PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"They are beatable"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaedalusX

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I'm going to throw out a hypothetical that I think is reasonable to consider if we're only two games away from taking it all at this point.

All year we've heard about how this team is beatable. We've heard about blueprints to get it done. We've heard about the weaknesses that can be exploited. And we've seen every attempt so far fail.

If this team -- already regarded as possibly the best team to ever take the field in the NFL -- if it goes 19-0, will we finally hear a litany of pundits, opposing teams and opposing fans finally admit that they were not beatable?

There is a clear distinction here between what the '72 Dolphins did and what the 2007 Patriots are doing. They played and beat all but one AFC playoff team. They played and beat three of the NFC playoff contenders, including the top seed. The '72 Dolphins were unbeaten in their match-ups. The 2007 Patriots have been unbeaten and by all reasonable measure have been unbeatable.

I recognize that there will always be those who will say "they got lucky in Baltimore" or "other teams made critical mistakes that could have put them away." But will there finally be some mainstream belief and recognition that this team, this year, was unbeatable?

I'm going to throw out a hypothetical that I think is reasonable to consider if we're only two games away from taking it all at this point.

All year we've heard about how this team is beatable. We've heard about blueprints to get it done. We've heard about the weaknesses that can be exploited. And we've seen every attempt so far fail.

If this team -- already regarded as possibly the best team to ever take the field in the NFL -- if it goes 19-0, will we finally hear a litany of pundits, opposing teams and opposing fans finally admit that they were not beatable?

There is a clear distinction here between what the '72 Dolphins did and what the 2007 Patriots are doing. They played and beat all but one AFC playoff team. They played and beat three of the NFC playoff contenders, including the top seed. The '72 Dolphins were unbeaten in their match-ups. The 2007 Patriots have been unbeaten and by all reasonable measure have been unbeatable.

I recognize that there will always be those who will say "they got lucky in Baltimore" or "other teams made critical mistakes that could have put them away." But will there finally be some mainstream belief and recognition that this team, this year, was unbeatable?

Every team is beatable - including this one.

The guys in the locker room know that better than anyone else.

That's precisely why they won't be beat.

Last edited:

That's some pretty circular logic.

But will there finally be some mainstream belief and recognition that this team, this year, was unbeatable?

Grudgingly, yes, but they can't all give 100% credit as we may wish. They aren't that big.

The hasn't finished yet though. Even though I'm in awe of what this team can do, I still recognize that strange things can happen in a game (Denver) and the team has not yet finished. Before we hold a hot poker to somebody's eye it might be best to get the irrefutable fact on our side.

Every team is beatable as long as the season is still being played. Once the season is over and a team finishes unbeaten, then they were UNBEATABLE that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes