the world convincing people that all of our problems were due to mexican criminals streaming over the border.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +650 / 2 / -9

Oh Boy We Got Some White Guys
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +503 / 6 / -2

Here you go again comparing the attempted extermination of an ethnic group, to the illegal immigration issue here in the states. That an incident occurs in a nation of 300 million people is clearly the exception, as opposed to the rule. As BF said somewhere else, when we start rounding up illegals and sending them to gas chambers, then I'll agree with you. This is a singular incident of evil by a couple of thugs.
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +503 / 6 / -2

I'm not sure what country you live in, or what language you speak, but where do you certify that the "larger segment" of the population is thinking that this is less of a crime than were it a "white" man? That's an ignorant statement on a number of levels.
  9. schmessy

schmessy Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yep, it's man bites dog.